Is this summer?
There is glorious sunshine here today, perhaps the best weather we've had all summer! It may be a bit late, but I'm certainly not complaining about riding without a coat on in the second week of October.
I went and rode my friend's eventer this morning. I had a lovely time in the Cheshire countryside. Where she keeps him, you can do an hour's hack around the place without leaving the farm. I took him down a bit of road and we met some carnivorous donkeys. Not only that, Harvey clearly knew that they had a definite preference for horsemeat. He was terrified of the two little long-eared critters :-)
And it reminded me how desperately unsafe it can feel on a shod horse on a tarmac road. Especially one that's skittering about all over the road trying to get away from two cute donkeys, one brown and one grey.
My pair of boys are great, in the field enjoying the sunshine like the rest of us.
C

8 Comments:
Its lovely isnt it!Ive took their sheets back off,dont think their coats know what to do for the best though with all this change though.
Killer donkeys.. we have some at the bottom of our lane.The little one of the two is a real character.He runs up to the horses in the field has a bite then runs away bucking and broncing..very cute although Polo thinks they have horse meat on the menu too;)
Russell R., the brave event horse dumped me on the shoulder of the road when a donkey, just brought to the little farm where we boarded, popped out and brayed!!
Later the two of them got so attached the little donk would rest under Russ's belly and try to follow the trailer when I left for a show. (That was so sad as he ran down the road behind us braying and braying! It still breaks my heart to think of it.)
Ever after, every time Russell saw a donkey or long eared goat that LOOKED like a donkey, it was all I could to to keep him from visiting. Jack the little donk was eventually sold to someone I knew and had his own adventures.
So now you are having summer too! Up near 90F here again. I am sitting by my fan trying to stay cool.
Yes, shod feet on paved roads? Scary. Glad the two of you didn't go down! *whew!*
23 degrees C in the office carpark when I left to go to our other office on the coast - where it was more like 14 or so, cloudy and felt very cold!
I so agree about shod feet on roads.... glad I don't have to worry about that!
Yehaaa I've been in a t-shirt for days...5 days of sun in a row!
...by the bye, how are the Cheshire Farmers hunting on Saturday? I'd got the impression (perhaps mistaken) that we were still banned on FMD grounds, even though the markets etc are a jolly free-for-all.... Am embittered as we are also in the Low Risk Zone, so are you actually gallivanting about up there?! Strength to your elbows if you are :-) Nic
Why is it that they are so afraid of another equine do you reckon? Polo, Russsell R, Harvey - the species are related close enough to be fertile together for goodness sake! I can picture your little fellow running after the trailer Jean!
Good grief Claire - 23??? I thought we were doing fine with 18!OK Mandeigh stop bragging, we haven't had all the sun you've had.
Yes Nic, we are hunting up here "within Defra guidelines" whatever that means. I suspect it means no dawgs (terrribly sorry old chap - hinds!) but when you hunt a human laid drag anyway it can't make that much difference not to be following Cauliflower and Cabbage (yes they really DID name them after vegetables). But since I can't go anyway, I'm sitting wishing just like you are.
C
Very hot and sticky here. Far too hot for you Caroline, I am speaking 25 degrees C :-)
No more rug too
Ooh, yes, you keep that over there Muriel :-)
C
Post a Comment
<< Home