Rain? Who ordered rain?
For some reason I was completely taken aback by seeing rain this morning. Unfortunately it meant that I can't walk Campo because the barn surface does not have enough give in it for him at the moment, and I really didn't want to get soaked. It has stopped for the moment so I might take him out in a minute. Meanwhile I have given him Buttie for company today because I just felt it was time he had some interaction. Buttie is being cheeky and getting squealed at, but then he is biting his chin so it serves him right :-))
There has been a big change in his action today. It doesn't feel much like progress but SH reminds me that after less than two weeks ALL change is good change because it is showing that things are ..... changing. So from being more lame on the off fore, he is suddenly more lame on the near fore today, and it isn't wearing off in the barn. If looks like classic navicular, and he was doing a classic toe-point too. I gave him the choice of being on the concrete yard or in his box last night and it looks like he chose to stand for too long on the hard surface and has given himself an aching heel.
I am simply gobsmacked, literally open-mouthed, at what has happened to his feet in 24 hours. I will photograph again tomorrow, when I think he will have an event line big enough to hold a pencil in place! His foot above the line is so tight and upright that it makes the rest of his toe look as if it is somehow "loose" and crumpling upwards. It's not, it's just the comparison of the two lines, but the speed of this change is simply unbelievable. His soles are much more difficult to flex with my fingers and I am extremely hopeful that we have cracked the insulin issues. Food wise, he routinely has food left in the barn in the evening and in the stable in the morning. He's eating as much as he needs and no more. Isn't that just wonderful????
I'm having trouble remembering that I only took him on for a few days to save him from being put to sleep, until I could ship him to someone with a dry lot. Now that he is here, and such a lovely boy, I am going to keep him until he is completely sound, however long that takes. He is so rewarding. I told Nikki that I would give him one month to prove to me that he could improve and that if there was no improvement I would have him put to sleep myself at the end of March. There is no possibility whatsoever of that happening now, and with the absolutely incredible changes happening to his feet, I doubt that it will be necessary for a long, long time. Let's hope I'm right!
C

11 Comments:
Hmmmmmm sounds like you are heading further and further into a full on dressage career.....nah nah nah nah...told you so....
Jazz and an Iberian.....
The changes in his feet are so rapid arn't they..... its quite astonishing...
Wait until you see the photo Mandeigh. Unbelievable that a horse can change its foot that much in 48 hours.
C
Aside from Buttiechinnipper, all sounds really good.
Amazing that feet can change so quickly. I am always ready to hear good news like this. I'm also happy you are committed to a long term effort to get Campo sound again. He deserves it.
He was mainly lame on his right fore, and that was the one that had the joint injections etc. In the last month though I thought he was alternating between that and the left fore... Toe pointing he has never done.
We need photos of those feet! I neeeed to seeeeee.;0)
So glad he has grown on you. He really is a lovely boy and I do miss him terribly - though Maya does not!
As an aside how much mag ox and brewers yeast is he on? Am fiddling round with the girls' diets at the moment, as I haven't bought any more F4F and it has run out.
Interestingly they have stopped licking the soil and battering their mineral lick. I think I'm right in thinking there is no selenium in F4F (As it can be so detrimental if overfed) but I was once told that here on the Wirral our land is deficient in selenium. Wonder if they have been craving something? I always thought they were after salt (We're right on the coast so the land IS salty) but they have salt licks they don't care much for..
Maya is being a complete diva about anything new in her bucket. She's such a brat. Kicks the bucket over in a paddy and then kicks the door and screams her head off, trying to tell me she's STARVING and I'm trying to POISON her!
Pip, thank goodness, has so far eaten whatever is in the bucket. There is no room in anyone's life for 2 Mayas!
Brilliant, I knew you could do it, and I'm sure you're about to become a dressage diva too ;-) How rewarding.
Tracey B
That is fantastic progress Caroline, well done. I can't wait to see the photos too.
Tracey S (Cloud_Cirrus)
He does deserve it Jean.
How interesting Nikki. He was definitely worse on the right when he arrived, but today is bad on the left - except I went and gave him a walk in the arena at lunchtime and he was sound in there. This is clearly a mechanical difficulty caused by being unable to roll over the long toe.
I am feeding 50g brewers yeast - a huge spoonful. And 50g Calmag, about two tablespoons. That's a double dose of MgO, the others are on half. I think BY has good selenium levels in it.
Not there yet Tracey B but surely good progress :-)
More photos soon CC.
C.
OK I'm, going to post one now, it is absolutely EXTRAORDINARY
I thought selenium tends to be lower in the west of the country, due to the higher rainfall.
Thought you would end up keeping him ! So has it taken the presure of you and him now ? Just take your time and hopefully and fingers crossed it will all come right for you and Cam .Bet you can tell its me by the spelling ! Westernfreak !
WF he's only going to be staying here until he's fixed. After that I really want him to go somewhere where he can have proper turnout with no grass - a track system or a big dry lot where he can have company and freedom. I'd build one myself but the Peak Park won't let me. But he will always be mine, I won't sell him or give him away.
We are in the west Judith, with very high rainfall.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home