George will be getting a run!
George will be getting a run earlier than expected. And that's the end of the good news! The bad bit is that I have fallen off Jazz and broken my shoulder blade :-((( He stuck both front feet into the ditch in front of a pallisade that he has jumped a dozen times before, then tried to jump it and did a rotation fall that shot me into the dirt on the far side.
The good bits are -
- I could easily have a much more severe injury, onlookers said that he did his damnedest not to tread on me.
- I could be in plaster and I'm not. I have been told by the orthopedic surgeon to keep it mobile. I think that I should be event fit by June.
- The staff at Macc A&E were wonderful. They wheeled me on my trolley to see the xray, which they said showed a most unusual break. They were oohing andahing around it :-)
- It doesn't hurt much if I keep fairly still, though that may be courtesy of not one but two whacks of morphine.
- I would be lost without a Superhubby, he's sorting them out as I write
I am so glad that I have George to start on when I am fit, because neither Jazz nor I will have enough confidence for him to be jumping anywhere for a while. I am fine, don't worry about me. I'm having to type one handed, so I hope fellow bloggers will excuse me if I don't type comments on their blogs for a while :-)
C

20 Comments:
Oh my, I am so sorry that you have broken your shoulder blade! Yes, it's good that you are not in plaster, that you entertained the A&E staff, that it's not worse etc but it's still a break and will take a while to heal. I hope it is not too painful when the morphine wears off. Sleeping will be a challenge for a while too. Take it easy and don't do too much!!! If I know you at all you will be chafing at the bit to get out and do too much too soon.
Sweet that Jazz really did his best to avoid stepping on you.
I am thinking of you and hope for a speedy recovery!!!!!!
ML
Oh no, what bad luck.
Hospital staff like something unusual, they get bored with the routine stuff!
Just got to give it time now.
Best wishes.
Judith
ooh - did one of those once, major ouch (except i was told mine wasn't broken - funny that, you can still see the lump where it knitted back together!).
Jazz will probably need to go back to a few basics? i know when i fell off molly, been the first person to fall off her, she had a major loss of confidence after that
lots of hugs and hope you knit quickly!
Yowch!Just when stuff was going good! How long till you are back on track again?
Oh dear!! I crashed once like that when Russell went into a ditch instead of over. Trouble was, I was OK and he was the one who hurt his shoulder. I feel so badly for you since I know how much you were looking forward to the season.
Poor Jazz. Knowing his personality, I'd wager he is quite upset by what happened. You will need to reassure him that it was really only an accident. What a grand boy to be so careful not to hurt you! I shiver thinking of what might have happened.
My orthopedic surgeon seemed fascinated by rider injuries as he considers riding one of the most dangerous sports around. Glad your doctors found the same fascination. It will likely make them much more interested in your progress and recovery.
Sending good vibes to you, Jazz, George, the Zipster and especially SH who now gets to be a real knight in shining armor.
Anyone around who might want to give Jazz a school over some easy fences for you? I am worried that his new found confidence might need a boost. It wouldn't have to be anything large or tricky, but just something to make him feel OK about jumping with a rider.
I will not send a cyberhug as I suspect it would hurt too much. So sending love instead. Take care of yourself!!!!!
Oohhh. Just thinking as well when I re-read your post. I had a bad fall with Russell once and lost my confidence. My wonderful trainer worked with me to recover it. Maybe while you are laid up you can research to see if there is someone good around who could coach you through your recovery.
I know Allen is super, but someone who has "been there" and "done that" might be able to ease you back with Jazz and help ease him back too. George will be a big help, but Jazz is another issue for you. You will have plenty of time to look around for someone and it will keep you busy and BEHAVING!!!
Bloody hell Caroline!!!
More than anything it must be very disappointing for you - you and Jazz were on such a roll!
Please take it easy - you'll only regret it later if you don't.
And echo the person who said is there anyone who could pop a fence or two on Jazz for you in the next week or so? It would be such a huge shame for him to regress after you'd both been going so well.
What about the guy who broke in Zipster for you?
Cassie
Ahhhh no!:0
That will REALLY hurt when the morphine wears off! I did my shoulder in when I was 18.Ripped all the muscles and ligaments and was in hospital for couple days, literally couldnt move it was that painfull and carried my arm around for weeks after.
If its worse tomorrow and you feel there's tissue damage try and get some sort of physio I had nothing and still get problems with it now.
Typical when things were going so well too..hope it doesnt dent either of your confidence too much.
Take care and fingers crossed your not in too much pain.
Oh two shots of morphine!!! That pretty heavy duty medecine.
Are you not too high?
I had 4 shots when I had my son. I loved it, I did not care about anything, I was so ever relaxed.
I also craved for it for days, which was not cool.
I hope you get better soon
<<< healing vibes >>> from Italy!
What is it that the ground gets harder as you get older????
How long will you be out of action?
I have not posted on this blog before But I am entertained by your stories.Take good care of yourself and I hope you are back in the saddle soon
XX
What wonderful support chaps, thank you all so much. I'm unbelievably good this morning. I can feel that it's already knitting, and I managed a good night's sleep too. I never expected that!. I've mucked out one handed but I have just this moment realised that I can still touch type if I slant the keyboard and rest my whole arm on the desk.
Muriel I am not in much pain so I am only taking the anti-inflammatories that I was given and not the opiates. Like you, I am very sensitive to morphine and it is addictive stuff!
I am reasonably confident that we will be able to enter George for some events in June. Fingers crossed. Jazz, we have to mull over for a while. We have to admit that when the objective was to spend as much as we needed to buy a horse who would event LAST year, never mind this, that we chose the wrong horse.
