Thursday, June 12, 2008

George!!!

Dear me, George's turn to throw a paddy today! He still wouldn't go forward to the bit and I am tired of using a whip to make him. I spotted the other day that his shadow was crossing its jaw, so I went and got a strap to tie his mouth shut. Wow, what a bad tempered reaction! He stood rooted to the spot, then flung himself madly around in a complete temper. Once I had him calmed down, it was obvious why he was so mad - it worked!

He seemed unable to shrink back and set his back under me with his mouth tied shut. I don't intend to do it permanently, I really like my horses to be able to tell me that I am being too hard with their mouth, but for now it may be better than too much whip to drive him forward to the contact. I do, by the way, warm him up on little circles with lots of change of bend and a long rein and relaxed neck, but the moment you try to go for a straight line it all disappears and he will not stay out on the end of the rein, so half halt fails and so do turn aids.

His canter transitions with the flash strap on had to be seen and felt to be believed - I don't think I've ever sat on anything that threw itself around quite so much :-000 But again, once he realised I had control, we got some half decent ones, and the canter itself is astonishingly good on the right rein and has great promise on the left. It's balanced and lifted and round and very light in the hand.

Jazz was a sweetie. We went out for a hack and he just seemed to be enjoying the sheer physicality of himself as he powered his way up an enormous hill. That's the joy of him really, the way he delights in his own power and ability. You can't help but share his enthusiasm :-)

C

7 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Claire said...

and people wonder why people use straps - sometimes you do just need to

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Temper, temper. Seems George has his "dark side" after all. Always a bit of a surprise when you find out what a horse will do when he is deprived of his favorite evasion.

I agree about not keeping his mouth tied shut. So many people ride with tight flashes, etc. I use a regular noseband, and it's not fastened too tightly.

When Kenny teaches horses to yield to the bit, he uses bridles with no noseband at all. Well trained western horses that soften beautifully to the bit rarely have nosebands.

One has to wonder if somewhere along the way dressage training has taken a wrong turn. Hopefully, George will soon give up and not need the added straps.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Whoops...I agree you need to tie George's mouth now. I also agree that you do not want to have to do it long term....somehow my post didn't quite sound that way.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew what you meant Jean :-)

I have no intention of keeping his mouth shut permanently, just until he understands the way it is easiest for him to work.

I absolutely loathe seeing horses with nosebands so tight they are pinching their noses, and I see them all the time. I'd never use a flash so tight that a horse can't open it's teeth - I always think - how on earth would I like it?

I think I know what you are saying Claire, but I'd bet that at least 90% of the horses that I see with their mouths tied shut don't need it at all if they were ridden well.

Wish me luck we are off at 07.30 tomorrow!

C

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Claire said...

um - it's just that so many people say don't do that at all, when there can be a need to do so - it may well be they say so because they've seen horses with it all too tightly strapped down!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Good luck tomorrow!:)

I know what you mean Jo has a drop noseband on her old boy and its so tight it makes me cringe.
AliG has a flash,thats what he was ridden in at Rach,I took it off for a while but he was occasionally flapping his tongue over the bit so Ive put it back on for now.Its on pretty slack and he can still eat with it on..suprise suprise:)))

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I couldn't believe it when the pro groom who was donig my friend's horse yanked the flash noseband up so tight that you could clearly see that it actually stopped his airways fully opening - and he was just about to run cross country!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home