Thursday, May 01, 2008

Countdown

More showjump training with George, our last before we compete. He's growing longer and deeper roots into the Trayes camp. It sure is going to be difficult to part with the little fellow at this rate.

We warmed up enthusiastically and then he popped around a course at three foot one. He got faster as he went, jumped a big spread and landed unbalanced. The saddle slipped and upset him. I just about kept things together and shoved my weight into one stirrup to get the saddle back straight, came round a corner and jumped another big spread. He just could not get balanced for the upright which followed five strides away, and put in a stop. But bless his three little cotton socks, he stuck his neck up and kept me in the plate. Not his fault in any way, just inexperience.

I did the round again. Perfect this time because I concentrated on bringing him back to trot between fences and maintaining his balance. We practised a one-stride double and got it spot on. So again, twenty minutes gone and all objectives achieved. And he just makes me grin the whole time he is jumping :-)

He had retained every bit of our improved flatwork. His neck flexion was a delight, he responded to every half halt. His left rein canter strike off is still a desperate lunge forwards, but the canter itself is hugely improved and he can now hold a 20m circle even if I release the reins. Have I told you he does a natural flying change? He prefers to strike on the right foreleg, but quickly changes to the left. He's done that a number of times now.

If his training carries through into competition next week, then he is going to be as much fun to event as Tetley ever was. He has the same attitude exactly. Today I dropped the rope as an experiment and he got into the lorry without me :-)! Tetley does that too, Mary Lou said he nearly got into someone's lorry the other day when it was parked in the yard. You just can't help but have fun with a horse that really wants to go places!

I got the sign off-yesterday from hospital. The scan showed that I had not only broken my shoulder blade, but the third rib down as well :-0 All fixed now though. And thanks to dear, sweet, joyful George we have missed only three events, one of which was cancelled anyway and the other two ran in snow, rain and bitter cold winds with dreadful conditions underfoot.

Spring is now arriving, warmer weather forecast for the weekend, first event on Wednesday - Thunderbirds are go!

C

8 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

It's all I can do to keep Tetley off of one when the ramp is down!

How fun and rewarding George is. It's always the best when it feels like they are having fun too.

ML

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Saddle slip is a worry, but the rest is a gem. Love a horse that wants to load and go somewhere. My guys are good because they are trained to load, so I can't tell if they really want to go.

George surely is working his magic on you. He is a very special horse. I hope you are even more excited about the event than I am because I can hardly wait to hear the story of the day. Glad the weather is cooperating.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Saddle slip is a worry"

Not if you forgot to do your girth up before you jumped :-)

I agree with you, there is something very special about George. It's that infectious enthusiasm for what life might throw at them. I've only known two horses with it, Tetley and him.

I'm glad he's still up to his old tricks ML. I'm sure he'd have driven himself to events if he could.

C

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Muriel said...

Well he is a keeper ... you might have to let Jazz go to a Dressage-y home.
You will still have Zip fo rgiving you the Warmbloody sensations ^-^

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

///Not if you forgot to do your girth up before you jumped :-)///
Gawd that sounds familiar im renouned for it!:0

Bless him he sounds like an absolutely gem dont know how you can think to part with him ..you wana swop?:))
There's a thread on EE about Karen O'Conner(I think that who it is).She's eventing a 14'1" pony and clearing up!Now you can NOT argue George isnt the part if a pony is successfully eventing at that level.Its all down to attitude and George clearly knows he's the real deal!:))))

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Nicola he's the real deal all right. Probably limited to around 4ft jumping wise but that's beyond my limit!!

He may ahve to stay Muriel, I'm not ruling anything out yet. SH thinks he's great!

C.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Bet Superhubby does ...he's knows George is looking after you!
Cant wait for your 1st event so excited for you both:)

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

That's exactly right Nicola, he knows he won't hurt me!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home