Thursday, May 03, 2007

Stop press

Stop press update on Zippy's progress. This is in addition to today's posting about Jazz

Jonathan has ridden Zip for three days. He has walked and trotted him around the stable yard and today he has walked and trotted him in the arena. He says that he is "jumpy" but nothing too bad. He certainly hasn't tried to dump him. This is of course great news and I'm now looking forward to being able to ride him myself.

I'm going to go and see him tomorrow. If I am comfortable about what I see then I may go and fetch him home after Jonathan has ridden him on Saturday, because he is away Sunday and Monday at a show and he won't be worked then anyway. I'm not happy that that's good for him right now, nor can I see the point of paying for him to be standing in a stable not learning anything, but getting terribly bored.

I'm reasonably certain that if Jonathan can ride him around outside then I can manage him with walls to help me. If I have any doubts about that tomorrow then I will leave him there until next week.

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Claire said...

what was the original plan? i'd be inclined to stick with whatever that was.....

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was no plan. The original commission was "get him backed so he doesn't buck when you ride him". There was no timescale set on that and it's already been achieved. Smartie aside, I'm a very "sticky" and confident rider - I don't need to pay Joanathan to start schooling him, I only need to be reasonably sure he isn't going to deliberately jettison me just because I want to be on his back :-) If I think that's been achieved when I see him tomorrow then Jonathan can do Saturday and I'll bring him home Sunday morning.

C

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Make sure if you do ride him that you too flop around and make all kinds of scary noises. That will give you a feeling as to how "jumpy" is actually is. If the "jumpy" just means spooky at stuff, then he is more like Tucker and only great stress will induce the bucking.

Just be careful and be absolutely sure!!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Thanks Jean. I'm not bringing him home until I've ridden him there, I've decided. I need to ride him in the barn, where he chucked me last time, knowing that I have already ridden him somewhere else safely. So unless I get on him today, and he'd have to be rock solid for that to happen, he'll be there another week I think. Still quicker than any of us expected and SH is pleased at the bill :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home