Friday, May 04, 2007

I've ridden him!

This is in addition to Jazz's jumping post below.

Well! I have ridden Zip.

Jonathan tacked him up, brought him out of the stable and got straight on. What a shock! I never expected him to do that!! No long reining, no nothing, he just mounted from the stirrup and rode off. He rode him down the alleyway between the stables and around outside of the barn, twice, the second time in a trot. He spooked at a tractor, Jonathan tapped him with the whip. He had his leg on the whole time, and a contact the whole time.

We walked up the lane and back and then he went into the arena. He trotted round and my heavens what a trot!! Zippy did a big spook at some poles and Jonathan just pulled him up. No bucking or fuss. At that point I said to myself - you have to get on today, there is simply no reason whatsoever not to. If he was going to try and rid himself of his rider, he'd have done it then for sure.

Then he sent him forward into canter, for the first time in his life. He still didn't buck. He just cantered. His canter is far better than I had hoped for. Jean was right, and under saddle his back legs do not land at the same time, they are perfect. But the length of stride is something else!

We took him back to the stable and I talked to Jonathan and we agreed I should just get on. So I did. In the alley. I froze rigid and Jonathan said "walk on", to me not Zip, and then gave us a running set of second by second directions, so that I concentrated on him and not on what Zip might do. I rode twice around the block, once in walk, once in trot. I was going past the arena when a horse working in there exploded on the other side of the hedge. Zip jumped, but did nothing else.

I'm going back tomorrow to ride him in the arena and if I am happy then, we will bring him home on Sunday. Jonathan says he's not a bad boy at all, just a typical green horse. Green horse I can do. It was so reassuring to see him spook but have no thought in his head about dropping his rider. And he didn't react to my nerves either, so I think we can manage from now on if everything goes OK tomorrow.

C.

6 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH excellent news!!;)

It always helps having someone there instructing and talking you through it when your feeling nervous...Smartie definately left his mark didnt he,poor soul.

Jonathan certainly sounds like he's done the business and he doesnt hang about does he!!;)

Just what you both needed..really pleased to hear it!

Nicola

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so like Korskie! When I went to see him, after hitting the ground and getting knowhere, infact I even tried to sell him....the lad just tacked up mounted from the ground and rode off...I was stunned........ walk, trot, canter, no problem...I was crying tears of joy as much as tears of relief.

Way to go Zippy!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Claire said...

excellent.

may be i should let him loose on the molly mare (not that i can afford to but ...)

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I had tears in my eyes reading this post. Three times three cheers!! Canter already? Boy, do I need Johnathan to ride Chance...I haven't cantered yet. Then again, I always feel that it's kind of good to be able to steer before you canter...I don't think the pros care that much. *G*

This is the best and most exciting news I could want to hear. The Zip spook sounds so much like a Tuck spook that if it weren't for the fact that Zip moves much better than Tuck and is not a Thoroughbred, I'd declare them brothers. Maybe they have a common ancestor somewhere...

Congratulations. I am looking for good news tomorrow.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gate on the arena wasn't shut Jean. And he cantered a 20 metre circle on his more balanced rein. He can steer too! I'm certainly shocked at what Jonathan can achieve so quickly.

£120 a week isn't bad is it Claire?

Nicola Smartie ruined my nerve for backing babies totally. It's gone forever for me I'm afraid. (which is the point, really, I'm afraid and I never used to be).

Mandeigh I hope it continues to go the way of Korskie cos I've seen your picture of you and him in half pass and it's fantastic!

C

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

\Should have said £130 - still a bargain.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home