There have to be severe doubts now about whether he will ever be a cross country horse. We have cracked the technique but there's not much we can do if he simply isn't brave enough. He's jumped that fence at least four times before, but yesterday he got a bee in his bonnet about ditches, and my broken scapula is the result. Thanks Jazz.
I could get someone else to ride him. It might restore his confidence in himself, but it won't restore mine in him, and he is immensely senstive to my feelings going into a fence. I could get the man who backed Zip, but I can tell you that he'll beat him into it and I'm unconvinced that will help.
It's a good opportunity while I'm out of action to review what his future should be. Perhaps needless to say, that right now sitting here with my arm in a sling courtesy of his total lack of courage, I am uncertain whether it will be with me.
I'm off to the dentist now, as if I needed more hospital type stuff!
C
ps dear George brought us in some lice so I smell beautifully of menthol louse powder.
I'm sorry to hear this Caroline, but if I know you at all, I know you'll be back in the saddle wey before any normal human would be (well apart from jockeys maybe).
Take it easy for a few days, that's quite a knock for your bones :o(
Have you named George yet? Bless him.
Tracey B
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go for Jetset George. It's a name that isn't already used. It has Jet to reflect his blackness, Jetset to reflect his forward going nature, and George for the "trustworthy old fella with a leg at each corner" bit. It's also got the alliteration that I like in a name and it will sound good on the PA :-)
I can't imagine waiting much longer than my fracture clinic appointment on the 17th before I get back in the saddle, even if it's only on George and only indoors :-) I'm sure he'll be easy enough to ride one handed. If I tie the reins together short, we should be perfectly safe ....
I tried to get some comfrey (knitbone) today but could only find massage oil. Anyone know where I can get the herb to take orally???
C
i would reckon Jazz for a dressage horse for someone, then. He does need courage and there's clearly an issue there.
Comfrey - I've got piles of the stuff, but unfortunately it's all growing. could send you a bottle of comfrey tea? :-) would be fairly euch! the people we bought this house off used to make all sorts of liniments and stuff with the comfrey. we just compost it, it's very good for that! and very pretty when in flower
Have you tried online for the Comfrey?
I wasn't sure whether reviewing Jazz's future while you've just broken your shoulder courtesy of him is a good thing or bad thing but i've decided it's probably a good thing - it certainly focus' your thinking. A good event horse has to be brave - you can nurse them around to a certain extent but they have to want to take it on and with all your eventing experience i'm sure in your heart of hearts you know that.
Could you get into pure dressage or is that not an area that holds any appeal?
Whatever you decide with Jazz will be the right decision because you don't strike me as the sort of person to make decisions without a lot of thought.
Hope the shoulder stays uncomfortable and a pain rather than painful!
Cassie
Mucking out with one hand, typing with both! Something told me that you would not be content to lie around and heal! How fantastic that you feel this well! Tetley sends his best wishes, well he would if he could only type too. Those keys are just too darn small for his big feet.
Certainly I am no expert on horses but eventing seems to require a bold, adventurous horse. Despite all the time and effort you have put into showing Jazz that he can really do it, he just doesn't believe it. Yes, he has come a long way but not far enough it seems.
I hope tonight's sleep is as easy as last night's.
ML
I have no experience of trying to convince a cowardly horse that cross country is safe. Is there anyone who has ever seen one like this who subsequently turned out good? I don't mind spending more time on him, but he is beginning to feel as if he just cannot respond to it, in spite of his wish to do it for me.
That's what got us into this mess - he didn't want to jump but he knew I wanted him to, and in hesitating between the two he put himself into the ditch and then thought he should try and jump the pallisade anyway.
He's not eating up, and neither is George. Both of them are upset that I am not looking after them. I went out tonight and SH did them for me. I'll have to give George some decent attention tomorrow. He is afraid of men, so he won't go near SH the poor poppet.
Dressage certainly doesn't hold much excitement for me, I'm not sure if it's better that than nothing, or just give up competing and go hunting. I'm looking forward to riding George and we'll see if I still have the hunger to event by riding him in a few.
Thanks again for all the support everyone. I'm off to see if I can get as good a night's sleep as last night.
C
Caroline. I LOVED eventing until I crashed. I, fortunately, didn't get hurt, but it surely did put things into perspective. The problem is that in an event, you are constantly being faced with questions and can never quite prepare for what the fences might be. When you meet a question you and the horse can't answer instantly and correctly, then it's not fun anymore.
Dressage, for me was the ultimate answer. It is such a mental game, it keeps me totally occupied. Every now and then, I do miss the jumping, and if I had a George in my back pocket, I'd more then likely be bounding over some fences now and again, but they'd be fences I'd chosen because I had all the answers as to how to handle them.
Sounds as if you are thinking it through, so good for you. In the end you will decide whatever is best and suits you.
By the by, if Jazz crashed along with you, he might have some physical issues too. Could be he is sore--muscles, chiropractically, etc. He would not have to be lame to be uncomfortable. Could account for some of his not eating--the stuff not emotionally attached to you, of course. *S*
I've got some comfrey you can have, I'd take it as a tea and apply it as a poultice, yes I know you are not a horse but the old remedies work for humans as well!! Let me know if you want some and I'll bag it up. Tracey/Cloud_Cirrus
Please Tracey, can you send me a bit to Ankers Knowl, Macclesfield Forest Cheshire SK11 0AR. It can't hurt, and it was called knitbone for good reason in the past. That's very kind of you - let me know what I'll owe you.
I think that Jazz will get a rest for at least another week Jean, and then only slowly do any real work while we wait for me to be strong enough to manage him. He is looking bouncing fit in the field, so I think that he's OK
C
Post a Comment
<< Home