!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well you can't miss this! Even with no light in the barn and a dreadful photo - just look at the size of it! No, it's not his hock. I know it looks like it, but look at the other leg - nothing.
ML Tetley has some small lumpy bits in the same place on his right hock, and may have some on the left by now. Nothing to compare with this though.
Why am I not calling the vet? Because there is nothing he can do. Anti- inflammatories might take down the size of the lump, but that will happen in time anyway. And I am not concerned about a blemish on the inside of his leg. Anti-inflammatories would also lessen the inflammation. But it's the inflammation that brings about the fusion and the fusion that makes them sound. So the last thing we want is to stop that. Besides which, he isn't lame, and it would be a vet looking to run up a bill who suggests treatment is necessary for a non show horse who isn't lame. (ML the steroids Tetley has had, as far as I am aware, accelerate the cartilage stripping inside the joint that causes the fusion as well as taking away the pain for serveral months in most horses.)
This is a big worry and I am trying hard not to panic. The logical person inside says that if he hasn't been lame so far then there is no reason whatsoever why he should go lame now. Sonia says the same, and she's the one who has been watching us trot ten metre circles, so she should know.

16 Comments:
lord. well all you can do is work on how he's going, and if he's going sound, it's all to the good.
have a hug.
give him a polo (or whatever he likes)
take it easy (hard, i know...)
and above all DON'T PANIC i know it's hard not to...
Yikes! Fingers crossed for you!
N
Good luck - he seems to be telling you he feels OK, which is the main thing.
It is still quite possible it is the result of a knock. When Tucker clonked his head somewhere, he had a sizable lump on the side of his nose. It felt very hard--exactly like bone. He was sore on it for about a day. Over time, the swelling just went down on its own. I don't know whether it was a bone bruise or what, but when I did ask the vet, he said it would go down over time.
So, it does not nescessarily mean it is a consequnce of something going on inside the joint, but from an outside trauma. You could hose it down every day if you wanted.
And I agree. As long as he is sound, then just try to pretend you are not worried. *S*
Gulp, I share your concern, but would keep positive and continue with his training whilst he shows no sign of worry himself.
Are these things like splints, i.e. large initially, then settle down when cold and established?
Tracey B
How interesting. Now I can see exactly where they are. That is big but, again, if he's not lame now on it then it's unlikely that he will be. Fingers crossed!
I guess the only benefit of having xrays would be to clarify for you exactly what joints you are dealing with (if indeed it is a spavin). There's a difference between how you'd treat a spavin affecting the top joint of the hock compared with the bottom from vague memory?
Although I thought spavins always create a degree of lameness until they fuse?
There's a lot of conflicting info out there about spavins which is never helpful.
Have a hug, there's nothing sent to worry owners more than a random lump.
I'd want to know exactly what i'm dealing with but that's just my impatient nature.
It's gone down in size a lot this evening. He certainly kicked it on Saturday, but we don't know for sure if it was there to be kicked or he managed to create it all in one go.
Anon? I'm not letting a vet touch a horse that isn't unsound. I can see what it is, it's either a spavin (very low set) or he has given himself an almighty wallop at the site of a spavin. But as long as he is sound, no-one's coming near him - they can only make him worse!
Tiny matter of xrays setting me back at last £200 for no guaranteed result puts me off a bit too! Tetley's xrays showed nothing at all!
Tracey they smooth off in time. There are some things (technical term) that come along when it's not active any more and eat away the excess bone (oesophils???)
ML Jean Claire Nic Kate thanks for the good thoughts. I am TRYING hard not to panic but I couldn't ride today, I was too afraid he would be hopping lame so I made excuses and went out with a friend.
C
Blimy thats a fair old bump........ Hopefully that'll come down itself in a bit. Bit of arnica?
I totally agree regarding not x-raying, yes its nice to know, but I see far too many poor owners getting x-rays and diagnosis, but then nothing changes in regards to the treatment prescribed. Is it worth £200+ just for the pleasure of being told what it is? Nah!
Tracey B
ARSE. That's about all I can say on the matter really. Arse & fingers crossed. Know how you're feeling myself, currently being on tenderhooks awaiting analysis results on Tyler's SCC.
So yes, fingers crossed that all turns out ok for Jazz he dressage diva
xxx
Thanks for the thoughts peeps. I am just about to go and force myself to ride him. I'm petrified he'll be lame.
More later.
C
why not lunge? or longline? then you can see what's going on without your weight on.
and - Molly had a lump on the front of a front leg after a kick, i think - she wasn't lame on it and it is slowly subsiding to the point where it's now nearly gone, after a couple of months.
Just playing catch up!
Blimey thats a lump and a half.....everything crossed he's sound when you ride him.
Nicola
he was fine thanks Nicola, but it did make it bigger to ride him.
I'd rather ride and watch what I felt on video if I'm not happy with how he's going Claire. He lunges sound on a tight circle on hard ground, we tried that on Saturday when we first saw it.
C
If he ends up going lame, I cannot recommend Tildren enough for spavins
Post a Comment
<< Home