Saturday, February 16, 2008

Georgie Porgie is here!

We picked up George this morning and he loaded like a little lamb. We backed the lorry into their yard up to a pile of stuff and there was no room for a decent approach at all but he still went in. He travelled well and the boys were terribly excited to see him. They don't seem at all snobbish about the fact that he doesn't know who his mummy and daddy are and they do :-)

We left him in a stable with the other pair talking over the door and went for lunch. When we got back all was calm, so I tacked him up and rode him. Yes I thought that might surprise you!! We just couldn't really see any reason not to.

He doesn't give the impression of being a horse which is newly backed at all. He stays out on the track, which no horse I have ever backed has done reliably until it has been ridden for several weeks. The people that I bought him from did not know what he had done, so they treated him as unbroken and started him from scratch. They got as far as sitting on him and leading him off, but no further. He and I had a walk and trot, stop, turn, circle, and finally leg yield. He knows it all. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he hunted at three in Ireland and can already jump.

He pokes his nose and doesn't know the word "dressage" but he is incredibly free in his movement for a stocky little chap, and much, much, MUCH more forward than I had any right to hope for. SH has seen him chasing Zippy this afternoon, and said that George was keeping up. In his words "he's no slouch!"

He is incredibly wide - I have a gullet plate wider than any saddle that I have ever used in my life and it's not wide enough. My knees felt like they were a yard apart!His back is like a football pitch. He's bum high (and what a bum) until he stands proud, when he reaches 16 hands and looks a different horse.

He has a panic button, which I found when I measured him, and he burst past me to get away from the stick. I held tight, expecting him to run to/through/over the gate to get to the other two who were watching. He never even hit the end of the reins, he just circled round me. So he has a very, very strong sense of join-up with humans.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for anything more from him. He is such a solid, honest fellow; more inately gymnastic than I thought he would be; further forward in his training. What a bargain he looks like he will turn out to be.

Meanwhile, Jazz has been in the barn this afternoon while the other two race each other around. He is less lame today and was even less so after he had been out all morning. If the turnout has no ill effects in increased lameness, heat or filling, then they will all go out tomorrow. After I've ridden George again, of course!

C.

5 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Claire said...

so what was that about giving Zip more work?

really that sounds very very good, and you're right, if he's come over from Ireland he will have done all sorts. and if he's done good join up as well all the better!

what a bargain - can't believe you got him for that price!

glad Jazz is looking as though he's getting better - thank goodness you've got the barn you can use for that purpose!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Wonderful! If he goes around the arena now, he is pretty far along. Chance was one of those "fall all over the place" off the rail horses, so Georgie can't be all that green. A big plus for you as he will move along very quickly.

Sounds as if your thighs and hips are going to get a good stretching, though. But that wide feel gives such a sense of "one leg at each corner." I am so happy to hear he is an even nicer fellow than you thought.

Good news about Jazz as well. you are going to have to manage your time and energy to give all three boys the attention and work they deserve. But, I can be done! I just don't spend hours grooming. Kind of knock off the mud in the saddle and tack spots and off we go. *G*

What fun it's going to be reading about your new adventures!

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Great news he sounds fab!Bet your going to have loads of fun with him this season and even better he's further along than you expected,I love forward horse's!:))

The people you bought him off seem pretty genuine and sensible..makes a change.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds fab!
If he's an Irish boy he's bound to have done a few seasons hunting - perfect grounding for eventing!
The only trouble with how they start them in Ireland of course is that aged 9 or 10 you often start to see early signs of spavins/problems arising from being worked fairly hard for a youngster.
However, hopefully he did just enough to get himself the perfect start for jumping and bravery and no more.
I hope he brings you much enjoyment.
Pics??
Cassie

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

The trouble with Zippy Claire is what nearly made me not buy him in the first place. He is desperately immature physically. But it's the only way I would have got hold of a £15,000 horse, so I'm not complaining! He can wait, it won't hurt him. (He can work tomorrow though!)

Jean, I can manage three - as you say, they don't need grooming!


Nicola, you are right, the people I bought him off were totally geniune. But I'll never understand why they didn't get on and ride him and find out how far ahead of where they thought he was he is. My good luck, I guess!


Cassie I think he's six and done nothing since last summer, so hopefully we will have caught him before they knackered him! It's a chance you have to take though, especially at that price!

SH took pics but he's been so great the last few days I can't hassle him to get them off the camera. Tomorrow I hope.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home