Less nerves, more progress
This morning I went and fetched the pair from the field. They were, of course, not responding to my call - because they were as far away as it's possible to get in their field. So after a tramp all the way down to get them, and all the way back up again, we were all set for some work.
I tacked Zippy up and took him straight into the barn. His attitude is definitely different since he's been away. Less dominant, more cautious, more actively looking to see what it is that you want him to do. I figure we can crack this riding thing before he gets mentally strong again, and before he is too full of food. He lost a bit of weight while he was away and that will have made him weaker too. Actually, if I'm truthful I don't think he gives any more of a fig about being ridden than he did about me sitting on him in the first place. I just scared him by panicking that time, that's all!
I said to myself that Jonathan would not long rein him this morning, so neither would I. With considerable nerves I went to mount and he moved while I was getting up and the saddle slipped. I stepped back down again, expecting ructions, but there were none. He must have breathed in to make the saddle slip because there was no extra give to buckle up the girth tighter. The second time he also moved off but I got on anyway and he was fine. Just fine. In fact he feels totally relaxed and waiting for instruction. We did figures of eight in walk and then realised that we had forgotten to clip on the breastplate to the D rings and that there was pretty much nothing to stop the saddle slipping back if he was silly - and that there's nothing to beat a girth around the willy to make a horse buck - look at any rodeo!
I practised a couple of halts, got off and clipped it on and got back on again. All trouble free. We did a couple of trots in each direction, which were much better than yesterday. He did a little skip or something when he heard rain on the roof, but my instincts kicked in properly and I raised my hands (to keep any power out of any buck coming) and put on my leg (to send him forwards and stop the buck that was coming). He immediately settled again and was totally calm. That has done my nerves no end of good - he was spooky, I stopped him easily, he settled again immediately. Wonderful progress.
Tomorrow I think I will feel like I used to feel pre-Smartie when I sat on a horse for the first time. Alert, slightly nervous, but basically fairly confident of being able to deal with what might happen. I hope so anyway.
Zippy is a fabulous horse and I am thrilled that it looks as if Iam going to be able to keep him. I could never afford to buy his quality in the state he's in now. He's probably an even better horse than Jazz. I bought him because of his neck and his movement. His neck has fulfilled all its promise - his natural carriage is rounded already. He works all the time with an arch in his neck. His movement is a glorious floating trot. Jazz and Zip's trots are of equal size. But Jazz feels "all power" and you can feel the muscles pushing him off the floor, which is a wonderful sensation. But Zip just floats along effortlessly, with just as much suspension and impulsion, but seemingly as if it is coming from nowhere. It is totally fantastic to have two such glorious horses and have them be so completely different to ride.
Zip also has a wonderful mouth and a great reaction to the leg. He is forward off the leg but not over-reactive. His mouth is like a strong bungie to feel - elastic and yielding. If those are the result of just ten days training then Jonathan knows what he's doing.
Jazz did a session inside then, since it was raining. He did some super work. I focussed on warming up in walk with a progression to lateral work. His half pass is really coming on and he knows how to stay in shape and cross his legs and move forwards and over. Then after a break we did walk/trot transitions. This is to teach him to listen and wait for my aids, which is something that he struggles with, preferring instead to amble about half asleep. It took a few repetitions to get it on one side, but it transferred to the other pretty well. He did work out that if he did not come down from the trot into a balanced walk that he could not do the next transition up. And also that if the transition up was not balanced then he could not get the walk balanced when he came down again. So he had to get it all right to do the exercise. Which he did, and then we stopped.
I am not taking our progress with Zip for granted just yet, but a few more days and I will be very happy.
C

11 Comments:
Well I am please to hear this huge progress with Zip! good move sending him away when you did...you could have procrastinated for ages and ended up getting nowhere. Whatever happens now susepct will just be minor and lets face it Jazz is no push over......looks like you have a nice string coming along there.
