Back to work
I finally worked Jazz today for the first time since we went to Sonia last week. Last week's lesson was so great that I had a funny "I don't want to spoil things" few days, and then I decided to leave him until we got back from our trip. To my disgust it was snowing and settling and sub zero again this morning (when WILL this end????!!!) so we were inside. I warmed him up with some walk and it took quite a few minutes for him to relax his back and swing.
Then I popped him into a slow canter, which has to stay up and forward, and once he was doing 10m circles in that canter, I put in some flying changes across the diagonal. Has he improved or what! He can now throw in a crisp, sharp change out of a very slow canter, in both directions. At one point I did a figure of eight with changes across the centre - now remember that this space is only 90 feet by 38 feet - that is impressive work! He is the only horse I have ever had who could canter circles in there, never mind do a figure of eight with flying changes.
I think he must be worried that Radar is going to be my favourite, and upping his game to make sure he keeps his hold on my affections! Talking about my affections, the friend who fed them for me on Tuesday said he bolted his food down and was weaving and fretting when he finished. That is very unusual behaviour (and he was a little bit that way this morning too) so it's pretty clear how much he missed me. While this is lovely to know, it is a worry how attached he is to me and how much it upsets him if I am not there.
I have a wonderful tale to tell you about that naughty pony and his diving exploits, but you will have to wait until tomorrow.
C

3 Comments:
Naughty pony diving? That must be interesting. I hope he scores well. *lol*
Jazz is certainly an interesting fellow. I do love his work ethic, and now that's he's finally able to please you, he seems to desperately want to. His attachment to you reminds me of my Russell, but I think Russell had a bit more self-confidence.
Make sure you explain things to Jazz as you go along, telling him he is your dressage star and Radar is your hunt star. Horses understand a lot more than people credit them for and I think Jazz would appreciate some reassurance now and then.
Super about the changes and wonderfully balanced canter. He does sound so athletic. Bit of a temp break here, but we're under so much snow it's not even worth trying to ride in it. The horse would be exhausted after five minutes...and my guys are just not fit enough to put them through that.
There is a rumor winter will end eventually....I heard it somewhere.....
time off has done him good then.. i've often heard it said that a break helps the horse establish whatever it is in his/her mind.. thinking time...
it's not a theory I believe much in Claire - I think horses learn by doing, not by thinking - we don't know what he would have done if I had ridden him the day after my lesson, do we?
I think the rumour that winter will end shortly is just a rumour Jean. We have another Severe Weather Warning out for tonight - spare us, please!! I'm sorry you are getting a winter like it too!
C.
Post a Comment
<< Home