Saturday, March 27, 2010

Last hedges of the season!

It was the final meet today and after the problems of the last two weeks I needed a good one - and got one. The weather was good and there was even sunshine. There was a lot of jumping and several serious hedges. We flew the lot, including one where there was only one horse prepared to follow the field master - Radar! We had some great gallops across established turf and we finished on a real high. Radar was practically up in the sky - when I turned him into the barn when he got home, he just trotted up and down and up and down as if he simply could not stop moving. He has eaten his tea though, and I'm sure he'll calm down overnight.

Apart from possibly doing a fun ride this Friday, there are no plans to do anything with Radar for the summer now. I'm not going to exactly lay him off, but I'm not going to make any effort to ride him unless I really feel like it either. Campero needs more time spent on him as he recovers his ability to work. Jazz deserves a LOT more of my time, he has taken the back burner over the winter.

Unfortunately the forecast for next week is heavy snow, believe it or not! So it remains to be seen how my post-hunting horsework will go. Meanwhile, I can rest on my laurels and marvel over Radar's astonishing progress for a horse who has not yet been in serious work for a year. I hoped he might be this good after two seasons, not at the end of his first one. Tonight, I shall be happily dreaming of today's meet, which was marvellous fun and quite blew way my blues.

C

6 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

What a perfect way to end the season! And it's clear that Radar loves the hunt. Maybe you can just gallop him up and down hills all summer to take a break from the exacting work of dressage with Jazz.

I am feeling blue too but I bet for a different reason than you - job/future related. Thank goodness I have Tetley to cheer me up.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jean said...

What a grand way to end the season! Radar was clearly born to hunt and he's found the perfect life with you. But you will have to do some kind of jumping stuff with him over the summer or he is going to be blue.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Danni said...

Superb! You two are lucky to have found each other :) I'm sure he won't mind a reasonably relaxed summer, and that Jazz and Campo appreciate the lion's share of attention from you as summer approaches.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

ML I feel for you. I was stuck in Geneva with SH's work, and wanted to be home, so I know what it's like.

Jean I don't want him to showjump - I don't want him to realise that some fences fall. I might do a bit of cross country, but to be honest the fences on the cross country courses around here will be a bit small!!

I was so lucky to find him Danni!!


C

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Claire said...

and i wouldn't be surprised if you get some good offers for him as well ...worth his weight in gold to any hunstman/master (or maybe the hunt will just give you the job, LOL?)

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Well the hunt owner has just paid £12,000 for a horse who is no better Claire - I guess to the right person that's about what he's worth now. I'd want more than that to part with him right now :-)))



C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home