I'm not effin it!
Jazz did some lovely work this morning. Admittedly as soon as he realised that he was going to have to put his back into it, he spotted that the F had moved about six inches from where it was when he last saw it. I don't accept nonsense like that anymore, he's a big boy now and I know when he's just having me on - so he got made to carry on his canter serpentines with simple changes across the centre line. Before that, he was doing some great flying changes which gave me the impression that he is fast approaching a point where he knows what to do with his legs and does not have to think about not tying them in knots any more.
Radar and I went for a hack. He was a spring dork, marching along full of energy and wanting to go faster than I did. He's certainly not short of enthusiasm.
Campero left a whole pack of haylage last night and today he is eating a bit and then wandering around a bit. He left a bit in the barn yesterday evening too, so he is now self-regulating how much he is eating. I am very much hoping that his feet will now cope with the level of sugar that he still has in his diet. In theory, if we have removed the insulin spikes from his blood, then there is a good chance.
He was stiff this morning though. Not footsore, stiff. I put that down to damage to the ddft ligament inside his foot, which is what will have been causing the "navicular" lameness. Although he was diagnosed with "navicular" from xrays showing a fuzzy bone edge, he never had an MRI scan which cost £1000 but identify soft tissue damage. Since changes to the bone were only present when there was also damage to the ddft in the dissections that Rooney, (I think?) did, then he is almost bound to have ddft lesions. That will explain him stiffening up overnight. His whole foot fall is different and he is putting completely different stresses on the ligament. Then he stands still overnight in the stable when the other boys need the barn, and they are stiffening up. He loosened up within a minute or so of moving around.
He chose to stay in the stony pen a lot of the afternoon canoodling with Radar and Jazz over the gate. He and Jazz are very competitive, with neither prepared to give ground to the other. They were biting and biting and biting, each trying to make the other accept defeat. At any time, one could have walked away, but they would not. I wasn't watching when one finally did so I don't know who admitted that he'd had enough. From the look of it, I think it will have been Jazz.
Another interesting day!
C

6 Comments:
Aw, what fun is it if you have figured out all the rules to Jazz's spooking game? You're no fun at all. *VBWG* Those changes take a while to get established, but once they are, the rest--the tempis, are a piece of cake.
Well, Radar was in his element out there in the wilds....well, out of the arena, anyhow. He's a country boy. *lol*
When my Boys play horse volleyball over the fence--their heads and teeth are the balls being bopped back and forth--there seem to be some sort of rules. However, far be it from me to quite figure out what they are. I do know that any one wearing a halter (head collar) is at a decided disadvantage in the wrestling part as the straps are easy to hang on to. Otherwise, snagging your opponents lips/chin is often the hold of choice. *G*
There was an article in Horse and Hound some time ago- about 2 years? - which said that a lot of "navicular syndrome" lameness was in fact soft tissue injury and not from bone changes. Quite a far reaching conclusion. It was a veterinary research paper I think.
Oh, I rode my horse for the first time since November. He was quiet as a lamb after 1 week on the horse walker, and a week long lining. Livery yard owner rode yesterday, so I went today. I have to admit that he is still getting a bit of sedation, so he can go out to graze as well. Going for a ride on the road next, so then he can come home. Having known him since a 2 year old, she was shocked at his awful behaviour last week when first put on the lunge and agreed that he was impossible for me to control at home. I am lucky that I have a good, knowledgeable yard to send him to.
Good progress on all fronts. I'm off for a few days, looking forward to how Campero is when I return, fingers crossed.
Happy hunting if you're off out again tomorrow.
Cheers Tracey B
Radar and Felix were separated at birth, I think - both awesome, athletic and perfectly balanced out hunting, but complete zombies and yobs in the school... ;-0 Perhaps they are smarter than we are LOL!!
ooooh I always knew I liked my vet for reason - he did my old horses MRI for virtually nothing. Well done you for giving this guy a chance
Campero means "countryman" Jean, so I have two :-)
Sounds like you did the right thing Judith! I hope he behaves when you get him home.
Seeya Tracey, have a good trip.
I don't think that we should ever let them meet Nic, who knows what they might hatch up between them :-))
Anon? You were very lucky! A survey running now on Horse and HOund Online is coming up with figures between £700 and £1100 :-00000 I would LOVE before and after MRIs of Camperos feet but he isn't insured and it's not going to happen!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home