Friday, August 17, 2007

A pat on the back

That's a pat on the back for me, by the way. Jazz was in a very funny mood today, and a few years ago I would have struggled to keep my cool with him and we would probably have ended up in a battle. Today, I managed to wheedle him through his bad mood and get to where I wanted to be - our slight lengthening the trot. He stopped about eight times by the entrance to the arena during 40 minutes or so. He made it very clear he didn't want to work, but he didn't rear once, and when I said "no" and sat and waited a few seconds, he was prepared to turn away and carry on, though making it very clear again that this was not what he wanted to do, but he was doing it for me. During the work he was setting his great strong neck and mincing his stride, but we got through that with halts and circles. I was very pleased with myself, can you tell :-))) ?

I'm not sure what the mood was about. We have guys working on the house so there was some drilling and hammering noise, perhaps it was that. He didn't come in with Zip, and I had to go and fetch him after Zippy and I had been for a short hack. When I took Jazz out onto the arena I got another ferret-up-a-trouser-leg moment when he spotted a hen pheasant in the grass on the field. He's seen plenty of those, so he was just rattled about something, perhaps he's got a headache? Anyway, he took a while to settle, but he did settle and I think that he is quite proud of himself that he managed to make me happy - he certainly looked it.

Zippy was grand. I took him out for a 15 minute hack. He was scared by the builder's vehicles in the yard, but went past them with some hesitation. We went to the top of the road to look at the big lorries. It's always the way, isn't it :-)? Artics and gravel trucks pile up and down that road all day long. You take a horse to look at them - and where are they all????? We got one 10 tonner and that was all. He didn't bat an eyelid at it, though I had him standing only about ten feet from the junction as it went past on the other side of the road without slowing down at all.

My plan for Zip is to work him about 3 days in four, but nothing more than a half hour hack or 15 minutes in the school. I think he will be happy with that. He has been ridden for three days in a row now, and he was more than happy to go out today. In fact, he moaned like mad when I turned for home and kept trying to turn around again and carry on exploring.

C

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Patience is a virtue. Need I say you were very virtuous today?

I know sometimes I just don't feel like working. I know horses aren't supposed to be that way, but why should they be any different? Could be some little twinge if discomfort somewhere--or a headache.

Sometimes, I think here something strange has happened during the time I don't see them that simply unsettles them and they can't quite wrap their brains back together. Or, the girth just settled in the wrong place 'round a belly. Or, they just don't feel like working, that's all.

Sometimes I go out to catch someone and can't get near anybody and other days all three horses are all over me. When PJ finally retired, we had a deal. I'd go out with the bridle, present it to him and if he stuck his head to it, it meant he felt like a ride and if not, he had the day off. He was always very clear about it.

Both Jazz and Zip seem to want to please you. Somehow Zip always manages to overcome his fears of things, especially all those horse-eating machines and trucks. Funny how they never show up when you need them, though. What a brace boy he is.

And Jazz? As it's turning out, he too has a wonderful attitude. It really does make riding rewarding in a special way.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're probably all quite pleased that he seems to be stopping the rearing, eh?

I don't think we give them quite enough credit for having moods just like we do, or a headache one day. It's a shame they can't speak English!

C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home