Unsettled.
Rattled by the noise of the rain on the roof of the barn. Twitching at the loud bangs when the wind blew the cladding about. Fidgetting when his mate called from outside. Not prepared to settle and work and throwing his head about. Zip? Oh no, he was perfect, it was Jazz :-) I told myself to remember that when I ride Zip tomorrow. If he did half what Jazz did today (including a few bucks in objection at being tapped with the whip, and one whopper of a rear when I ended up sat on his bum :-0) I would have been petrified of him. But because it was Jazz it was just a bit of a laugh.
I was a bit concerned about the change of the weather unsettling Zip, but there was none of it. He was the same as he has been every other day. And this is the eighth day that he has been ridden now, without any difficulties at all. What a good boy he is. If anything he is getting quieter and calmer, though I have to say that he has felt pretty calm every day I have ridden him, which is now five. I was particularly pleased that he failed to react to the noises, and especially that he failed to react to Jazz calling him. Jazz has not done that before, and I was really dismayed when he started, because separation is the one thing that has previously set Zip off (it's how he cut his foot, if you remember the wall demolition incident). When Zippy didn't even call back, but just carried on with his work, I was really pleased with him.
Jazz would not settle to work at all. He tried to convince me that he couldn't do walk to canter on the right rein. Funny, he seemed to get it all right once I put side reins on to stop him yanking at my hands! Then he wouldn't walk and it took an age to cool him down temperamentally and physically. I don't think he and I were quite on the same wavelength today :-) !
Tomorrow I hope to get to the farm ride. We were booked for today but the heavy showers and very strong winds made me cancel. It was supposed to be fun for both of us, and it didn't look as if it was going to be!
C.

4 Comments:
What an ironic twist! Funny, but Tucker too seems fine when the weather is blowy. I wonder if all the noise and bother actually are calming becuase there is nothing surprising to jump out of a quiet corner to eat him?
As for Jazz...well, I am glad you could laugh, a clear sign you are quite comfortable with him. I do hate the bopping about on the rein though. That is totally expasperating. Glad the side reins worked.
25 more rides to go before you reach the Kenny magic number of 30 days in a row in the saddle. Just sitting up there and doing things does wonders to settle a horse into the concept of being ridden. Whatever training you can get done is just a bonus.
May you and Jazz have a grand time on the farm ride.
By the by, Toby gets frazzled when left behind far more than Tucker. Could it be the recessive chestnut gene coming into play? *VBWG*
Ooh I have just caught up after a few days. Blimey you have been busy.
Fantastic news about Zip coming home, I think you have nipped it in the bud by sending him away he was getting a bit too comfortable and probably a tad big for his boots. Just keep building your confidence up and in no time if he does start you will deal with it just like you do with Jazz.
Take care
Anne
By the way, Badminton was won by a Mare.... :o)))))))
Tracey B
OK Tracey, point proved. And she is having a foal by embryo transfer too, so she doesn't have to stop competing while she gives birth!
Jean I think Kenny is about right with 30. 6 down, 24 to go.
Yes we've been keeping ourselves amused Anne.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home