Friday, February 15, 2008

Progress and some exciting news!

I am feeling much more positive about Jazz. This morning he is sound in walk on a concrete or tarmac surface with his foot picked out. But he is well lame on a soft surface or before you pick out his foot. That's not a tendon, that's in the foot. It could still be a broken bone but I think now that it is "just" and almighty nasty bruise, probably having bruised the bones themselves, given how lame he's been. There is no sign of an abscess brewing. During the day today I have left him without bandages and his leg has only a whisper of a bit of filling in it, so he does seem to be healing. We're not out of the woods yet, but things are looking a lot more promising.

Meanwhile, to stop myself moping, I have been looking at Horsemart again! I reckoned that I would feel a lot more comfortable about the coming eventing season if I had a backup. Not only is Zippy too young (he has to be 5) but he is still incredibly immature and nowhere near ready to work seriously hard. So ..... look what I bought this afternoon!

Horsemart.co.uk Advert ref: HM801F79H
(sorry, I can't make the link thingy work)

He is nowhere near 16.1, in fact I will count myself lucky if he's anything over 15.3. But he's a big chunky horse, most probably shire cross. He really does look exactly like those photos, perhaps a tad heavier. He's got a real draft backside!! He was apparently imported from Ireland on a passport done in 2007 which says he was born in 2000. He's certainly not 8 and probably only 6. I know of other Irish imports like that - a seven year old is worth more than a five year old, so the less scrupulous put whatever date on it they like!! The seller's vet and dentist aged him as 5 last year, and I think he's 6 this year. He doesn't have even the slightest sign of a hook on the corners, so it's unlikely he's approaching or just leaving seven. I'll settle for 6.

He has been backed and been very sensible, in spite of their arena being on the top of a windswept moor with extremely heavy traffic thundering past the rails. He's just a rather nice example of a typical Irish horse, a good solid chap with a leg on each corner who will do what it says on the tin. And of course at that price, since he is jet black (not bay/black totally black black - quite a rare thing), unmarked and viceless and really does move surprisingly well, I can't see how I can lose unless he drops dead! And if Jazz doesn't come right I'm sure he's the kind of horse who will pop 2ft 11 just because it's in front of him.

There, have I surprised everyone? Tell me what you think, we pick him up tomorrow. I'm thinking of naming him Justin Case.

C

15 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Oh no! His picture didn't show up on my computer!

Will try a refresh, but in the meantime, Good for you! He sounds like a find fellow and since you have your own farm, why not?

Or, is that fact that you have your own farm a detriment that you can just go out and frivolously buy any old gorgeous big, honest, reliable, solid horse that happens your way? *grin*

Can't wait to see if I can see him.

And good for the progress with Jazz. You may yet end up with two horses to compete this season.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Try with the ad ref I've just edited in Jean, I'm having trouble with the link. The nice thing about Justin is that if Jazz is OK he will need pretty well no work to make him worth at least twice what I've paid for him. And what work he does need will be fun :-).

C

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Jean said...

OK got him! He is cute as a bug. Nice big body and bone and a good mover too. If his disposition as is good as you say, he is a real, make that REAL bargain!

With his body he should fill out your leg nicely.

So happy for you to find something so nice, especially when you need cheering up like this!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Oops..and I love the name! Justin Case! It's perfect.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Jean he really is as nice as he looks. I have no idea why he is so cheap! Either there is something very wrong with him which I have missed, or the people simply don't realise how much he's worth. They seem to be totally geniune. I'll reserve a bit of judgement until I've got him home but right now he looks like a bargain and a half. He was backed by someone that I know well, so they aren't hiding anything behaviour wise.

Not only that but he is only ten miles away!!

C

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

You never cease to surprise! Love the name - you can call him Casey for short. I'll see if I can find him.

ML

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Claire said...

justin case is the bargain of the century, lovely looking animal and if there isn't anything that no one knows about.

I dunno, these people who can just go buy a new horse :-)

enjoy.

and good news about jazz then, sounding a lot better!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Hee Hee you never fail to suprise!He looks very sweet and cheap, bet he'll end up being quite a substantial horse when he's worked correctly and muscled up.

I think its a great idea cant wait to hear how he goes and what reaction the boy's have to a new kid on the block:))

Good news about Jazz too.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, that is a good price!

Nice chap, you will be able to get on and get some work into him anyway.
Good name. Has he shoes?

Better news about Jazz, which is a relief.

Judith

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I try to keep you all interested. I know, so lucky to have a place to keep him Claire - but what a price, eh?

C

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judith we cross posted - no, it's a great bonus, no shoes and never has had. Super feet, nice size, good shape, already nice and hard. It was a point very much in his favour. He's smaller than I wanted but everything else was just too good to leave!

Picking up at 11 tomorrow.

C

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want your life (and therefore ability to buy horses willy nilly) :-))
What a great allround type he looks, won't be surprised to see you entered for an Intro once he's fitter!!
I prefer Justy to Casey as a name ;-)

Cassie

PS pleased to hear Jazz is looking to be on the mend.

PPS took Vigo to our first clear round today - I was cacking my pants but after he decided to put his back down he jumped the scary filler first time which my friend's 8yo refused twice!!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Muriel said...

Oh new horse! It seems so easy to sell and buy horses in the UK. Maybe I should advertise Linda on HorseSmart ^-^

Something typically British he has NO papers they will let him compete LOL it is unconceivable here.

He looks good. I am sure you will have fun with him.

I am so glad for Jazz
there is a thread on NR with a horrid abcess worth the look.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muriel there's no doubt that your policies on the continent create uniformly better quality horses than are bred in this country. But this fellow is a cracking little chap and if he was papered he'd have been too expensive! So, since I have an eye for a good one, luckily, I'm glad that I get the chance to buy a good horse cheap just because nobody knows where it came from :-)

HorseMart costs £10 and there are foreign horses on it. It's worth a go, seriously! If her breeding and movement is as good as I think you said, then she should sell in the UK at around £8,000.

Cassie about all I can say in justification is that I do actually know how lucky I am - I have so many friends who have no idea how blessed their lives are.

Wonderful news about Vigo, I am so pleased for you that you are having fun after your trials with Robin.

I'm off now - going to pick up George (well, maybe just for now - Zippy Bungle and George - a full Rainbow house!!)

C

ps Jazz slightly improved and I have taken the risk of turning him out. No significant filling in the leg, still lame but not quite as bad.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez I don't check in for a day and I'm all behind the times....


I guess you bought a horse then :-0

Mandeigh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home