Friday, November 02, 2007

Clean bill of health

Zip's had the day off because I had to sit by the phone and wait to hear whether the lorry had passed its MOT or whether I had to go and rescue Superhubby from the testing station. Good news, it's through, so we don't have to worry about it until after the next eventing season.

I have had Jazz for just over a year now and it amazes me that I continue to be bowled over by what a superb horse he is to ride. How can I describe him so that you can understand what I feel? Think of a male gymnast at his absolute prime, say 25 years old and bulging with muscle. Powerful enough to stand on his hands while his whole body is held horizontal above the floor. And then agile enough to tumble from one corner of the mat to the other like a gazelle leaping into space. Well, that's as close as I can get, I don't know if it's enough for you to be able to imagine it?

He almost got medium trot today. He's going to get it properly very soon now, and when he does it is going to be stunning. He lifted into a lengthening with utter ease, and began to feel like he was saying "hey this is going to be fun, let's do some more soon!" He was worth every penny I spent on him, even if it did take 40 minutes of walk exercises before he would relax and bend properly :-) The trot only took 30 seconds after the walk was in place!

Tomorrow we canter for the first time since the operation. I am looking forward to that!

C

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jean said...

It is wonderful to feel a talented horse under you. I had a young Thoroughbred I lost to colic after only 6 weeks of ownership. He had learned to do an extended trot on his own and it was such a glorious feeling--as if we were floating across and above the ring. PJ had a trot like that but didn't always offer it as he would get tense or have some chronic soreness issues.

Not sure I have that kind of athleticism with Tucker, but that's OK. He's adopted, so I love him despite it all. *G*

Go on, keep bragging. We'll all just sit here and take it. *G*

Three cheers for the lorry. Now excuses for not competing at that end. *wink*

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Claire said...

he was always worth the money you paid for him.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Hey hey never thought I'd hear you say spending that kind of money was worth it:)))) He must be quite something and clearly has you hooked!

Well done on the wagon, the upkeep of a wagon puts me off plus I dont have a 'handy' SuperHubby.I am toying with one of those van converts seems like a good middle ground for me..bit of saving to do yet!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Well they certainly can be horribly expensive Nicola. And of course they are so big that they are a *** to drive around. I much prefer the Renault Master conversions which can be MOTd in a normal garage, but there's no living space in them. That's a real drawback if you get a rainy day and/or have three hours between sections at an event. I'd like one of each - a van for day to day and a lorry to compete with!!

Ah Jean, I hope you're pulling my leg, but I just can't help waxing lyrical about him :-)!

I'd forgotten about how much he cost a year ago Claire - ooh, that was frightening, spending that much and not knowing whether he'd be any different from my normal £2,500 bargains - different? I should say so - and not always for the better!!!!

C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home