Saturday, October 25, 2008

Back in balance.

Jolly good news from George this morning. They went up to see him and as they approached his stable he called to them. That’s fantastic, because it means that he definitely recognises them and knows that they are “his people”. He was quiet and happy, apparently, and as I write this the family is in Robinsons buying him loads of stuff! M will be riding late this afternoon and I’ll get another update after that. Tomorrow I’m going over to continue the canter lessons, meanwhile she will only walk and trot today.

As for me (I know you’re only interested in George, but I’ll tell you anyway :- ) I had a great morning. I blush to confess how many handfuls of grease came out of Jazz’s backside, but it was pretty obvious how little attention he’s had recently! Neither of them seem concerned in the slightest that George is gone, the miserable curs! As long as the lion got him and not them, they aren’t worried at all.

Jazz hasn’t been ridden for nearly two weeks, and it showed with some resistance on the left rein, his usual worse one. But on the whole, he was responsive, submissive and a pretty good egg.

Zippy hasn’t been ridden since we went to Sonia on Monday. I tried him in walk with the aids she was getting me to ride in trot – a strong contact with a wrap-around leg, with the feeling of picking him up under the girth with my feet. The idea is to make him pull forwards into the contact. He gave me some totally awesome walk, nothing he has ever done before. Nothing I’ve ever felt any horse do before, completely uphill and out in front of me. And a slightly strange feeling of him pulling your hands forward without any sense that he is trying to evade the conatct or to walk any faster. Difficult to describe, sorry, but so exciting, and still in walk!!

If there is one HUGE thing Sonia has done for me so far, it is to finally get it into my thick head what a proper contact should be. It’s a major piece of learning that I needed, and I already feel like I’ve made big progress towards becoming a better rider.

I’ll update with a comment this evening when I’ve heard how they got on riding George. Meanwhile I’m a happy bunny today, I have life back in balance for everyone.

C

5 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jean said...

OK, maybe it will help of you think of Zip "pushing" forward in the trot. The feeling is that your hand is being pulled forward, but it is because his back is engaged and the hind legs/body are making contact with the bit, and stepping through to the bit.

I'm nver quite sure what the correct contact should be, (how much "weight" you have in your hand) but it does vary from horse to horse. The key, however, is feeling that push into the rein caused by the activated hind end. When it's right, there is an elastic feel as if the horse is a big strong rubber band. If you don't have a "feel" in your hand, then you really can't effectively shorten or lengthen that band.

You see a lot of horses in false carriage who take very little contact to the hand. It shows when they really do not stretch to the bit when the reins are lengthened. You should be able to push your horse's nose out if you want to.

That's my two sense and something I continue to strive for. Harder to get with a less talented/balanced horse, of course, so for me it's always a work in progress. Once you get it with Zip and really begin to feel it, you will love it and not want to ride him any other way. For him, it will be a breeze. (Then he can call Tucker on the overseas line and fill him in...*G*)

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Great! That's my two "Sense???" I meant, cents...meaning a cheap opinion since it's only worth two pennies. Is it a British expression as well???

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, we say "two penn'orth" (two pennyworth). My sister in law has always been called Tuppy for that reason - she always put in her two pennyworth when she was little and it stuck all her life.

Good news on George tonight. He has a huge fan club at the stables already and they are thinking of selling tickets for the gallery :-)

He behaved brilliantly all day and when he was ridden. He stands still for M to get on, and when he halts, which he didn't for me!

And he gave DAD a cuddle when he went to see him last night, when usually he is totally mistrustful of men, never mind men he's never met before.

A great start, let's hope it continues that way.

C

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Thats brilliant news good on George!

The contact issue has always been something ive struggled with my trip to Rachel's really helped me get to grips with it.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Muriel said...

Contact is so tricky as it is a "feel" it is different from each horse ...
But for learning it is also best with horses who have not been "damaged" in their mouth. Therefore they would have learnt defenses, tensing the jaws, or going BTV etc... It is very difficult. I do no think that putting a pelham in a horse mouth helps to get it right ... hope you get my drift there ...

Good news for George, I keep my fingers crossed, it keeps going ^-^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home