Monday, March 29, 2010

Change change change change

I've just done a twenty minute session in the barn with Jazz - yes, it's raining again! And very cold for the time of year. We walked for five minutes and then I asked for some flying changes. He got the figure of eight straight away, and with just a little more effort he got the change to counter canter and back to true canter in the space of less than 30 metres. Attaboy!!

It's great news on Campero today too. Two lengthy spells inside the barn on a softer surface have improved his sensitivity no end. He's not perfect, but he's not in pain and the slightly strained look that I was worried about has gone from his eyes. He left a whole pack of hay in the barn today too, so any eating issues have disappeared too. I walked him out booted up on all four feet and we went up to the main road, where he turned and ran for home yesterday. Today I had a bit on him and he didn't even test me. We watched a few very big vehicles go whizzing past the end of the road and he was completely fine with them. I may ride tomorrow, or I may walk him out again. Interestingly, folks on UKNHCP have told me that IR horses often go footsore around the equinoxes. Apparently, stress hormones rise and set off the IR. So his increased footiness might just be that.

For this week we are back to a winter regime, so Campo is on the yard at night and in the barn during the day. When we finally get spring back again and I can take the thick rugs off again, then I can change it around again and he will have longer with more space on a better surface.

C

3 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Claire said...

dreadful weather isn't it.....think i'll be keeping ours in tomorrow, field turning back into a mudbath!

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Nikki said...

I was enjoying not having to wear my wellies too. Payback time for a very dry March here I think.

Campero shows a lot of expression in his face doesn't he?, especially his eyes. It was always easy to see how he was feeling and what he was thinking by the look on his face. He does tend to bottle up his stress though - when you know him, you know it's there, but he doesn't go for the dramatic drama queen outbursts that Maya does!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Ghastly Claire and forecast for worse.

I saw it in his eyes Nikki. It was upsetting to know he was in pain, but unfortunately he has to go through this footsore period. He has the option to stand on a softer surface but he is choosing to stay in the open. He is a lot better today and we had a great fun hack in boots all round.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home