Forgiven for yesterday
Two posts today - don't miss the pix on the first one!
I forgive Jazz for yesterday's misdemeanours. We have had a brilliant lesson with Sonia. For a start the driving wind and rain on this side of the High Peak was completely absent from the other side. A good start.
Even better, there were lots of changes to the arena, with the drainage now mostly complete in the field alongside, and horses were being ridden across the field next door, and a dog was playing in another one. Jazz is programmed to react to change and although he clearly noticed all of it, he didn't misbehave at any of it. He concentrated really well, and his submission was very, very much improved.
Sonia commented on how much he had improved in two weeks and seemed quite surprised and very pleased. Today we worked on roundness and activity, and got him really sitting down and bringing his shoulders up and out. This is still with my legs off, with well-timed half halts, and with a lot of work where we slow him right down until he is almost forced to break into the pace below, then ask him to go forward again. He did some super stuff. (On downward transitions, she has me slow it and slow it until he IS forced to drop into the pace below.)
We did some leg yield, easy peasy to move over, but not quite so easy for him to stay in the outline and do it, so a good exercise in more submission. In the exercise after the leg yield she said "His problem is that he thinks too much, he's still thinking about that leg yield instead of what we are doing now - you can see it written all over his face". She really can read a horse, that's for sure.
Jazz's canter was fantastic today on a circle and we began to move it around the arena while trying to keep the quality. I felt like I learned an awful lot about how to sit him, where to put myself and when to hold and when to give with the rein. I am certainly sitting more upright than I have for years and my contact is more consistent than it has ever been. Interestingly, we found that sitting right down into the saddle with as much weight as I can (not driving forwards, sitting downwards) improves the roundness of his canter, which Sonia says is not the case with all horses.
In walk, she asked me to get him to walk as short as possible while staying active, and then said to keep it as short as I could and touch him carefully with the whip. He skipped a couple of times, kicked out once, but tried hard to work out what we wanted. Then she laughed and said delightedly "he's going to be so easy to teach piaffe". Starting piaffe on our second lesson, boy am I smiling or what?
When we finished she said that he is "very clever" with his back legs and it's obvious that she thinks he's a seriously good horse. I had a really good time and enjoyed the lesson immmensely. He can stay another two weeks until our next one :-)))
C

7 Comments:
That lady knows her job. So nice to read what she sayd, she does not ask you to drive and hold him. She sopunds very very very good.
I am so happy you have found a great trainer for you.
what a lill' video pretty please ^-^
phhotos? video?
She does Muriel, she does. She also told me to compete if I feel like it but "don't ride for what you think the judge wants to see" but for myself.
As far as holding him goes, she is insistent about rewarding as soon as he gives, by allowing him more rein. I even got to "carry" my hands today, ie hold them an inch or two higher and he responded really well to that.
I keep remembering bits to tell you!
Sorry, no photos or video, SH asleep in the lorry.
C
Good stuff! My trainer says hundreds of half halts a day is the secret to success. Yes, half halt almost to the full halt and then go on.
That was where Tucker first started to show some of his tummy issues. If Jazz was working that well, I'd suspect he's feeling pretty good.
I'd say from your description, you have one super dressage horse in the making. So great about the almost piaffe. That shows he was really working his hind end correctly.
What an uplifting post! (And such a happy contrast to the pics below. *G*)
Jean shortly after we started she said how well he was looking, presumably better in some way than two weeks ago.
About half way through we gave him a long rein and she also commented in a very upbeat way about how athletic he is.
I guess you wouldn't test a horse to see if he's going to take to piaffe unless you thought he was going to go pretty far, eh?
I just love the way she gets more activity by slowing things DOWN instead of driving forward. He has to stay in front of me, but most often my instruction was "make him wait".
I'm still remembering stuff and it helps to write it down.
C
Good to know that Jazz is behaving himself, but quite sorry that George might be going becuase I think he would really give you some fun doing cross country. When you have a young horse (or one like Jazz) it is such a relief to climb onto a horse that knows what the rider wants and you can just go for a pootle and enjoyable ride, rather than being on duty the whole time. Are you going to try jumping with Jazz again?
On the other hand, dressage becomes more and more fascinating the deeper you get into it and obviously Jazz has the attributes to be really good.
One point, what was it like hunting George with no shoes? Presumably as this is a trail hunt (I presume) you were on sofish ground all the time, not hurtling up and down the roads, which what it (was) like hunting around here.
Judith
Hunting with no shoes was fine Judith. We did plenty of stony paths and quite a bit of roadwork, but then he does those every time he hacks at home too. Nic Barker hunts Exmoor with a variety of shoeless horses and that is stony tracks galore. It's just a question of getting them used to it. Don't forget that my outdoor arena is surfaced with grit, so abrasion is no issue at all.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home