Monday, February 11, 2008

When does it end!!!!!!

Jazz has come in lame again! the other front foot this time. Not putting his heel to the floor. Stinky frog in exactly the same place as last time. Flipping heck haven't I had enough this year already!!!

I am actually hopeful that it is pus in the foot because he has heat right where a check ligament strain would be too. Fingers crossed!! The boys were messing around a lot while I was at work today apparently, and a silp and a check ligament strain are not impossible. But he is very lame, with marked reluctance to put the heel down, and that wouldn't be normal for that injury.

While they were messing about SH said he saw Zippy trying to mount Jazz. Now that would explain a lot - big neck on a gelding, deep throaty voice, increasingly buzzy behaviour as he matures and the spring arrives ......... I don't mind if he's riggy, I've had my suspicions about it before. As long as I can manage him and his behaviour is not too extreme, he'll be fine.

More news on the invalid tomorrow!

C

9 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Rats!! I can only imagine how annoying, frustrating, and worrying Jazz's lameness must be.

Do some horses just have physiologies or systems more prone to abscesses? If so, I wonder if there is some kind of supplement that would discourage them.

Fortunately I don't think Tucker is riggy, but some of his behavior is a bit "stallionish" too. With him it's his wannabe dominant personality more than well controlled by AlphaToby. From the sound of it, Zip is certainly more "manly." Just be careful in case it starts to extend to you and your handling of him.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I can remember when I bought Zip Jean that one of the first things I posted about him was how dominant he was. I've spent a year educating that out of him and insisting on his respect and I won't be stopping doing that any time soon :-)

Jazz clearly now has a bruise or another abcess in the foot. My money is on a bruise. This lameness came on extremely fast, sound at 2pm, dead lame at 7pm - too fast for it to be an abcess. He was, however, seen gambolling around on stony areas of the field today ....... two and two usually make four ?

C
C

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Claire said...

they do indeed make 4 - so he should be fine soon, do hope so!

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Don't say Four! One sore foot is enough.

Frolicking on the rocks certainly could do it. Silly boy.

Sending him a cyberhug and a get better soon.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flipping heck that's maddening!...he'l do anything to get out of work eh?!?

Polo's very riggy does the whole 'business', very territorial of mares when a new horse comes on the scene. The biggest issues ive had with it are when going to a new yard he's decidedly unpopular cos of it but you havent got that to worry about .
Also when getting him out and about he tends to over react,show off and basically lose it(although how much of this is due to the riggyness or just him is debateable?)he's even worse if one of 'his' mares is there and he's worrying other horses are next to 'her'.
So basically dont get any mare's and you'll be fine:)))

Nicola

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No mares is fine by me Nicola :-) I get on better with geldings on the whole.

I think it's his foot but he was very very lame this morning. More later after I've got him back in.

C

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Claire said...

what? blank comment caroline is worrying!!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just logging in Claire, quicker to put a . comment than do it the other way.

Check today's post, just done it.

C :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home