Curate's Egg - good in parts
Mmmm. Not as good as we had hoped. First the good bits.
I was pleased with how he went in the lovely big space - an indoor arena 65 x35 metres , absolutely huge. I was especially pleased with his lengthened strides that he has struggled hard to master for me. After warming up, she described him as an eyecatching horse with 3 good paces. And she found very little to comment on in my riding - she said I had good hands, and pointed out a little less security in my right leg than my left. And she had me put my stirrups up one to keep my heel down more. OK so far.
Here come the buts.
There were jumps in one corner at A and a piece of decking for viewers in the other. For a reason that defeats me she chose to provoke Jazz by making us work at that end of the arena. It was totally counter-productive when there was so much space to do a "Jean's Kenny Harlow" and work him gradually closer to the bogiemen. He was perfectly happy in 80% of the school and since it was so huge we needn't have gone anywhere near it.
I don't know what she was trying to achieve but "inside leg into outside hand" doesn't work with a horse of his strength when he's turned himself inside out with fear of the poles and decking. We would have cured him much quicker by a)taking him away and working him back to it gradually b) using inside and outside hand to hold his head and neck to the line we wanted and pushing his body to follow.
I was not happy with her instructions to "polish the saddle" with my seat or to "shove him forward" or to "drive" with my seat. I prefer Heather Moffett's way of "asking" the horse to rise with me under my seat, not to drive him out in front of me by pushing at his back. I happily ignored those instructions and used my leg instead to gain more oomph.
I was very disappointed that she had no intention of getting on him. She got on my friend's horse in both her lessons. I did wonder if she didn't want to risk him making her look bad. By the time we finished it was pretty clear that she doesn't like him. She pretty much refused to answer when I asked her if she thought he was worth the effort of carrying on with him as a dressage horse. And as we walked out of the barn she said "it was nice to have met you, anyway" which sounded as though it was missing "but don't come back". She clearly has no interest in taking us on as a project.
I guess it was asking too much of an event rider not to write off a horse that won't jump. I could see her face close over as soon as I explained his fear of showjumps. I don't think it helped him, either, that he's Dutch and she's German. There is tremendous rivalry between the German and Dutch breeding. I don't think that she had any problem with me, just him, and I was very pleased with how little she found to comment on with my riding. It's so long since I've had a lesson I thought I'd got into all sorts of bad habits.
I'm going to have to try and find us a pure dressage trainer, who realises that at 6 he has a long way to go yet, and that horses like Bonfire and Dolendo were practically unrideable for several years before they got their acts together to win Grand Prix. It's a real shame because I think that she is a very good trainer for my friend, and I envy her being able to go to that wonderful place and learn with her.
SH and I both believe that Jazz has huge ability, and the dressage judge we competed with last said she would pick him to take home. So, on with the search to find a trainer who actually likes him, which I think will help.
C

12 Comments:
There are so many instructors out there, and many are good, but not for every horse or every rider or every combination.
You simply have to find an instructor who you trust to ask you to work your horse in a way you agree with, or is capable of explaining to you (and thereby reassure you) that what they are saying may go against your instinct of what you know of your horse, but is still valid.
I've had many good instructors but that didn't like my horse, or didn't understand how he ticked. The eureka came when I found someone who absolutely understood what would wind him up and what approach would get the results we were after. That guy is someone I still use now but for Vigo and he's a classical dressage instructor - far more Heather Moffett style than the "make him", "kick him", "bend him" brigade.
Oh dear...sounds like someone who doesn't really know their arse from their elbow as a teacher!
Jazz obvously has oodles of talent but no confidence and he could so easily be messed up. I think you are just going to have to play the waiting game till he matures enough not to be stressed over the wee things.
I imagine there is a fine line between saying 'don't be a silly bugger' & not blowing his mind.
I think event riders are tuned into the jumping far more than the flat work. If a horse doesn't jump, he's just not worth much to them.
Finding a good dressage trainer is the key. I have been so lucky finding one or two along the way who are willing to work through a horse's problems without any question. Lockie Richards was that way and so is Gabriel, my current trainer. Chris was a little less tolerant, but still could deal with Tuck's issues. I've ridden with others who either have no notion as to how to deal with a difficult horse or don't even want to deal with problems.
I am positive from all you have said and from reactions of judges that Jazz has super potential as a dressage horse. Can you contact the judge that liked him and ask if she knows any good trainers? How about the people at some of the farms where you have competed?
