Sunday, March 23, 2008

More tension than a Hitchcock film.

Goodness me George is going through an interesting spell. Casper did it too, so I am not worried, I know that it will stop in time. On the other hand, we knew why Casper did it - he was anticipating hating being ridden so much that he bucked his rider(s) off. George, as far as we know, has no such experiences, but he is currently starting each session full of tension. He walks off extremely short striding and far too fast. He gets worse if you try to slow him down, skewing his back end out sideways and/or refusing to walk on. He runs if you try and work him forwards. If you turn him, he panics and kicks his own legs. He starts to heavy breathe and is soon sweating even though he is still only in walk. He does this for about half an hour, then suddenly reaches forward into the bit and produces a long swinging walk with a completely flexible neck, that would do grace to a warmblood. I praise him extravagantly when he does it, we have a little trot and then we stop so he can finish on a good note.

I think that one answer with him would be to lunge him first. But that is really not much of an option in the confines of the barn - which is simply not big enough to get the free forward movement that would unlock him. And this morning there were drifts of snow up to a foot deep and it was minus 2, so outdoors was not an attractive proposition either!

I didn't ride the other two, I wanted to give my shoulder a relatively easy time today. I'm just about able to tack up normally now, though not without some discomfort when threading the ears through the headpiece. I can take a fair pull on the reins with it with no problems, and it is very mobile now, so I think that we can probably take George jump training on Thursday if I can book somewhere. I plan to do the farm ride with a friend with Jazz on April 5th if the weather holds. It will give me a good chance to find out how far we have been set back with our confidence.

C.

9 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Wonder what George is worrying about? Poor boy. Keep the ulcers in mind--with all that nervousness. Does he have something in his tummy before you ride him? Might help, if not.

Would a few minutes of low key in hand work--getting him to give to the bit or turn, or perhaps some carrot stretches--help before you get on? Anything that might break the "anxiety circle" he's started here.

If you can come up with something different in the routine, it might trigger some relaxation instead of anticipation.

Snowdrifts??? Eeek. Sunny here, mid 40'sF. Have to admit, it does look like Spring. How long it will last is anybody's guess.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

You know C, How obsessed I am with cavaletti ^-^
But maybe you ought to try to work George for 10 minutes at the walk over 3 or 5 poles on the ground. No need to lunge him just walk him in hand.
You can adjust the space between the poles. But it is easy a great exercise to loosen up.
I loose-school Linda on this type of cavaletti, walk and trot.

Worse a try.

International weather forecast : It is snowing here too ....

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

Happy Easter ^-^
May you have many chocolate eggs !
I did not get any, so I amde myself a chocolate mousse ...hmmm it is already finished ...

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

He is fed first Jean, contrary to British habit I have always fed then ridden after about 20 minutes and he has a belly full of haylage from overnight too. Good thought though.

I think it may be his mouth he is worrying about - he really has an exceptionally soft mouth. I can't avoid using the bit - he has to learn to get used to it because when I sell him he may be ridden by people with a lot less feel than me. He's been done recently by a fuly trianed dentist too, so there should be no issue with his teeth. I might try a change of bit, we currently have a single joint thick snaffle. Maybe it's too thick for his mouth.

Muriel some ground work would be a good idea.

No eggs, I ate too much chocolate on my birthday! Happy Easter!!

C>

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could it just be anticipation of working, maybe he's a bit keen to get on with the job?

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter.
Pleased to hear the shoulder is getting stronger each day.

Could you take George for a short hack before you school? might set his mind at rest and get him swinging through a little first? maybe last 5 mins of hack pick him up as you would in the school and then take him in the school?

Have you looked at Neue Schule bits? I find them fantastic for horses that back off the contact - they've got a lot of good ideas about metals used, thickness of mouthpiece, curved mouthpieces etc. Try one with a lozenge?

Cassie

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I wouldn't say it's keenness Mandeigh, it feels like worry to me - especially with the huffing and puffing he does.

A short hack is a good idea Cassie but this morning it was minus two with a strong wind - brrrrrrrr!

I'm going to try a straight bar tomorrow. I've had a lot of horses go happier in one of those, including Tetley.

C.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

AHHH just typed a reply and it vanished!

Cant remember what I said now...other than ive changed AliG into Polo's mullen mouth myler and he seems to like it.Was setting his jaw a bit in the french link.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I hate it when that happens! I never have any idea what I did. I had a good reaction to a change of bit today. Just about to post it.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home