A visitor
Jazz and I went out for a hack with a friend today. For half the ride he was on roads he has never seen before, getting further and further away from home. He was super. Which was just as well, because for part of the ride there was a very narrow road and a ravine with an almost verticle slope over fifty feet deep on one side :-000000 The road itself is closed to traffic on Sundays, or I would not have gone that way. The other horse was shod and the hills were very steep, so she had to keep on the path on the verge, picking her way through the stones and ruts. Jazz and I sauntered happily down the tarmac, of course.
Radar didn't get ridden after all, but he is so happy in the mouth now that I can't see any reason not to give it a little go tomorrow and see what he thinks. He is very friendly now, always wanting to talk if I am around.
Zippy was terribly excited about a strange horse being in the yard but he did manage to stop short of climbing over his stable door to say hello to him. Buttie made firm friends though, nibbling the base of his neck while the visitor scratched his withers for him. He's got another fan to ad to his fanbase!
C

5 Comments:
Oh, I hate trails like that. One of my friends moved out to Colorado and told me about the mountain paths out there. Not for me!!!
But good for Jazz. He must have felt like hot stuff to be so bold and able to walk where the other horse dared not to trod. *G*
And Buttie. Well, what can we say? He is too charming by far. I can't wait to hear what happens the first time he goes out to mascot.
He wasn't quite as brave as I have made out Jean :-)
The steep hills weren't near the ravine and the ravine itself was flat and had a ten foot wide tarmac road alongside it.
He was still a jolly good boy though!
No riding today, weather was .... well it WAS a Bank Holiday!
C
When you have a horse like Toby who can, in a blink of an eye, shy 15 or more feet to the side without thinking about it, a ravine along the edge of any road...ten feet wide or not...is too close. *G*
He nearly took me off the side if the hill by the lake in back one time spooking at a bunny or some other equally small furry creature in the woods.
Have ravine? Need big, strong, tall fence between it and me.
And it's raining here....again.
Even riding on a disused railway line over a viaduct is scarey. Although why I think my horse is likely to throw himself off the side, I have no idea. He was quite calm and just looked interested when the cars and lorries disappeared underneath him.
I agree it was a bit frightening Jean! And the same thing Judith - why on earth WOULD he run down a verticle fifty foot slope, but somehow you can't help but be frightened that he will!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home