Kamikaze Button :-0
Does he have a death-wish !!? It never crossed my mind that he would tip the water out of the sugarbeet, which I had put to soak overnight, while my back was turned - and eat a good pound of unsoaked sugar beet pellets. :-0000000 Do you KNOW how much that stuff expands? And it was going to expand overnight in Button's tiny little gut. I checked him at midnight, five o'clock (worrying gut noises, as if pushing against a blockage) and SH checked him about seven. We got away with it, but I won't be letting that happen again!
George's family have been up to see Buttie. They loved him to bits, and the two girls were having great fun teaching him to trot in hand. They all adore George, Dad included, and Mum has started learning to ride him on the lead rein. M has been trying to do too much too soon, and jump in a snaffle and not a pelham, consequently losing a bit of control. So I put her right on that and told them to change their jump trainer, because he wants her to stop using the pelham. She has great hands, and I always rode him in it, so I can't see what the trainer's problem is!
I showed the girls Jazz's new canter/walk transition, which he did brilliantly. They rode him then, and I could see how fantastic his walk is now - it looks like an extended walk, he stretches his foreleg so far forward. Absolutely beautiful. He did some gorgeous trot too. It is a long time since I have seen him ridden and I could see just how much he had improved. I'm dead chuffed with him tonight :-)
C

9 Comments:
Wow, he gets into everything! Reminds me of a human two year old - you just can't turn your back on them. Thank goodness he was ok. Maybe he even learned something (that's going a bit far).
This snaffle vs pelham attitude I come up against too. If the horse doesn't mind, goes well forward, is under control, gives the rider confidence, then what's the problem?
As long as the pelham is legal in the riding classes M hopes to compete in, I don't see a problem. Better to use what works the best with George.
Nah, Buttie did not learn a lesson except that the beet pulp tasted just grand. You will have to remember to "childproof" absolutely everything in the barn and stable area, I fear. He and Chance would have a field day if they every got together. What Buttons doesn't yet know, Chance would teach him and vice versa. (Remember, Chance unties knots in baling twine. And I've seen him working on the snap hooks on the gate chains.)
Do not leave your cell phone in the barn. He will run up the bill with calls to the US and Australia for assistance with the door locks. The Horse Helpline network does not currently have a toll free number. *lol*
ML if he had fingers he'd be pushing them into the power sockets!
I have a feeling that he is working out how to use the door handle on the feed room Jean, I'm going to have to deadlock it from now on and not just leave it on the latch.
C
Hmm! Sounds like what he lacks in size, he makes up for in character...thank goodness it wasn't a case of curiousity killed the cat! I'm glad George is still making M very happy...and if he's managed to convert her mum too then that can only be a good thing.
How's Zippy doing?
Louise
the pelham - it'll be the usual look of horror on people's faces as they assume you're using it for serious brakes.... and general misunderstanding.
glad george is working well for ALL the family - guess they want one each?
as for buttie boy ... lucky lucky him! padlocks all round, and then hide the keys.
I haven't ridden Zippy since Monday Louise. I am so disappointed that he hasn't progressed with his jumping that I don't want to ride him for fear of losing my temper with him, which would do neither of us any good. Jazz and I hunt tomorrow, and then I'll school Zippy on Sunday.
Buttie got away with it Claire, even if I did lose a night's sleep!
Stupid about the pelham prejudice, isn't it? I see people out hunting whose horses mouths are bleeding where they have hauled them about, looking at my pelham with distaste! More fool them.
C
are you OK, caroline?
Puzzled by your question Claire - I am very disappointed that Zippy's much better attitude to jumping than Jazz's has not resulted in a much faster progression. But heck, he's been assessed as a Grand Prix horse in the making, how cross can you be with him? It just wasn't "safe" for me to ride him while I felt disappointed with him, these boys learn so quickly that I could set him back months with a bad ride. I've had a good hunt today so I'm ready to work Zip tomorrow now.
So thanks for asking, but yes I'm fine.
C
my head was in tomorrow, and i was concerned you'd survived hunting ok .....
Post a Comment
<< Home