Jumping Jehosophat
One of the joys of training different horses is that you get new experiences. In over 30 horses I have never come across one quite like George before. He is so nervy and fearful of being hurt, and sensitive in the mouth, that you never would guess that he would actually PREFER the restrictions of a pelham with a chain curb. It's totally counter-intuitive to put such a harsh bit on him. But he seems to be reassured by being controlled, and not allowed to put himself in a position where he can unbalance himself. He's definitely relaxed by not having to take responsibility for himself, but told clearly what he can and can't do. And what a result!
I went out the the arena with George wearing his snaffle and SH carrying a pelham and spurs. I pointed him at a tiny cross pole and he attempted to run out, then stopped. I got off, put on the pelham and the spurs, and got back on. Of course then he did just what I expected, and told me he couldn't possibly jump with the restriction of a pelham. I just kept popping him over three fences a foot high, and sitting the resulting twists and leaps in the air, until he realised that I wasn't going to sock him in the teeth with it.
At that point, he was jumping, but without enthusiasm and with precious little technique. SH put the fence up to 2ft 6 - 2ft 8, and I asked for a placing pole, and that got George placing himself and much more confident. Thankyou Auntie Jean!
At that point, Georgie Porgie started to respond to the pelham brilliantly, and round up into a shape he has never given me before, never mind when jumping. I could shorten him to a bounce, and lengthen him to a stretch. We started stringing fences together in threes and fours and I have never known him jump so well or travel so rythmically and round and settled between the fences and round the corners. !!
We all knew he was a natural cross country horse, and thought that he would accept showjumping happily. Far from it. It turns out he is also a brilliant showjumper, with oodles more scope in him than anything we have tried him over yet. His technique over our final related distance felt more like Jazz than George :-)
Roll on our first event, I'm up for it now!! Meanwhile, we are off to a 1metre cross country on Sunday over an affiliated course, which I am going to do in the pelham. not because he needs it cross country, but because I think it will do him a lot of good to do it in the same bit as he showjumps in. I'm off to check my times!
C
ps I've just checked my time and guess what - we are competing against Casper, still with the girl that I sold him to, so that was a successful pairing nearly two years ago :-)

9 Comments:
Casper was nearly THREE years ago. Where does the time go to???
C
That is SO cool! I retrained an Appaloosa--not the prettiest critter--and eventually the owner sold him. About a year or so later, I competed against him and he beat me soundly. Guess I did too good a job. *G*
I hope Casper goes well. He is already a tribute to your skill and training.
As for George--may I give three more cheers? Glad the pole helped him get the concept. You're welcome.
I figured once he grasped HOW to do it, the rest would come quickly. Very interesting about the pelham. But it goes to show you never can tell what will work on which horse. Wise of you to consider it, and even better that is did the trick!
And George does continue to amaze with his talent. It's clear he was well underestimated early in his career.
Guess the pelham is not legal in dressage there either. Still, there is a chance the training will carry over into the snaffle on the flat.
I'm kicking myself I didn't think of trying the pelham earlier Jean, but I suppose it's not the most obvious bit to try on him. I think the learning will transfer to the dressage arena - the mouthpiece is identical on his snaffle, and he is usually much better at an event than at home.
C
are you allowed to use the pelham for the jumping phases of an event? i can't remember....
Yes, any bit, or no bit, as you like. You can even, believe it or not, warm up for the dressage in them - honest, it's in the rules. I used to warm Tetley up in a double bridle and do the test in a snaffle!
C
Seems crazy doesnt!Plus the unskilled riders are far more likely to do damage in a harsher bit on the XC course than in the dressage phase.
Oooh that will be interesting although things must have worked out well if he's still with them which shows what a good job you did with him!
They were a good match. I turned down caller after caller and wouldn't even let them come and see him because he needed someone who would laugh at his foibles, not cry. The trainer was also brilliant young woman who knew her stuff completely, which will have helped a lot. She's won an open there before, and we are only doing Intermediate, so she'll probably beat us!
C
What a good news about Casper!
I remembered you turning down people, until teh right one came along, and I remembered you praising the trainer .. ohh maybe it was for Tia .... :-P
Anyho, it was your care of finding the right person for your horse, that has inspired me for being uncompromising to find the right owner for Linda.
You set a good example.
It was both Muriel. Tia got less calls from people who couldn't cope with her because she was so thoroughbred, and nervice novices don't call about thoroughbreds. But I turned down the first people who wanted to buy her. They were going to keep her in a stables where she would go out, on her own, for only one hour a day. Also they were buying her because she would make them look good, not because they liked her just for herself. The people who have her were completely different.
With Casper, I got a lot of calls just because of his looks and told most of them he was unsuitable for them. I can remember saying to Lily's mother on the phone "if a pheasant flies up under his nose and he does a big spook, would Lily laugh or cry?". And the trainer saying to her "he's sharp and you are going to have to learn how to ride him and it will take some time, but he's a horse that you can grow into and who will suit you for a long time to come". Smart girl, and only 18 or 19 herself. Lily was 12 at the time, which was a bit of a shock, but she was very tall and a very good rider.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home