Friday, February 08, 2008

All better :-)

Jazz seems to be fully recovered. His muscles felt really good this morning so we had a gentle schooling session. He was as loose and flowing as I have ever known him. We just did the basics, but he seemed very happy.

Zippy, on the other hand, is getting more of a attitude the bigger he gets. He wants to start every session by jogging for ten minutes. After that he does some nice walk for ten minutes with fantastic bend and swing. Then he decides he's done enough and sets himself so he doesn't have to use his back end - the real giveaway is that if you ask for a turn when he's like this he breaks into a jog as he falls out of balance. That and if you ask for a trot transition he dashes forward into it.

Freeing him from this locked and totally unrythmic state takes ten minutes of sending forward and endless circling away every time he sets. Suddenly, he clicks back into place and does some superb bouncing trot and then we finish. He always looks a bit space-bunnied, as if he's not quite sure how he ended up doing the stuff that he didn't really want to do. I am so relieved that I have already been riding him for over 9 months. He's a big boy now and he's going to be a right handful this spring!

It was a superb spring day today - if it wasn't still so wet underfoot the boys would be out tonight!

C

5 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Space bunnied - what a great term! We had great weather too and the weekend looks great! So good to hear that Jazz is feeling himself again. At this point he is no stranger to pain, is he?

ML

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Good for Jazz. He is definitely a more generous horse than his "brother." *lol*

Zip is quite a character. Again, he and Tucker could be cut from the same cloth. Have to wonder if the arrogance is the Thoroughbred in Zip. Tuck comes from the US Bold Ruler line and, if I recall, that bloodline was known for having "attitude."

Still, as time has passed and I've--at least for the moment--sorted out the physical issues, Tuck is proving more and more willing to work pretty reliably from the start of each ride. Here's hoping that change of heart is in Zip's future. "Space bunnies" are not at all fun to ride every day.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

I am glad Jazz is much better .. flu jab are nasties ...

Interesting with Zip. Have you tried a bit of "Baucher" when he is on his forehand: lifting up his forehand by a sharp raise of your hands, then lower your hands and ask for forward.

Trish on EE had great results with it, so did Gigi with many different horses ... I have lost the count ^-^

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Great when they bounce back that quickly..shows they are fit with a good immune system!

Lovely and mild up here but has been pretty windy again.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know ML we have no idea where we got it from. We think the Russians once sent a rabbit into space and we thought of the startled look it must have had on its face!

Zip is more TB than some of the flat racers I've owned Jean :-) !!

Muriel I use that Baucher technique very often. It's extremely effective. I didn't know that's what it was called though!

Mild here to Nicola - we might even go XC tomorrow at this rate.....

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home