Decisions decisions.
I've been struggling to work out what to do. I want to jump Jazz, but I don't want to event and not complete the cross country (which for me is most of the point!). George is 100% for that (more later!) but he isn't the kind of horse I meant to be riding - a little black cob :-)! And then, I don't want to ruin Jazz by trying to restart too early, before my own confidence is completely restored, because he is so sensitive that I will just ruin his confidence if I have any doubts. On top of that, I don't want to compromise George's preparation for the season. How complicated things can get :-) !
Anyway, I decided that with Rodbaston two weeks away, George needed to go cross country schooling today to show him all the fence types that he hadn't seen yet.
I've run out of superlatives about George, so the plain straightforward description of how he reacted will have to speak for itself.
Ditches - "a ditch is just a step over, isn't it?"
Sharks teeth - "just another timber fence"
Steps down and up - "ooh, this is odd but let's try anyway"
Flower bed (no flowers) - "is this a bank, I'll step on it and see. No? Not what you wanted? OK, bring me in again and I can jump it for you."
Coffin - "what's the problem supposed to be?"
Tiger trap, ditch under - "what ditch?"
Water - "ooh no, can't get my feet wet. Oh, all right then."
Pheasant feeder - "oh look it's got two sides, how nice!"
A bench - "more timber, that's OK."
Fence with a roof - "oh no, I don't like those shadows. OK, let's try it again - whoops, here we go!"
Parallel telegraph poles - "let me at it!"
He was wonderful, fanstastic, marvellous. Inexperienced, tentative at times, but SO game.
So finally, I felt so confident that I took him to ...................... the pallisade with the deep ditch in front that Jazz fell over seven weeks ago tomorrow. I almost begged him to run out the first time, so he obliged :-) The second time, I stared at the horizon beyond the fence and he popped it so sweetly I wanted to hug him. I even went back and did it again. This time I begged him to run out again, and he swung slightly to face the highest bit and then I heard him say to himself - "huh? It would be easier just to jump this than go round it so that's what I'll do." How on earth could I have conquered that fence if I hadn't found George?
He had been trying the whole time to head for fences so that he could jump them. "This one? No? OK, what about this one?" And he was desperate to be allowed a gallop. So after having been so brilliant what else could I do? I let him go. I was a bit concerned about whether we'd be able to stop, because he had set on the bit a couple of times, but I figured I had sixty acres in which to turn and I might just about manage it.
Coooooeeeeee he is FAST! Really, seriously fast. Never mind "fast for a cobby horse", he is fast for ANY horse. And I did have trouble stopping, but who cares. He certainly didn't and neither did I.
So the upshot is that it will be the most tremendous lost opportunity not to get George up to Pre-Novice. Although he's "not my kind of horse" he's obviously going to be so much FUN. And I have realised that there are plenty of local, well-judged combined training (dressage and showjumping) competitions running this summer at another local venue with great facilities. Wouldn't it just be SO sensible to start Jazz at those, where the poles fall, and wait until he does that confidently before trying anything more complex? I begin to feel like we are headed for a fun summer!
C
ps I schooled Jazz before we went because he seemed to be begging to do some work for me (as is Zip!). And we finally have a spring day. Windy but beautifully sunny and not tooooo cold. George has been rewarded by going out without a rug so he can scrub himself from head to foot in the dirt.

19 Comments:
Way to go, Georgie Boy!!! How fantastic of him to be so brave about all the new things. A horse like him is a definite confidence restorer.
Brave of you to go at that pallisade. I can only imagine how your heart was in your throat. Yet you did and George did and the runout was just what you needed. Then the "sweet" jump. Perfect.
You need to be riding the horse that does the job. The top US International eventer is a pony, so what's wrong with a willing, capable, and totally FUN cob?! He suits you, he suits the job, and he seems to love it. (The jump descriptions are really cute. I can almost picture him handling each challenge. But wet feet??? What's that all about with Mr. Mudlover?)
Combined tests sound to be the perfect venue for Jazz. He needs the confidence in himself and you need the confidence in him to be rebuilt. The experience will be good for him and we already know he will star in the dressage.
You've had a great day! So happy for you. It's my birthday present to hear such good news.
I was an Arab person before I got a donkey ... it's what does the job for you at the time of asking that is the right horse -or equine - for you.
