Hopeful ....
I am hopeful of a number of things today. The first is that the truly despicable weather of yesterday and this morning will continue to abate and let me get out and ride a horse this afternoon. I was busy with family stuff yesterday but there would have been no riding anyway, it was a completely foul day.
Hope number two is that Radar is almost sound, maybe completely sound. He was better yesterday thanthe day before and there seemed to be a whiff of something on the hoofpick on Thursday as I went down one side of his frog. The bottom of the collateral groove also crumbled away, leaving it deeper and more solid at the bottom than it has been in the past. There was a definite whiff today, I cleaned the pick off between the two sides and it was pretty obvious.
So he may simply have shed a piece of rotten foot that he doesn't need now his feet are coming up into such a great shape. When I bought him his heels were collapsed outwards and his bars were completely laid over, covering his heel area to the edge of the sole. (Tetley's were like this too when his shoes first came off). He now has proper bars with a little sharp ridge on the top.
What we do know about Radar now is that his legs have a propensity to fill at the slightest excuse. That's useful to know because it means that I won't panic about the back one that has a windgall or minor future filling. He may also be a bit of a wimp, because he was terribly lame if there wasn't even enough wrong to blow an identifiable hole in his frog. (I'd rather he was a wimp than a stoic. Stoic horses can get into all sorts of trouble before they let on - can't they Tetley?) On the other hand it may still be brewing .... watch this space.
C
ps I went trawling back in time - when Jazz had whiffy hoofpick syndrome sometime last year and a filled leg, it didn't blow as an abcess through the heel, it stopped at breaking out through the side of the frog - let's hope Radar's does the same.

3 Comments:
Foul weather ruins everything. The foul here was hot and humid. Apparently for you, rain. Either way, it surely does put a cramp into the riding.
Hope you are right about Radar. And yes, wimps are better than stoics in a lot of ways. It's always good when your horse is honest about having problems. My PJ was not. Tucker is. Something in between would be OK too.
Who me says Tetley? I am just a sensible creature, not a wimp. And I am absolutely gorgeous these days - everybody says so, so it must be true.
I hear that a house was struck by lightning here in Cambridge. It was a dramatic series of storms that rolled through here.
Radar was worse again tonight but he did have stuff packed up in his foot so it may have been that.
ML Tetley's head, and particularly his ears, are big enough already! He is now looking like he was when he left here. It took two years to right the damage that witch did him, it makes me so mad. Mind you - you have his bottom looking better than I ever did.
Stoic horses need observant owners, don't they Jean Otherwise you can just assume that they are being naughty, and punish them. A friend of mine was getting cross that her horse has been lazy for a couple of weeks and now it has shed part of its sole and obviously had an abcess all the time.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home