Thursday, October 30, 2008

More mix and match

More screwdriving. Now we have Jazz's seat with Jazz's longer flaps, set in the back position, on Zippy's panels, on Zippy. And Zippy's seat and Zippy's shorter flaps on Jazz's wider set panels, on Jazz. I think we're about there! The less comfortable seat is much more comfortable with the flaps set further back. The longer flaps are also better on Zippy, where they stick out less because his sides are flatter. The only thing that I might try is the bigger flaps on the smaller feeling seat. But for now, I've done enough screwdriving to last a week or two.

I only really rode to try the saddles, but it was also a lesson for each of them because I kept a trug half full of muck, and a cloth I rested the saddle on while I adjusted it, in the barn while I rode. Both of them used them as excuses to try and take a jolly good look, but both of them responded well to being told to concentrate.

On Zippy the technique is hold the contact firm and lift with the leg under the girth. He hasn't been allowed to learn that he has any option but to agree to do what I want, so he is still fairly easy, if resistant, to get to behave. Jazz of course is a different kettle of fish, who hasn't taken to being told what to do since before I ever got hold of him. The difference in him since the meds and Sonia gets more and more pronounced. I found it easy to get him to concentrate on me after a very short amount of time. I could tell he would have liked to be silly, which made it all the more pleasing (and exciting, actually!) that he agreed to submit to me and not do what he wanted. We really are getting somewhere now.

It's a foul day, bitterly cold and snowing. You would have thought after two years without a summer we were due a break, but no, winter is early. I'm going to sit in front of a fire fo the rest of the afternoon.

C

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Don't think I could handle all the saddle parts switching, but at least you know what you are doing with it. Seems you are almost there to creating good saddles for each boy, though.

Guess the tub with the towel had a less scary lurking monster than the rocks, eh? Good for you to find a way to convince each fellow you were in charge.

Zipster is easier and if you keep riding him as well as you are, he will stay relatively easy.

Interesting about Jazz. If, indeed the ulcer medication is in play, this is great news. It still won't change his self-importance, but it should lessen some of his over-reactive responses and let his brain take over--uhm...if that's what you want. *G* (Not sure the brain thing is ideal with a horse so clever at evasions...but....)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I'm not sure he has too much of a brain Jean :-)

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home