Why is it that horses are usually the furthest away from the barn as possible? The grass can't always be better out there.
What a thrill for you to have two horses that have so much talent. I imagine that Zip will be an eventer but his movement sounds ideal for dressage. How do their gaits compare to Tetley at the same stage of training?
ML
YAY! very good going, well pleased...
All right! I love your description of Zip's trot. It's that effortless feel that makes it so special. But that's not to knock Jazz either because he gives you that feeling of power you so need for the cross country. Zip may well be a marvelous jumper too, but I agree with Mary Lou. If we could ever bring you over from the "dark side" (that eventing stuff. *VBWG*) you will have a super dressage mount.
I know so much that little jumpy spooky feel. Now too, I am pretty confident Tucker will do no more than a little "eek" and then just go on. It's a little unnerving at first, but once you realize there will be no real explosion, it just gets to be part of the personality of the ride.
Jazz is progressing beautifully. You are truly blessed to have him and Zip in the same barn. The "wow" factor is pretty darn high, you know. *G*
Oh, and by the way. I am in awe of Johnathan's skill to accomplish so much in just 10 days!! You were really lucky to find him. What great advice you got from people.
Procrastination's never been a fault of mine Mandeigh :-) ! Impatience, yes that's me, but not dallying about.
ML, Tetley took until he was six to learn to change bend in trot without bringing up his head. His natural carriage was not rounded, but upside down and it took a long time to school him to go any other way. His paces were always huge and floppy (which is what I love because you can work with it) but so uncontrolled. He was basically too big for his own body until he got to mature at nine years old, when the really fantastic work he can do now was established. But these two were born dancing, so they have an enormous head start on him. Everything he had to try so hard to do for me, they just find so easy. He's a product of indiscriminate breeding and they are a product of generations of licenced state-sponsored selective breeding. It shows. They can't match his character though!
Thanks Claire, I was pleased myself!
Jean I was so afraid that Zip was too much for me, and to have him come through like this and to have two such quality horses is unbelievable. When Tetley had to go I was at a low ebb, but there are certainly compensations now.
I'm having a joke with SH that I shall make a point of competing both of them in the same dressage class - so that I can be sure of winning, depending on whether the judge wants to see power and substance or lightness and fluidity. It is such a massive bonus that they are two such different rides.
C.
I am rather in awe of his ability to get a young horse who has been broken only 3 days to canter on cue and on the correct leg. It was amazing to watch and I certainly could not have done it. I won't even be trying it.
I'm also salving my pride by telling myself that I must have done the basics pretty well to enable the pair of them to make such progress. Shame I fell, literally, at the last hurdle.
There's no doubt that JRP knows what he is doing with young horses.
C
You didn't fall. You were smart. Senidng Zip to Johnathan was one of the best ideas you've had since I've been reading the blog!
Knowing when you can do something and when someone else might be better at it can be hard. We so much need to feel totally competent in everything with our horses. You succeeded with Scooby and Tetley on your own. Smartie was an exception--no one could have succeeded with him--and you have been amazing with Jazz. That is more than most people have in a lifetime.
Take your own time with Zip. Now that you have seen what he can do, it will make it easier for you to get him there at your own pace and in your own style. After all, he is your horse.
I'm with Jean on that....its not a defeat of any kind, you just handed him over at exactly the right time for a different progression. Now its your turn again...no big deal.
That Jonathan sounds like a brilliant guy for starting horses, money well spent I'd say. Glad you did that quickly with Zip and reversed the Smartie nerves.
Tracey B
Tracey if I'd left it longer I would never have had the nerve to get back on again. For hte same reason, he will now stay in work and not be turned away for the winter. Not a lot of work, he does five minutes at a time, but I need to keep getting on his back now we are there.
Felt like a fall to me when I bit the dirt Jean :-) Thanks you and Mandeigh for your support though. We are most of us our own severest critics, aren't we?
I'm off out to ride him now.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home