Friday, July 25, 2008

Looking for another

What a bad mood George was in today! I think he woke up with a headache. He was fine to tack up, including not blowing out his belly as is usual with him. But when I went to mount he turned away twice and pulled away from me when I got down off the block. I wasn't about to try and hold him with a broken arm, so away he went and loose schooled at a fabulous extended trot around the arena. Impressive George, but not what I wanted.

He was touchy to ride, refusing to go forward and I had to fetch some spurs to convince him to go out to my hand on the end of the rein. We got there in the end but it wasn't much fun. The resulting walk was lovey, but goodness me it had taken some effort to get there!

I trimmed Jazz's front feet and took a mountain of shavings off each foot. They look beautiful now, with the whole foot regrown since his operation last year. He has fantastic horn thickness all round the foot of at least 8mm, and they are about half an inch smaller across the bottom than they were. Real workmanlike feet!

We went off then to see a horse that a friend was interested in buying. WHOAH, was it overpriced or what! The dealer is off his rocker if he thinks he can sell imported Irish horses of no particular breeding, no performance record, and not particularly stunning looking for 9,10 and 12 thousand pounds. The one we went to see was a 15h going on 14.2 Connemara cross pony of 5 with no competitive experience at all and he wanted £5,500 for it! If it had been big enough the answer was still a big fat NO.

I'm off now to scour Horsemart. Nothing more fun than buying a horse with someone elses money :-)))

C

3 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Well, at least you got to see George trot. I've had that happen a few time on the lunge or long lines. Great to watch them go, but not with the lines trailing along under their feet. Hope George's reins were secure.

Horse prices are crazy here too. We've gone to see some with price tags no way matching the quality of the horse. Trouble is, people are paying that kind of money.

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well misses with your track record for buying horses, you mate must get a bargain...hope you are on a commission!

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well yes, the trot was spectacular :-) and the reins are still in one piece!

Ah but you don't take risks with a horse for a 10 year old Mandeigh!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home