THAT's better!
We had a grrrrrrrrrrrrand old hunt today. All over the Ferranti and Capesthorne estates. Loads of grass, loads of gallop, loads of small fences. Wheeeeeeeee! I worked out, finally, that if I stopped looking at the fences then Bungo jumped them much better. The man who was a bit of a **** last week made a point of being nice to me this week, and we had a really nice conversation at one of the checks. I think we now have a much greater mutual respect for one another, which is good.
The only bad note was that Jazz got kicked, hard, on his cannon bone of his off hind. He held it off the floor for a while, and I made him walk round a bit to try and walk it off (he wasn't lame). When I got home, there was an obvious lump and I feared for what it would be like tomorrow. But when I brought him in just now, it was cold and has reduced in size, so I think we got away with that. Thank goodness I hunt him in boots, otherwise I think it could have been really serious, it was one heck of a crack from a shod hoof.
When we were approaching home, we could see Zippy and Button wheeling around in circles in the field, in their excitement that Jazz was coming back. It was hilarious to watch the elegant Zip and the fast and furious Button whizz about together - I laughed like a drain.
C

4 Comments:
The hunt sounds like great fun. I will be reading tomorrow, hoping to hear that Jazz still seems ok from the kick. That's another good reason to keep a horse barefoot!
Ouch! Poor Jazz. Was the horse that kicked him wearing its ribbon?? Bet not. "Oh, my horse has never kicked anyone before....." (Heard that one before too.) Glad he is OK. Good thing about those boots.
Will there be a day the little mite does not have you in stitches? Apparently Buttons future as a charity star is assured, provided you advertise him as the class clown. *lol*
It would have been nothing much from an unshod horse, but it had a great thick heavy shoe on and the "crack" was like a gunshot ML
Jean the girl on it was mortified, really embarassed. I really don't think the horse is "a kicker" in the sense that it should wear a ribbon. It was just tired, and flicked a leg sideways to register its annoyance that we were standing too long at a check. It was more that it "happened" to get Jazz than any deliberate attempt to hurt him. I think it may even have been trying to shake off its boot.
Everyone loves Button, you just can't help it. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get you a picture of what greets me every morning when I go outside. He puts his head over the door, but it is so high and he is so tiny, that he has to roll his eyes right back in his head to actually see past his nose. That gives him white tops to his eyes and makes him look completely surprised and even more funny!
C
ps hunt pix from last week - pedderz.com, CFDH Rudyard Meet page 1, 24/5 page 3 108/9/10/11/12 page 6 202/3 230/1/2/3 Some of them are a bit hairy - the ground was so bad and we weren't as confident as we were today.
A bit hairy?? I'd say really hairy! Jumping in those kinds of conditions is downright scary.
Those pix put my heart right into my throat. *whew*
Post a Comment
<< Home