Does my bum look big in this?
Yes it does!
Both Zip and Jazz have suddenly gone bum high. Interestingly, Zip has done it with what looks like a pretty impressive increase in the length of his hind leg. Both his parents are 16.3 and I would put him on target to match their height by the time he is four, and probably end around 17 hands. He's going to be a stunner of a 17 hander with his elegance.
Jazz has also got a fat ar&e! He's definitely growing. It won't help his balance and I'll try not to expect too much of him until he comes level again.
Now I have a bone to pick with you all. You told me that these warmbloods were immature mentally. Now, when you told me that, why didn't you scream it so loud that I couldn't ignore it??? Huh? Huh? Answer me that one!
Anyway, we took the toddler with the temper tantrums showjump training. He made it clear that he was bored to be where he was and slouched out to the arena as slow as he could go. He warmed up trying to swing right and jump the highest part of the cross pole. I put that right with improved steering, got him motivated and jumped two sets of four fences absolutely perfectly.
At this point, Superhubby and I were beaming and congratulating ourselves on what a fabulous job we had done. He had been bouncing around with a perfect take off point every time, jumping the course at three feet high. Yes, we snuck in another inch and he never even noticed.
Then, all of a sudden, bolt out of the blue, he worked out what I had been doing to keep him hopping along like a giant orange spacehopper (doesn't THAT image work if you've actually met Jazz!) . So he stopped. He simply put himself in an arrangement where I couldn't get it. Then I could get the bounce, but only if we were going at a speed where he found it a piece of cake to avoid actually jumping the fence, by stopping (or simply dropping flat) miles away from it.
He finished up refusing to move, then rearing several times and punching the air in anger at not getting his own way. Superhubby said "he looks bored. He looks like a two year old who is bored with the old game and wants to go and play a new one." Superhubby also got the solution - send him on, quite fast, over all the uprights, leaving plenty of room between them and getting him really moving. I did that.
Then I went back to bouncing, and completed a fantastic set of jumps, with spot on take-offs and perfect bascules. We stopped then of course!
What a pain he is - no sooner do we teach him the job and he gets to be able to do it easily adn confidently, than he comes up with another objection "I'm bored with this". Obviously we are going to have to find other places to go and things to do until he grows up.
C.
ps I have cancelled from Eland on the 8th. The Court has begged me to sit on a three day trial that they are short of a JP for, and by mistake I agreed and now don't feel I can let them down. I don't feel, somehow, that we will be missing much! I have also decided to do Barefoot Camp on September 8th/9th so our next affiliated outing won't be until mid September. There's some Riding Club stuff meanwhile to keep us interested.

6 Comments:
Well, at least your boys don't have to wear breeches with those bums! Unlike some of us. *G*
Three cheers for Superhubby. Always there with a good suggestion for Bratboy. Look, I've only "heard" that warmbloods are slow to mature, I've never had one before.
Ugh. Jazz's tantrum sounds an awful lot like Tucker with the rearing. Fortunately, Tucker "punches" with his feet on the ground and then rears less dramatically. This too in a very obvious refusal to go forward.
My trainer suggests that leg yeilds at the point of disobedience will keep him from going up and also keep him more forward as the displacement of the hind leg will keep him moving. Well, it works in theory if I am fast enough to do it before the protest starts.
As for the boredom...I feel for you. Again, it's one of those things I run into. I just keep mixing it up when I ride without too much repetition. It's harder when you are jumping a course of fences, but perhaps you could mix up the approaches, angles, and order of the fences so he never quite knows where he is going.
My friend has a big warmblood who is very well mannered, but he goes on autopilot. He'll just truck around with her getting heavy as he stays in one gait or another. Patrice Edwards had her really working him to keep his focus on her by changing things every few strides. Make a circle, leg yield, stop, rein back, trot off, canter, trot...etc. The whole goal was to keep his mind so occupied he didn't have time to go into remote control.
When Tucker was naughty at the last lesson--too wired--my trainer had the same approach. This to get him to focus on me instead of "his world" as well.
I makes for an interesting kind of schooling as you don't ever work on an exercise a lot to perfect it, but at the same time, you get a lot of "stuff" done. Maybe that approach would work Jazz's brain so he can't figure out exactly what technique you are using in order to evade it.
I think I'm going to have to use your "quick changes" suggestions Jean. I think I also misjudged Jazz. I thought he was not very clever. Now I think that he may actually be VERY clever, but have an extremely low emotional IQ. It fits with what's happending now and also with all his previous behaviour.
We have a showjump competition at 2ft 9 on Sunday, so it will be interesting to see what a change of venue and some lower jumps do for his attitude.
Thanks for the tips.
C
you can sit in court being pleased you aren't out in the rain, i expect, the way this summer is (i know, murphy will call me wrong...)
Yes, lots of change and making it fun like you're a kid again too. I did say he was just a baby.
Your SH seems to have just the perfect way of reading your horse's emotional state of mind, each time he innocently says what he sees, you follow his advice = it works. He must read their expressions so well as to whether they're being naughty, or afraid, or unsure, or something else. Amazing. Pat on the back for SH.
Tracey B
Claire I got my confirmation of my entry today and it was actually on the Thursday, when Intro wasn't supposed to be running! I could have done it after all - but I believe in "menat to be's" so I shan't try to reinstate. He's not ready mentally, and that's just the way it is.
Judith Superhubby is a systems man - he studies things as if they are mechanical/electrical/ electronic systems out of balance and works out what would out them back in balance again. It makes him a fantastic trainer even though he doesn't ride. He's just starting on dressage too now, so soon I'll have an all-round onsite trainer :-)
And I had my hearing aids out when you said he was a baby :-))))
Post a Comment
<< Home