A BIG competition
We didn't have a good start today. The lorry wouldn't start and Superhubby had to get the superbooster machine out and fiddle for five minutes. Unfortunately he'd forgotten his shut-down routine last time we used it, and left the water pump switched on (not water again!!) and it had completely deadened the batteries. We've had the superbooster since we had a very unreliable old Bedford. We hardly use it, but when you need it it's a godsend.
Anyway, we get underway and are swinging along around the bends when ....... a cupboard door bangs and our portable TV nearly falls out and smashes on the floor. I shot through from the front into the living like a rat up a drainpipe I can tell you! Another legacy of Superhubby shut-down failure - he hadn't put the pins in to lock the doors. Yes, yes, I could have checked , I know!!
So it didn't seem like we were really destined to do well today, but we have got to the bottom of Tia's issues showjumping I think. And of course it was the rider, as it so often is :- ) When I face a really big course, I use NLP (neurolinguistic programming - talking yourself into it!!) I imagine that I jump a fence before the first fence, to get me started, and then one after the last fence, to stop that common fault of knocking the last one down. Well, I went into the ring and imagined going for my "first" fence - and she was not with me. She was hanging back and unsure what I really wanted. So it was me at Draycott, remembering Rodbaston (which may or may not have been me - do I sound like Jack Sparrow here :-)?
So I sent her strongly forward, "jumped" my fence, and then flew around the rest of the clear round course. The same happened in the competition - and we WON! Now, please calm down. Do not excite yourselves unduly. There were three in the class and the other two knocked down two and we only knocked down one. I told you it was a tiny show!!! But it did the job as a training exercise.
Something funny happened on the way home! Just half a mile from home we were stopped by a Department of Transport Vehicle Checkpoint. This as we are trying to get back for the kick-off of "that game". (In case you don't know over the pond there, there's a football (that's soccer to you, REAL football :-) World Cup on. He crawled all over the lorry looking for things wrong. Didn't find any (thanks to Superhubby) and as a last thing, asked us to use the window washers. Now lorry windows are big things, and lorry wash-wipes on old vehicles are pathetic when you have a window full of bugsplats on teh motorway. So Superhubby had changed the washwater delivery so it gushes out directly onto the blade. So when the blade wipes, it pushes a jet of water straight off the windscreen and fountains it directly over the head of the man from the Department of Transport ....... thankfully he saw the funny side!
Tetley is lovely but needs some sharp work tomorrow for his waistline. I'll get up early before it roasts like today. Caddy is going in the other direction from Tetley, reducing in fitness and his chest is getting deeper as a result. He's wolfing food too, and looking good.
Tia is such a horse. You should see her at a showground. She is just so calm and quiet and easy to manage. She's looking a picture, performing brilliantly and it is going to be a challenge at the end of the season to decide whether she should be sold to try to recover the money I lost on Smartie, or whether to keep her for another season. The weather closing in for winter might help me make up my mind on that. Meanwhile, she has been the best thing horse-wise to have happened to me this year. (Though I hope Caddy might overtake her in that in time.) Oh blimey, I can hear the chorus of "keep her"'s from here!
C

5 Comments:
Bravo Caroline!
Tia is turning into a real champ! She is gorgeous too. Would you have any pics from the"tiny" show?
Thanks God, MY superhubby is NOT into "real football". But tomorrow is the Silverstone GP, much more important. Especially as MY superhubby designs one car. Now which one would it be? A clue. We live in Italy LOL !
Cant wait for more pics of Tia.
she's just getting better and better... I'd hang on to her at least until you know how Cadd's goining to turn out. Or keep them both and do less with Tet's...or perhaps superhubby can have Tetley! (and all the associated jobs that go with it! of course)
Having three horses is a grand thing, I can tell you. Somehow the money issue gets outweighed by the sheer pleasure of looking out and seeing 12 legs. *G*
The other nice thing is that when you are riding one, the other two can keep each other company.
So what that there were only three in the class? YOU went clean and clear. What a sweet victory for both you and the proving herself every day Tia!! Way to go, Girls!
As for Superhubby, have you considered cloning? The world of horsewomen in particular are in desperate need of copies. What a wonderful guy.
Love the "washer and the cop" story. *LOL*
The washer story had me laughing out loud - well done! Interesting that you were stopped though.
Well done Tia - she is obviously super sensitive, so all you will have to do is imagine your dressage test and she will perform (hope!).
As for selling/keeping - there is a LONG way to go yet, it depends on whether you want to keep buying and producing horses and moving them on or having them for your own pleasure in which case 3 is probably "easier" than 2, if you can afford it.
I have one horse at the moment,(plus a companion) he is a lightly worked 8 and I intend to keep him; with luck and if he keeps sound he might see me out to the end of my riding days but with horses, who knows?
Yep, it is hot but nice to ride in the early morning.
Judith
I had always heard that Englishmen were good car designers Muriel. It must be true. I hope the right car wins!
Superhubby have Tetley! What are you saying!!!! To be honest, if Superhubby decided he wanted to start riding too, we'd never be away from each other and I think that might be too much sharing! (And he won't pick up poo, so chore sharing is out!!)
Do less with Tetley? What are you saying!!!! :-) The poor boy thinks he's been left out in the cold this year with Tia going everywhere and not him. He lives to work and compete, I can't leave him standing about doing nothing, he'd hate it.
The check was routine, Judith, in a layby near home, they were stopping vehicles randomly. But I did hold my breath as I realised that Tia's passport was at home. Thankfully they were only interested in tread depth and a nice shower!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home