Sit down Nikki
I think Nikki may need to sit down before she reads this one. Campo had hay left in his hayrack when I went out this morning :-0000000 !! OK I had made it very difficult for him to get much out at a time, but he simply wasn't hungry enough to make it worth his while to pull at the strands that he could get hold of. On the night he arrived I gave him a double haynet (one inside the other to make the holes even smaller, though both were already small-hole) at about 6 o'clock and it was gone in about an hour. I watched him and he savaged it. This morning I left him in the barn with one haynet, with less in it than the first one. Four hours later I have come home and he still has some left in the net. His eating has changed and he now chews a bit before going for the next mouthful. Not for long, but nothing like the conveyor belt act that he was doing on Sunday. He is sound walking around in the barn and on flat/slightly roughened hard surfaces. Only actual stones are an issue for him at the moment, though as Tracey says, sensitivity can increase later on. I think it's very much in his favour, though, that he spent time less than a year ago without shoes on. Sometimes it takes weeks for that "nerve waking up" thing to happen, but I'm sure he went through that on Monday night.
I'm also convinced that allowing him to feel the cold (that's feel THE cold, not "feel cold" himself) has kick-started his metabolism to mobilise his fat reserves to keep him warm. He is shedding coat, so he's not cold, but since he is more than half clipped he has to be using massively more energy to keep himself warm than he was in a rug.
I understand too, that stress has a considerable affect on these IR horses, and I wonder if other things are going on. For example, Nikki has told us that he took responsibility for his sisters, and I am struck by how calm he has been here after being separated from them. SH has suggested to me that he has a personality which stresses over being responsible, and that would have raised his cortisol levels which would have raised his insulin too. I think it's entirely possible, because he seems incredibly calm for a horse who is not used to being alone, (never mind one that kicked the stable if left in without his sisters) that he is actually relieved to only have himself to think about. He's not "shut down", he's just "soft" and gentle while being very alert and bright and interested. I don't think I have ever had a horse who has made such an immediate impact on me, and I'm not saying that to make Nikki feel happy, because I don't do that kind of thing! He is just a very lovable horse.
Anyway, some words for Jazz. We've had a great lesson. Shoulder in, much improved travers, improved again flying changes, a much better idea of medium trot and all with better submission than ever before. So much so that when two youngsters came dancing over to the fence saying "come play, come play" he looked down his nose at them and said "do you mind! I'm working!!". Who would have imagined that a couple of years ago?
Then Radar. Sigh. I only had half an hour and the only way I could get a back-up-head-down walk was to do 5 metre circles. So that's what we did. Any time I let him out of that, he just marched off. Sigh. Leave him a week and he forgets everything he knew. Sigh. :-)))) (I love him really!) What a good job I have two other dressage divas!
C
PS I think I ought to make it clear that there is no way that Campero was short of food the day he arrived to make him appear so ravenous. It's just a feature of IR. Over Sunday night he did almost three times the volume of poo that I would have expected. I was shocked on Monday morning to take as much out from just him as I normally do from ALL THREE of the others. He is now down to a normal volume. So he's eating a lot less, and using it a lot more. He is also drinking less. Nikki said he drinks 2 - 2.5 buckets a night and he is only drinking 1 or a little bit more.

11 Comments:
Aside from the magnesium, what supplements is he on? I am waiting form the magnesium to come in for Tucker. I ordered it as no one seemed to stock it around here. Patrice Edwards thought Tucker might be IR, so aside from entirely changing his diet--which would pose some difficulty considering the set up I have here.
It's amazing to hear how quickly Campo's behavior is changing. I think we often underestimate a horse's intelligence and emotional complexity. Good to hear he is content in his new home.
As for Jazz, another amazing transformation. He is definitely going to be a good dressage horse if he can focus that well. You must be pleased to have discovered his true calling and so must he.
As for Radar...well radaR seems to have returned. He apparently has a totally different perspective on life--his own. I still advocate a good solid foundation of flatwork, as you do too, so keep up the good fight. Sooner or later he will figure out that it's easier to cooperate than flail about. *G*
Too bad about the roads. Buttie would be a great driving pony. My wooded trails and paths around the fields would accomodate a pony and cart, so if you ever what to come over....set sail! *VBWG*
Copper because we are high in manganese and that suppresses copper uptake - 50 milligrams a day in 0.25 gram of copper sulphate. Brewer's Yeast in very high quantities - about 75 grams a day. Magnesium carbontate at double dose 50 grams a day.
You would need to cut out molassed feed Jean (except that most horses will cope with a small quantitiy of molassed beet pulp, as Campero is at the moment. And if you feed hay you would need to soak it to dissolve out the sugar in it. Other than that your place is fantastic because you don't have grass do you? I was suspicious about Tucker myself when I look at the photo on your blog. There is something quite characteristic about the distribution of fat on his neck and body.
C
Woo hoo, good news for Campero. So is the brewer's yeast a new addition? What do you think has changed his viracious appetite down to a sensible one, surely not just taking his rug off? I'm very interested to learn from this experience as you can tell.
