Not a chance ......
... of it being longer than the end of this week before I ride. Don't ask me how this has happened - I'm sure I don't know why I can lift 15 kg bags of feed when other people would still be struggling to even move their arm. I'm just grateful! I have proved to Superhubby that I can drive safely (we have automatic cars), and also that I can pull back on his arm with sufficient strength to stop a horse. So I'll be riding George on Thursday. I'm looking forward to teaching him what he needs to know for Rodbaston in early May.
With this injury turning out to be so insignificant, and George being so easy and such fun, I am more inclined to give Jazz another while to grow up. He is really enjoying his jumping now, and was jumping really well last time until that fence. I had a snaffle on him because I had brought the wrong bridle. I borrowed a pelham from an event rider based there and took it out with us in case we needed it. But up until then he had been fine in a snaffle. When push came to shove though, and he was confused and upset about stepping into the ditch, I did not have the right tool to stop him going though the fence.
Unfortunately, we had to teach him to showjump by making him go through the plane of the fence even if he had to knock it down. We paid for that on the cross country, where he tried to do that (to please me!!!) and it didn't fall, but we did. I'll be going back to square one, of course, and starting him on the farm ride at 18 inches, just to get the fun back for him and for me. He's still only 6, time will tell with him.
For now though, full steam ahead with George's schooling. I have a combined training competition lined up locally in April which will be great training. I'm taking him to my saddle fitter's next week and she is going to jump him for me (she's a semi-pro event rider). I have to teach him to canter within the confines of a 20 metre arena and see what he does with a cross country course. All such a lot to look forward to.
The only slight cloud on the horizon is that he has had a warm foot for a couple of days and this morning he was pointing it. He is not at all unsound, but something is going on. He has a nick on the side of the pastern which suggests he may have done something, but as yet we don't know what. Hopefully we never will. Of course there is always the possibility that we bought him full of bute and it has now worn off. I think that's highly unlikely, given the people I bought him off.
Must go - I'm off to swing some bags of horse food around. (Only joking!)
C

10 Comments:
I can only guess your overall level of fitness and muscle strength helped this injury. Because the muscles were still being exercised, they never lost much tone and helped hold the injury in place so it became more stable. "Dr.Jean" here further speculates that because the broken bones were such thin ones instead of something thick like an arm or leg, that initial healing started pretty quickly to also help stabilize them. How's that, eh?
Glad to hear you are so far on the mend. Love the plan for George and I do hope he is not going to have any long term problem with that foot. He needs some quality riding and schooling before that competition.
Little jumps for Jazz sounds like a good idea. As for the pelham, in hindsight, it may have helped, but then again, it may not. As you said, that fence just wasn't going to give like a stadium fence. Maybe you could have stopped the accident, and maybe not. Either way, use the pelham from now on as an insurance policy and just try to enjoy riding him.
I think Dr Jean is absolutely correct. I also have very thin bones - I wear childrens watches and can circle my wrist with my fingers with nearly an inch overlap, so maybe they heal quicker? Plus I have very strong shoulders muscles of course, being a rider and horse owner (all that poo shifting!) in the first place :-)
Off out to rescue them from a massive storm now.
C
Zippy has just shed another cheek tooth cap. According to my book, he is more than a year behind where he ought to be, because he should have shed the last ones at two and a half :-o
Goodness me what a runt of the litter he was. I am more glad than ever that I have not pushed him on this winter, and that he has George to take the strain off him this summer. Don't expect much excitement in the Zippy training log in 2008 !
On the other handhow fantastic is he going to become?????????????????
C
You always did suspect that Zip's stated age and his real age might be different. Could it be true or is he just a late toothsome fellow? *G*
and I thought you were going to say...i'm lifting bags that I couldn't manage before!
Batten down the hatches tonight misses, that weather front on the TV look right over the top of you!
quick healing indeed. I would say it's the Marmite, but that isn't helping me and my broken foot.
Jean it was the guy who broke him who thougth Zippy was younger. His passport in definitely not a forgery, so he is just a runt due to his early weaning, probably why the stud sold him so young. More fool them! I've got a superb horse and all I need to do is wait a bit for him to mature.
Mandeigh there is one heck ofa storm blowing outside. Sure to be some slates off the roof tomorrow if nothing more.
Mmmm Marmite - I might just go and have a crust with some on.
C.
"quick healing indeed. I would say it's the Marmite"
My money is going on the red wine - think you have a better class of it up there than we have ;-)
Glad things are improving so amazingly quickly, and rock on Georgie-boy :-)
Perhaps you were a jockey in a previous life, when a mere broken bone doesn't seem to stop them for long!
Hurrah for George, there is something to look forward to.
As for Jazz, he is, as you say, still very young and inexperienced. Don't give up on him. You know he has the scope and the power.
It is amazing that you are recovering so well. More good wishes, they are obviously working.
Judith
I haven't had any marmite in days :-)
Judith I know you have a late maturing warmblood too, so your encouragement to continue is welcome.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home