Who wants a race?????
Tetley has been making it very clear for a few days now that he would like a real gallop. So I got up early this morning before it was too hot and took him up to our interval training ground. We did 3 1/3 mile spins. The first was supposed to be half spped buthe had other ideas, I only had a snaffle on him and I simply couldn't hold him. We did better the second time, after walking back down for a breather, and the third was flat out. I had alsmost forgotten how addicted I am to his sheer power. He is very fast for a big horse, he has no trouble getting round inside the time at Novice (- 520 metres per minute - try it one day and then imagine 25 jumps too.) And he runs for sheer fun, he doesn't even need to be with someone for a race. It was grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.
I had to shower him off for ages when we got back, he would not leave the yard until I turned off the hosepipe! Hopefully, that will help keep his waistline in trim for a few days. I know the ground was uneven, but it was impossible at any time on the ride to tell that he had any problems at all.
I am upset with the WOW though. It has marked him, and it is the brand new one :-( Lumps in exactly the same place as the one Tia was getting. I'm going to open up the panels like I did hers, and cut off the hard edge that is touching him. I don't know why they make them like it, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose, or perform any differently when I cut it off.
Interestingly, neither of these saddles marked until I did that particular ride in them. I think that the stresses and strains of the hill path that I go up and down must be very severe. No wonder I was always the first user to find out what the EE saddles did under extreme conditions. I hope that I can cure this, but at the worst case I will use a gelpad with all three of them. Looking at Tia and Tetley's muscle development in the shoulder area in them, there is no way that I will be getting rid of them if I can help it.
Tia's had the day off. Caddy is eating, and eating, oh, and, well, eating. But not putting on the weight you would expect. I conclude from that that he is growing, because it's going somewhere! He's a bucket-smacker food-launcher :-))) You know - when they pick up one forefoot and tap the front edge of the bucket with it and send food fountaining all over the stable? Time for a tyre I think!!
C.

2 Comments:
I remember once, just once, letting my now old man PJ "out" to go for speed. I am not even sure he reached maximum velocity but it took my breath away. Thoroughbreds acutuall switch grears, you can feel it. He was in fifth when the dirt road started to end.
We were out riding with another Thoroughbred who stood at least an inch taller. He and is rider were just a dot on the horizon behind us when I pulled up.
Exhilarating but terrifying at the same time to realize just how much power I had under me. I am feeling your ride on Tetley even as I type. Wow, what a glorious trip!
If Caddy's not getting fat, then he's getting taller. Typical teenage boy, I suspect. Is Tia the "watchmare" still looking out for him? *G*
Tia and Caddy had a mutual scratch yesterday so I think they are friends now. :-)
C
Post a Comment
<< Home