Back on target
It's perfectly clear that I am going to be riding seriously again before the end of March, not just "back on board". I need a month to train George sensibly, so I'm already planning to event in late April and certainly not later than mid May. Funnily enough, the more it's obvious that I'll be riding properly in a week or so, the less incentive there is to ride at all before then. I'm busy Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday in the next week, so I might as well start on Monday 17th, mightn't I? After my visit to the fracture clinic :-)))
I did a mock foot pick-out with all three of them this morning. They were ace. I got 2 feet clean, and knocked the surface dust off the other 10. A good start. I took all their rugs off and gave each of them a brush before I put them back on. No more louse-bites, so that's good. I'll dust them again in a week or so to catch any eggs that survived and hatched.
They all took their wormer yesterday in their feed like good boys. George was terribly suspicious (it smells quite a bit, the sheep version, nicely perfumed). He ate it all up though. He chose to go into the barn with the other two last night even though he had a warm stable full of haylage. They seem to be allowing him to get closer to them now without chasing him away, so maybe they are going to stop beating him up.
I have to be honest about George - he's getting porkie :-) !!!! I have already cut his food right down (1kg nuts, oil, a bit of beet pulp + haylage). The oil and nuts are going to have to go! The beet needs to stay to soak up the gritty minerals that I feed them. I'll think about putting him on the lunge just to give him some work if the weather is good enough.
What ho. Sun's shining. Things could be a lot worse!
C

8 Comments:
Windy enough here to knock down a good sized pine tree to block part of my driveway. Doesn't look good for riding at all. And, I'll be financially pressed to pay to have the tree removed, so I am unhappy as well.
However, the news at your end is good. I guess if it doesn't hurt you aren't doing too much with it???
Again, George's presence was a stroke of amazing luck or prescience on your part. Could fate have actually intervened for the good? I'm not surprised he's porking out. I'd wager he hasn't been as well fed in all his life--and that's just with the quality of the food, not the quantity.
Perhaps the other boys are developing some social graces and learning to accept the new "kid" with a much better attitude? Hope so.
Oh blast Jean, it's OK paying for vital maintenance, isn't it, but when something so pointless takes up your hard earned dosh it's not really fair. Bad luck!
I think I knew I needed a George. He's not a horse I would even normally have gone to see, but something strong was telling me to get a good solid cob! And he's turned out so utterly lovely and easy. Meant to be!
C
The surgeon told me to use it Jean, so that it doesn't freeze. I told him that I was good at doing what I was told even if it hurt, and to tell me what he wanted me to do.
I take it to the boundary of free movement and each day that goes a bit further. It lets me know in no uncertain terms where the limit is, but other than that it is virtually pain free. My arm muscles ache from holding my shoulder in place, but nothing to write home about.
C
oh dear jean....
and yes, you needed a george, caroline...
My usual tree guy came by and offered to do the job for $495. Then, about 10 minutes later, another tree guy came by and offered to do it for $300 and he would start right away.
Well, that was awkward as I'd already told the first guy to do the job. Still $200 is $200, so I let the second guy start.
Had to call tree man #1 and apologize as I really do feel bad about it, but money is tight the difference is pretty important to me.
Anyhow, the tree is now cut up and tomorrow they are supposed to come by to chip it and grind the stump.
HA HA Jean, up here we would have been fighting folk off with chainsaws to get the wood!!!
Glad to here the shoulder is improving...mind you nolt a bad time to be not riding if your weather is anything like ours.....its like living in a wind tunnel!
Yup, we would have been paid for it if it had been ours too. Logs are fetching a heck of a price since coal and oil went through the roof!
As you say Mandeigh, not a bad time to be off riding at all :-)
Claire I certainly need a George now anyway :-) !
C
.
Post a Comment
<< Home