My heart aches a bit for you as I have been there and know how frustrating it can be when a trainer just does not appreciate either you or your horse.
And by the way, the only really good trainers are the ones that can take an average horse (which Jazz is not) or a below average horse (which Jazz definitely is not) and make it better. Anyone can take an uncomplicated talented horse and make it better. The masters know how to improve ANY horse.
Addition. I remember when I volunteered for the World Pairs Driving Championships and met some of the drivers. When I mentioned that Toby spooked, they just shook their heads. He was absolutely not a horse they had any interest in as for driving, the horse needs a reliable temperament. They and the big event riders just have to tolerance for cowardice, no matter how athletic the horse might be.
I must have been lucky with Ryan who's an eventer, although Polo has a good jump I dont so it was purely flatwork I need help with and he loved Polo.
As you know C ive had lessons with people who basically didnt like Polo and couldnt see past his complexities and quirks.
I think it was very telling she didnt want to get on if she usually does!
Keep looking there will be someone who can see what you see in Jazz and it will make all the difference.
It can be quite insulting when you know someone doesnt like your baby:)))))
Thanks chaps, all very helpful comments. The line is thnner than a hair Mandeigh!
I have quite a few options for pure dressage trainers near enough to travel to, Jean. I had high hopes of this one because she is a really good trainer for my friend, (who has a straightforward horse and obvious riding issues of her own to sort) - and the facilities are fantastic. I guess we're just going to have to settle for having some lessons out in the rain!
///They and the big event riders just have no tolerance for cowardice///
That was what went across her face Jean. I saw it.
Nicola he won't be sending her a Christmas card :-)
C
well,that clinic in lancashire a couple of times a year might be just what you need - can't get more classical, and it isn't THAT far from you! or jean's patrice, who's english .... based down south, thought, and i don't think comes north. OR get over the pennines to YRC (the bartles) or down to arrow ....
A couple of things.
I have to say that when you wrote that you were going to a GERMAN & competively active trainer for assessing Jazz dressage abilities, I had my doubt.
Because German and Dressage means very much what we see on the international scene : driving seat, hyperflexion, spurs, spurs etc ...
So I am not surprised she asked you to drive and push him. It was expected TBH.
Now it depends what you want to do with Jazz. If you want him to become a serious prospect in competition Dressage, he would have to been trained in MODERN dressage.
From what you write you are closer to the classical Dressage like HM.
If you train him that way, the judge won't know what to think. As HM RIGHTLY so wrote, if you train a horse to be light in the hand, the judge will say he is not on the bit ....
The trainer forcing Jazz to work in the spooky corner just shows her lack of horse-psychology. She clearly understood that Jazz was "no-common horse" and that he required some tactfull riding.
I guess she could not be bothered.
It is up to you to decide what you want to do. In the UK there are enough "classical trainer along the lines of HM to work with, but do not be surprised if Jazz is not judged correctly in competition Dressage.
On Dark Knight, yeah it is a sadistically dark film. No child of mine will see it until they're at least 16. There's not much overt 'bloody violence' but the Joker and his social experiments would give most kids nightmares. Being a cynic and having a love of social philosophy I really enjoyed the portrayals and especially the ferry scene, but I am a fan of Faustian satires.
Luckily Claire,there is a GP rider near enough for regular lessons, and I have seen the horses and people that she trains and they are all lovely light riders and lovely relaxed "undriven" horses. So I will try her next. I was going to go to her first, but that indoor arena was too seductive!
Takes pne to know one Jen???? :-)))
Muriel I am more concerned to have my horse dance than I am to win rosettes. I remember remarking in the blog about the National Championships and how tense and driven almost all the horses looked. And you are right - when she rode my friend's horse she was shoving her seat down into the saddle with what looked like some force. I don't want to ride like that.
C
Well, having sat on Jazz and being boinged higher and pingier than any horse I have ever sat on, I would say that he has HUGE athletic talent. Plus he is just a fun boy to be around :-)
I am no German dressage rider, but I have sat on a fair few horses, and nothing gave me the feel that Jazz did ;-)
That and the teaching style makes me think that you and SH are making the right choice, although I must admit George is probably the one I would take home if I were given the choice :-)
Me neither Nic, his huge movement and his huge personality are the two reasons that I stick with him.
George is a hunter through and through - your kind of horse for sure!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home