Horse-eating goats
Jazz's hacking has definitely improved a whole bunch. He is still spooky from time to time but the determined efforts to go home have completely disappeared. Today we met a herd of horse-eating goats who were spooked by a hiker. (We were out on the road and they were in a field, but he knew that they were a particular breed of goat that only eat horse :-) He whipped round and ran for it - but only one stride and then he was easy to stop and to take past them. He was on "heightened response" status for a few minutes then and did another whip-round at the sight of a biker's helmet appearing from a dip in the road ahead. But he stopped of his own accord this time, and then turned and faced it. Once he realised it was a whole bike and a rider, he was fine :-)
Tuesday is none too soon for him to be scoped. He has deteriorated rapidly, to the point where I am wondering whether it is possible that both sides of his vocal cords are going paralysed. He is unable to trot comfortably now on anything more than a slight incline. While he is fit and apparently very healthy from his appearance, he certainly now is in no doubt of needing some help to breath better. I'm quite glad about that in one way, because I wouldn't have wanted to put him through a risky general anaesthetic and an operation where he will have a hole cut right through his throat. But there seems little doubt now that he isn't going to manage much of a life without it.
I rode Zip on the arena. He was "unenthusiastic", I think it's fair to say. I had to send him on to get any suspesion in the trot or freedom through the back. I don't normally run horses around faster than they want to go naturally, in fact I'm towards the other end, slowing everything down. Slowing Jazz down works to increase the activity, but with Zip he has an ability to shrink his paces to something quite "ordinary". If you didn't know him you'd probably think it was fine, but I knew it wasn't right. I tried bends first, and nothing was changing, so I sent him out faster, and his back freed off and down came his head and neck and he started working forwards. I stopped after half a circuit of that on each rein and practiced some halts. He is really exceptional for a 3 year old - you would expect him to fidget and/or explode, but he doesn't. We stopped then.
I forgot to tell you that the other day I was riding Zip and he stopped going forwards and was reluctant to go on again. Without thinking, I gave him the kind of Pony Club kick that I would give Jazz in the same situation. Now that's not something I'd recommend on a newly backed 3 year old. But what did he do? Walk on, sighing deeply that life was so unfair :-) !
C

6 Comments:
those horse eaters.... wonderful things. we had some near a yard when i lived in the north of the county, old queenie was never amused by them running along the other side of the hedge, and as for baby goats....
I do fear if either Tucker or Toby saw those critters it would not have been pretty. Hysterical Thoroughbreds are not exactly fun to deal with. Now Chance might be a different story altogether.
However, we don't have any goats around here, so it's OK. Bike helmets attached to bikers, though...the thing about bikes is that they can silently sneak up on you, kind of like a stalking lion...ya know what I mean???
Good for Jazz. Really. Every time he goes out he gets better about conquering his fears.
You kicked Zip and he sighed? I am impressed. What a good disposition he has.
So Tuesday is the beginning of Jazz's odyssey towards the operation? I'm glad too that it's sooner rather than later. Poor boy. He is going to feel so much better when he can breathe!
You wonder how many horses a small herd of goats can manage in a year, don't you Claire :-) ?
Ah but Jean don't you get some wonderful airs above the ground on a panicking thoroughbred :-) ?
Yes, I kicked Zip and all he did was sigh about what a wicked person I am :-) Oh, and walk on as well, he may even have jogged a couple of paces.
C
:)))..its donkeys near our yard that freaks Polo out.
He has to walk past their field to hack out and he never fails to go on red alert.There was only one for ages but they've recently got a new young one its the cutest thing ever (not that Polo agrees) but so full of itself galloping around and bucking.
Sounds like Jazz really needs this op then which always helps when your making these type of decisions.
Nicola
nicola, what does alig make of the goats then?
and where's that blog.....
;))) took AliG for a walk today and dont think he even noticed them..i will get round to a blog...honestly !Too busy nursing Polo and having fun with Ali at the moment;)
Post a Comment
<< Home