Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Ha GOTCHA !!

I wasn't going to ride George today because he did a lot of work yesterday. But I was consumed with curiosity about what he would do in a pelham, and of course I have to test it before jumping in one on Friday. It was SOOOOO interesting. I shortened up Jazz's hack/jump bridle by an inch each side and put it on. I tried it while on the floor and he didn't react badly, so I got on. He was resistant and hollow and jogging and generally not in a good mood. When he stuck his head into the air to evade it, I went and fetched a chain, because Jazz only has a curb made of stirrup leather. I also put on some spurs. THAT WORKED! The bit with a chain curb made it easy to stop him from setting, pulling, or sticking his head in the air. The spurs were needed from time to time to convince him to go forward. And he did probably the best walk work he has ever done. He even took a contact on the pelham which was nicer, more settled and firmer (but still giving) than he ever has on the snaffle. I think we'll be going and buying him a little present at the tack store tomorrow!!

Zippy next. The more I train him the more exceptional I realise he is. Today I realised that instead of cornering by doing two corners as half a 20m circle, as most 4 year olds would do, or even cornering by doing each corner as a quarter of a 10m circle as most 5 year olds would do, Zippy already goes right into the corner and takes a clear turn up the next side. Today I thought I'd try walk to canter. I put him into a nice round walk, put a canter aid on, turned out my toe and touched with my inside heel - held my breath for an explosion - and he raised his shoulders and stepped up into a canter. Both reins. How absolutely totally amazing. What a creature to have the privilege to be able to ride.

Jazz and I (yes, all three today :-) went for a hack. He was in a looky, spooky mood today. But it was absolutely NOTHING compared with twelve months ago. He stopped and stared at a wall that had been knocked down by a car, and had the clear marks of the tyres on the road and into the verge. He tried to go home, but I kept him facing it. He backed up a couple of times. He stood still for perhaps 30-60 seconds. Then walked past it with very little fuss. He's getting better and better.

What a good day.

C.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Bet George has been in a pelham or similar bit before. He was very accepting, it seems.

Zip is quite amazing for such a young fellow. But, as we've said before, generations of breeding certainly to make a difference. I'll say it again--he is going to be a star.

And Jazz the wonder horse continues to "wonder" and then just go on with business. *G*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home