I'm glad you're struck on him Caroline, he totally bowled over my friend, she was devastated when Nikki decided not to sell him. I know he's grey......but.....
Tracey B
What is is that his made the difference re. his eating behaviour? It's great, I'm just wondering what's done it? Admittedly I could only ever feed him 3 times a day at max, but he always wolfed it down (As you've seen) and if hungry could get rather grumpy about it. Similar feeling to what you would feel yourself if deperately hungry really, but I knew he 'couldn't' be THAT hungry.
I never hit his limit, the only time he ever had hay left was when on livery and they quite frankly over-fed him! I know you'r enot doing that so what is affecting his appetite so? My own hay was very late cut, unfertilised meadow hay, and I soaked it for 2-3 hours too.
In Portugal he was reknowned for his huge quantities of pooh, even though he was very strictly fed there. The stable staff hated mucking him out. I have tennis elbow from pooh picking my paddock of his many and humungous piles, which I am hoping will ease now there is so much less of it!
I've had him on magnesium - though not as high a level as that. His sister gets magnesium and brewers yeast too too. She is a good doer, but not so inclined to be cresty, or grumpily hungry - and she has very good feet...
Re. his sisters, funnily enough now they have got used to him not being there, they are much calmer too. There was 'an edge' between him and the eldest as they were rather competitive with both food and my attention. Whichever one I wasn't riding would stand and watch and buck and shake their heads. His sister would even whinny and paw at the school gate if I was on C! She would see me get the tack from the car and she'd run round to the stables and whinny - Ride ME, Ride ME! Well, now she has me more to herself so she is happy.. Though she did have a tantrum when I took the 2 yr old out for a walk this morning. She wants to be an only horse and a spoilt girl!
Oh and my girls have no rugs on either.
The whole family are early moulters. Mum would start as soon as we passed shortest day, and the rest shortly after...
I have been feeding brewers yeast for about four months now Tracey. It shows in their feet with cracks that Jazz has now only surface lines.
Nikki I am puzzled myself about this amazingly rapid change. My research suggested that he needed his total level of food reduced, because high volume was increasing his insulin production. And in addition to that he needed his intake smoothing out, because eating fast at intervals was causing insulin spikes, which were causing blood sugar collapses, which were causing intense hunger, and so on around the circle.
So I set out to feed him a normal amount for a horse of his size in no work, but to make him eat it so slowly that the insulin levels stayed ...level. To do that, Allan worked for four hours on Monday to fit an indutrial strength rack to his stable wall strongly enough so that he could not pull it loose, and I worked my fingers, literally, til they bled, to wire it up so that he could not eat very fast.
In addition to that I am convinced that there is something about being away from his sisters and/or with no competition (ie on his own) and/or here and/or with me that makes him feel settled and secure. My success with the behavioural rehabs that I have done for years has been due to the way that they accept me as their leader and pass responsibility to me.
You've heard already about how he walked through that tiny barn door after me with no hesitation. I'm used to that sort of reaction. My vets are open-mouthed about where my horses will follow me. Tonight I moved him from the barn to his stable and he went to spook really badly at a piece of plastic blowing in the bitter east wind we have here tonight. Then he looked at me and saw that I was completely unconcerned, and just clicked straight back into total calmness.
So I think it is both physical issues and behavioural and environmental factors that have produced this marked change. We have to hope that it will continue because it is the key to his recovery. Tonight I led him around on the roughest and stoniest parts of the yard and failed to get any reaction from his feet at all. He's either numb, or lost his sole sensitivity completely. Time will tell.
He is a wonderful project, the most exciting and satisfying thing that I have done in a long time.
C
And also he is fed five times a day, though we will now reduce that to four since he is not finishing up all he is given.
C
Oh and I have sat for hours and watched him eat. In response to what I saw I asked SH (SuperHubby!) to add a lid to his hayrack to stop him getting big mouthfuls out of the top. And increased the wiring so he could not dislodge it to get more though. In the barn I spread a mouthful of haylage here there and everywhere so he had to walk around and seek it out for two days and then today I hung a haynet from a rope so that it swung about a lot and he couldn't just chow down on it.
Also, of course, he has now not had a morsel of greeen stuff since the bit he grabbed off the bank just before you put him in his new stable.
C
I do, by the way, suspect that he is immensely reactive to grass. I don't plan to test that nay time soon!
C
You are right about the grass here. I have some, but it is not really of very high quality. I'll add the brewer's yeast.
Soaking the hay is iffy as I usually put it out for everyone to share.
We'll try the magnesium and brewer's yeast and see if there is any difference.
How much is "some" Jean? The bad ones can react to mouthfuls. Nikki has tried Campero on a starvation paddock that looked like it had none on it, and a muzzle and neither of those was enough to control his insulin levels.
Soaked hay won't do anyone any harm if you soak it for everyone. It will be better for all of them. In this country it is not recommended to feed unsoaked hay at all.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home