Michaela
Never has the phrase "Handsome is as handsome does" been more apposite :-)
Who cares what he looks like - he does the job and does it quick and neat and safe :-)
A racehorse trainer local to us has said to me "He is surpisingly fast, isn't he?" about Felix, before now, as we overtook his racehorses in the field... I have also loaned my little brown pocket rocket out to 3 different people this season, all of whom were hunting up at the front over hill and dale all day, and all of whom thought he was brilliant :-)
Handsome is as handsome does - some of 'em are just worth their weight in gold :-)
looks like George is the horse for this year and the distraction you needed from feeling that you had to accomplish everything at once on the immature WB!
PS: Spring down here too...Yippee :-)
PPS: Gotta love Jazz, because he is just such a mover, and unlike George obviously "gets" flatwork ;-) ... square pegs and square holes - both perfect in their own way :-)
sounds like a plan, caroline!
What a fantastic find George has been. You do know it's ~supposed~ to be fun don't you? LOL. Cloud_Cirrus
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yes the wet feet was a surprise Jean. He really took some persuading - he fiddled around for a minute or more but then just strode in happily. Happy Birthday!
You're right of course Michaela. I just never thought I'd end up eventing on a stocky cob with a roman nose!
I think George deserves the compliment of being called "Another Felix" Nic! These Irish boys, eh? But Jazz would have gone a year ago if it wasn't for "that movement". He is so addictive to ride.
It'll give Jazz a chance to grow up some more, won't it Mandeigh?
Actually feels like the "right" plan too Claire, for once!
Tracey? I'm just prejudiced. It never occurred to me just how much fun a horse like George could be! My little pony :-)
C
Well if he's that game and such fun it does it really matter what he looks like!!
Honestly Jazz 'may' never make the grade jumping wise there is no guarantee he'll ever have the confidence and mindset.He may look the part but is sounds like George IS the part:)
And he doesnt look like a little stocky cob pony in his pics!:)))
Yes that is true C.
George does NOT look like a cob poney with hsi beautiful black coat.
Honestly! It is only because you have two playboy in your field that you find under class.
But I agree with Nic "Handsome is as handsome does"
I also start to belive that what is good comes cheap ...
Brilliant news all round - especially because you got the 'bogey' jump out of the way. I think this summer is going to be a lot of fun for you!
I've started a blog of my own - please email me if you would like an invite abcx680 @ city.ac.uk (obviously take the spaces out!!)
Louise
definately takes the pressure off....cos I know what you are like!!
;-)
I love it, George IS the horse you're meant to be riding, its plain to all of us reading your blog :o) I should be riding a George too, but I have one of the more tricky variety of course. I'm rubbish at selling horses so I won't be getting a George any time soon, but you're great at selling them, so hold that thought and enjoy doing what you love on whizzy George, who'll make the time on the course just fine it seems.
Tracey B
True Nicola, he does photograph well, and I must say that in the flesh he looks quite something under saddle too. It's only up close you realise what a chunky little chap he is.
Muriel I can't help but agree. Jazz was nearly £7000 and he is outshone by a £1500 chance purchase :-$
Welcome to the club Louise - why don't you just post the blog address? I can add it to my buttons.
Soul of patience, me Mandeigh, absolute shining example of patience personified :-)
Tracey I think the only time faults we'll be risking is for too fast (and they don't start until you reach Novice speed, even in an Intro!)
I've been working today so didn't do horses. It's a gorgeous evening so they'll be out again tonight.
C
Re my blog - the only way security wise I can get away with it is by keeping invite only...if someone from the stables came across I would probably be shot! I could give you the address but it probably wouldn't help!!
Ah right, I'll email you then!
C
Great news about George. As (?) Ian Stark said, the most important attribute for an event horse is the desire to jump a fence.
He isn't really a cob is he? I didn't think he looked all that cob-like in the pictures - well maybe he is compared to Jazz, but as you said, HE is a Mercedes.
Judith
No he just seems that way to me! He has an incredibly wide body, but his legs are more on the lightweight side and his neck is far longer than a cob's. On the other hand if it continues to put on topline like it is at the moment, it'll be a cob neck soon! Being black, he is a very eyecatching fellow, I have to admit. And he doesn't really have a Roman nose, just a bump over his nostrils.
A Rangerover Sport, maybe???
C
Post a Comment
<< Home