Progress
I have bought a gel pad to use on Caddy. I am hoping that the fact that it will wrap right over the top of the lump will "massage" it into submission over time without actually irritating it. Robinsons had a "cut back wither" one dead cheap on the web that isn’t in the catalogue - £15. If he doesn't like it then I will try the sheepskin as I too have had great results with them in the past. Or maybe even both together??? I will experiment. The beauty of the WOW saddles, of course, is that I can let the air out of the bags or change the gullet plate to fit other stuff underneath.
Meanwhile, I've put cornucrescine on the lump, to bring some blood to the area to see if it will help. I had a horse with an infection in nearly the same place once and the vet told me that the area is very poorly supplied with blood. Cornucrescine can be used to speed the healing of closed-over cuts so it should be OK. He seems fine with it at the moment, after 6 hours in the sun.
More good news on Tetley – he did a proper schooling session today and he let me sit to the trot and he gave me lengthened strides. He can’t do either when he’s sore. Then at the end I let him have a canter around the field as a reward and he bolted off threatening to jump all the walls! He took some pulling up, the little toad :- ) When the weather cools down I will take him to the farm ride because he would so much enjoy going somewhere.
Tia continues to have trouble finding her own balance and is constantly tipping forwards and setting in the back. So today I took her up to school on a piece of land which is only flat-ish and covered in tussocks. Every time she lost her balance I let her find it for herself again by trotting her in a small circle. Eventually she worked out that it was a lot easier to balace in walk than to trot a small circle, and was great.
I'm still getting a small lump on Tia's back, so today I put a white marker on her and put the saddle on to see where it was touching. It was MUCH further back than I had thought. But there were also no lumps at all in the saddle at that point, though the leather was a little loose there. So I have undone the velcro and tightened it all up and we'll see if that solves it. Otherwise, Caddy won't be the only one in a gel pad!
It was showers all round again as we finished - the beauty of a spring water supply is you never get a hosepipe ban :-)
C.

6 Comments:
I am optimistic about the gel pad. As I said, it worked on Toby.
What great news about Tetley. Have to laugh about your "toad" comment. What a silly boy. At least he's telling you he thinks he's all better.
Hosing them off is so much easier than all that brushing. *G*
Hi Caroline,
I was wondering how you find yourself with the WOW saddle. We have ordered one, as my husband hates the Wintec Isabell.
Did you get use to the seat? I found a bit weird to sit in the saddle, but Linda's trot dramatically changed with the saddle. She was lifting more her shoulders.
Also being cheeky, I need your recipe of Devil's claw and Apple cider vinegar.
I am still enjoying to read your blog ;-)
Caroline
Have you thought of a suber pad for Caddy/Tia? Just a thought.
Also have to share this with you even though Tetley is so much better. I've just stumbled across what I can only describe as liquid gold. For a horse with ligament injuries who two weeks ago was unable to carry his right hind through underneath him and instead would either drag it badly and lift his leg from the hip or throw it out to the side he is now moving like some sort of a dressage horse?!?! He's so willing to work now rather than having to be nagged, he's striding out, he's soft through the back and literally swinging his back end underneath him...the cause? i've started feeding Boswellia Serrata (a 'natural' anti inflammatory like Devils Claw) but oh so much effective! I've tried bute and Devlis Claw and Cider Vinegar and now one really helped, not like this - it's like someone has oiled every joint,muscle and ligament!
The one i'm using is made by Pegasus Health and called NatureBute. It cost £42 and I think it'll last me about 2.5 months or so.
Just wanted to share this recent relevation for anybody with horses that have mobility problems. It's used very successfully in humans for arthirits and rheumetism and apparently has none of the long term effects that bute and Devils Claw can have (neither of which are apparently good to feed long term).
Cassie
Hi Muriel, good to hear from you. I love my WOWs. The only problem I have is with the second hand one, which is not as well put together as my new one. Tia gets a small lump in a little "gap" where the two airbags overlap. This "gap" is not present on any of the three new ones I know, mine and two others, so I think it has been solved in newer saddles.
It takes a good week to learn to enjoy sitting in them. And in fact Tetley's saddle is now more than two months old and has only just started to feel truly comfortable.
My friend's mare also went completely differently when I put my WOW on her - they were astonished at how her shoulders came up.
Devil's Claw recipe - Add 35 grams of devil's claw root (Hiltonherbs.com sell it) to each litre of cider vinegar, allow to steep for at least a week. Feed at 30 ml per day. See Cassie's comment first though!
Cassie, thanks I'll try the Naturebute if Tetley goes as unsound again. Your recommendation is pretty convincing!
I did consider a suber, but the WOW saddles won't be stable with added height unfortunately.
C
Hiya, Chriss here. Sorry so late posting. Suffice it to say the visit was GREAT and Allan really is the Superhubby (he managed to find a way to charge up my camera battery when all I'd brought was a US-style 100v connector!!)
Okay, must say more...Caddy is a doll, I LOVE Tia, and I'm tremendously grateful to Tetley for teaching me so much. I don't like warmbloods usually and he is really really really cool. And patient.
Caroline also, can't thank you enough for the last-minute hospitality, good conversation and riding lesson!
Tetley is such an amazing schoolmaster and just a neat horse to ride, even if he is about TWICE as big as a 'normal' horse ;-) Tia was even nice to me.
Hiya Muriel! It took me about three seconds to feel comfortable in CPT's WOW. I liked it a lot. I was even able to keep my stirrups! Can't make comparison with the Fhoenix since I was on drastically different horses but I felt secure & stable & balanced in the WOW. Would be awful heavy for little Horseface though.
Thanks again Caroline for some much needed 'decompression' time, I am facing this month much better having had such a great week-end.
Cheers,
Chriss
Hi Chris, I'm glad you got back OK. Say hi to horseface for me!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home