Billy the kid.
I haven't done anything at home horse wise today. My family are tough going at the moment and I'm not sleeping well.
I did go and watch two lessons that Billy Twomey (showjumper) gave as a prize for Spinal Research. I do their marketing stuff for them as a volunteer and went as their representative (hand-shaker) with Your Horse Magazine. It wasn't terribly insightful and I actually disagreed with his advice to both riders to let the horse go out through the shoulder on a circle. I think I'll stick with SH, he does a great job with getting me to the height I need to get to.
You should have SEEEEEEN the place though! Undercover horse walker, immaculate grounds with a fountain and a complete mock-up of Hickstead, including the bank! His patron is the owner of Bolton Wanderers and had it all built for him. Lucky boy, eh?
C

5 Comments:
Yep bneautifull setting, but fi teh teaching/riding is crap, it is not worth it, is it?
I prefer rustic with honest ground with good tuition, than flashy and empty ... too superficial.
You are better off with SH ^-^
I hope your family worries will get better soon.
I don't think his teaching was bad Muriel, just that he'd probably have charged around £50 an hour and he did and said nothing I can't get with SH for free. I did disagree with him about allowing the horse to go through the shoulder, but in the context of the moment the horse did go better.
C
Must be nice having all those facilities.. says her who's OH and friend are having to do the fencing cos we cant get Yo's to do the basics.
I agree you dont have to be the best rider in the world.or even ride as long as you have a good eye. M said ive helped her loads as i spot her problems pity im not so great at sorting myself out!
Hope the family situation resolves soon. I know how hard the waiting must be for all of you.
Sometimes jumper trainers forget about the correct flat schooling in order to "get the jumps." It's not my style. I always found the jumps went better if the flatwork/approach were all correct.
Gorgeous places do not always produce the best. If the lessons were "prize winners" perhaps the trainer was just focusing on the jumping part to please the winners. Can you imagine how they'd feel if they'd had to spend the entire lesson on flatwork trying to get their horses correct first before jumping?
Yes, it must be difficult Jean, to give only one lesson to someone you know you'll never teach again. Not something I'd want to take on and it was very good of him to give his time for free for Spinal Research.
I agree Nicola, the best riders are quite often not the best trainers because it's all too easy for them, and they can't put themselves in their pupil's boots.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home