The Bill.
I've been working today so not had time to ride and certainly have no energy left right now :-)
Radar should have his first outing tomorrow since the teeth were done 8 days ago - 9 tomorrow. It didn't cost me as much as I thought it would. Taking off £35 for the routine tooth rasping while we waited for the anaesthetic to kick in, and the second flu jab, both of which he would have had to have anyway, the bill was £155. Not at all bad for sedatives, bute, anaesthetic, tetanus anti-toxin, vet time of 40 minutes not including the rasping time, vet nurse cleanup-all-the-blood time and VAT. I'm quite relieved!
Jazz is very, very kissy-kissy tonight - I think he knows what a clever boy he was yesterday :-)
Just in case you missed my late comment yesterday, I'll repeat it here.
"the other thing I forget to mention is very different from other trainers. Whenever Jazz listens and gives, Sonia has me release the contact. So his work is always, always in HIS OWN balance and not because I am supporting him. The support and control is from my seat, not my hands. I love her training methods and I went to her because I was told how she encouraged lightness in the contact. I've had to learn to ride controlling his legs individually with my seat and when it works it's quite fantastic."
C.

6 Comments:
Ah, I didn't miss the comment. My trainer was always telling me to "give" with my hand when the horse was right. Softening when the response is right is an important reward. Ideally, after a while, the horse will need less and less "correction" or half halts with the hands to do his work.
When I was showing Toby and PJ in the FEI tests, I could do a huge canter lengthening on the long side, because I knew all I had to do was sit up/half halt with my seat and they'd come back to collected canter. I remember one judge told me she was ready to bail out of the judge's booth when I was extending towards her on PJ, because she was sure we were going to go right through the arena fence. I kind of laughed and said, "No, I knew he'd come back to me."
I marveled at Steffan Peters World Cup on Ravel when he did a HUGE extended canter across the diagonal. Ravel just moved into it and back out of it with a breath of Steffan's aids. Lovely to behold.
Now, if I could only master every exercise that way!! *G* Sounds as if Jazz is well on track to get there.
yes i saw it as well and have been told that
Sonia also refers to it as his "reward" Jean.
Easier said than done on a horse that is not perfectly balanced though Claire! Molly doesn't help you like Jazz is helping me now.
C
Interesting co-incidence of your comments Jean - the other thing Sonia had us doing was extending the trot and the canter to check if he could keep the balance in the lengthened paces and come back to me again. She's obviously on the same wavelength as people you train with!
C
Ah, yes. And that is why I have been so picky about my trainers. I believe I have been sharp enough to, as my one trainer used to say, "Separate the wheat from the chaff," in selecting my trainers. I will watch a lesson first, and usually I'll know in short order whether I want to work with that person or not.
I have, however, been "stung" by signing up for clinics with "Famous" trainers--and here in NJ we have many who pass through including Olympic riders, judges, etc.--only to discover very little in the lesson I could ever use to improve my horse.
I went to an Olympic team rider for some jump training once. His "superb" faciilities turned out to be a rock hard undersized indoor school. You couldn't canter a 20 metre circle because the jumps were in the way. His teaching was no better. I got a 50% refund after I went home, total waste of money and blew my confidence too.
Give me a nonentitiy who knows how to teach any day!!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home