Monday, July 20, 2009

Three firsts, one bad two good.

Three firsts today! I have not had sheep on the field this year for a number of reasons. I was unhappy about the farmer not keeping his sheep off when I needed the grass in the autumn. I was concerned that sheep eat young ragwort and you never get to see the flowers to know if you have any on the land. And I thought it would be better for the horses if the field was allowed to rough off, with lower sugars.

Since we finally had some sun again today, when I got home from work I walked the field with a back-hoe to dig out the thistles that have begun to grow. I found three firsts:

First number one - bad - ragwort. One small plant with yellow flowers right in the middle of the field. Much less than might have been expected, given how it has spread to the hills with global warming, via the verge grass cutters courtesy of the Council :-(

First number two - nesting larks! Three lots of parents trying to lure me away from their babies. I didn't try to find the nests, it was just lovely to see the adult birds, we've never had them here on our field before.

First number three - harebells and cowslips and various other wild flowers that I can't name. The sheep normally eat them or they fertilize the ground too much for them to grow. Wild hill flowers need poor soil to grow. I love harebells, they are such beautiful delicate little blue bells. (Quite different from bluebells, which are lovely, but more like hyacinth, whereas harebells are more like tiny drooping tulips, or very fragile snowdrops.)

In addition, it was noticeable that we don't have any daisies this year and we hardly have any buttercup. The sheep don't eat buttercup and it is very clearly not there this year. Buttercup comes from a family which have high plant steroid levels which are implicated in laminitis. I can't help wondering if Scooby and Jazz's grass sensitivity were related to the buttercup at all. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

C.

6 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Claire said...

ah... i googled buttercups the other day as we have loads, and read that sheep DO eat buttercup....mmmm

but where are the pics of the birds and the harebells, which latter i don't recall ever seeing?!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger sarahh said...

Wow, what a lot of bonuses from not having the sheep on. Because of course even finding the ragwort is a good thing in that it enables you to deal with it.
The field sounds like a blissful place, it chilled me out no end to think of the larks and wildflowers.
I hope you now get te weather to enjoy it.
X

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

The sheep don't eat buttercup flowers Claire. At least our sheep don't :-)

Good pix here Claire, although we don't normally have quite so many flowers on one clump - http://www.arkive.org/harebell/campanula-rotundifolia/ (The hyphen is part of the address, not editing)

It was so peaceful to wander around digging up the occasional thistle Sarah, I felt quite privileged.

C

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Lovely about the larks. Isn't in amazing how small creatures like birds will "take on" something as big as a human in order to protect their young? Nature always fascinates me that way.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Mandeigh said...

Our Bilbo loves to eat the thistles.....and he does it very delicately! Phew its quite an art.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

The larks were trying to lure me away Jean - "over here, I'm over here!" - so that I wouldn't find their babies. Of course as far as they are concerned - it worked!

Eat thistles?!? Has he got a cast iron tongue?? Even Buttie doesn't eat thistles.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home