Nearly!
It was a good job one of my scheduled court cases today was transferred to the upstairs court. The guy starved a horse to death a few years ago and was banned from ever keeping horses for life. He's back in court for keeping a horse when he is not meant to, and I would have had some trouble dealing with him impartially!! I would probably have had to stand down anyway, and declare that I was too emotionally involved with the case. I don't know what happened to him.
Anyway, I haven't had time to do much with the bunch. Tetley is the same, pretty much sound on one rein in trot but not on the other. Happy as Larry though. Tia has thrown a small splint. I might have missed it yesterday, or it may have come up today. I don't know if she's sound on it - she seemed to be as she went out, but I'll find out tomorrow. Splints are par for the course for eventers but she may need a week or so to sort it out. Bad timing :-(!
Caddy is lovely. Absolutely lovely. I was picking out his feet tonight for the first real time and he has the mother and father of a sheared heel on the near hind. The hoofpick practically disappeared :-0. My experience of sheared heels is that they go hand in hand (foot in foot??) with contracted feet, and I was pretty convinced that his deep little feet were actually contracted. The shear will disappear as his feet spread, if I keep it plugged with cotton wool and sudocreme. I love the stuff anyway, it smells gorgeous! Foot photos tomorrow, I promise (maybe!)
Peace reigns out in the field. Today for the first time Tia is not trying to stay between Tetley and Caddy. Tetley is now in the middle and the other two an equal distance away from him.
Draycott is definitely running at the weekend. So if Tia's splint is not causing a problem, we'll be competing again. Please don't expect quite as stunning as result as last time - she knows what it's about this time and it is entirely possible that she will be a bit more cautious than she was at Rodbaston.
C.

8 Comments:
I know sudocrem is fantastic stuff, use it myself, but smells gorgeous? mmmm
messy as well....
ooooo my new pet hate is splints on barefoot horses. Hearing about too many of these and either I'm noticing it too much or its happening too much - can't decide.
When you say it's par for the course for Eventers, have you experienced them on shod and unshod in equal amounts? (Honestly?) My horse had one in November last year, I ignored it and it grew to nearly a golf ball size. It's half that now, but I had to rest her off completely to get it to reduce. Gutted with it (ugly thing) but horse was never lame throughout.
Keep a close eye on it C, I'd hate for you to end up with one of these on Tia.
Interested to hear other's views on this one.. Tracey
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure I have the confidence, but I don;t know about spark-he's scared of water, ditches...
"Throw your heart over the fence first," they used to say. I never quite had the nerve when I felt my horse start to question. So...now I am a dressage rider instead. *G*
It's great to hear the little herd is getting on so well. I'm also glad Caddy is all you'd hoped he'd be. Now, if you can just be patient with his feet and give him the time he needs before you start to work him....reminder from "Auntie Jean."
May the weekend bring sunny skies and Tiaterrific! (and sound on that splint, of course.) Why is it that having a nice horse can be just as frustrating as having a not nice one?
Now my area is being plagued by mosquitoes. These are the ones that seem to hang out near the ground eating horse legs and bellies. I took poor Toby out for a hack in the woods and he was nearly frantic. Well bug sprayed he was still being assaulted while I, on his back didn't figure out what was bothering him so much until we trotted home and I saw the little monsters swarming aound his legs. I felt soooooo guilty!
Claire it's got lavender in it - it's lovely! And messy? Just rub it into your hands, wonderful hand cream :-)
Tracey I can honestly say that I have had no trouble whatsoever with barefoot and splints. Tia's was, I think, a knock and not a true splint. It's a little lump and yesterday it was slightly sore and today it isn't. I have done three other horses myself and known seven other working horses go barefoot and not one of them developed splints. But they are extremely common, and a very substantial proportion of horses who jump will get one or more. It's a shame yours has caused such a big blemish, but they are almost always purely cosmetic once they're hard.
Ah Steph, then you have to transfer your courage to him!
Yuck, Jean I'd rather have our rain than your mosquitos!
C
it's got lavender in it - it's lovely! And messy? Just rub it into your hands, wonderful hand cream :-)
didn't know that about the lavender, must go and have another sniff! might try the rub in rather than the wash off, which is my usual (commonly after i've got it all over whatever i'm wearing at the time!)
Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»
Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home