Post script
I have had a long chat with Superhubby about Jazz. He, of course, sees what is on his face when we are jumping and I don't. He tells me that he looks puzzled and confused when we jump more than 2ft 9, but he seems to be OK with 2 ft 11 in a showjumping arena over fences he's already done once at 2ft 9. He says that he is nothing like Jack, who simply used to look malevolent a lot of the time and who never agreed to do flatwork consistently either, whereas Jazz does that happily until he gets tired. He said that my second round yesterday looked much more fluent than my description of how it felt - he couldn't see anything wrong with most of it. He's convinced that it's just a matter of time and experience before Jazz learns that jumping is actually fun.
In fact, we came to the conclusion that if Jazz was a six-pack, we had no coke at all when we started. And that over the last 8 months we have got hold of six tins and filled them one by one with coke (we're not sure yet if it's diet or full-fat; cherry, vanilla or classic). We've got all the bits in place, and all we are missing now is that little plasticky thingy that holds the six of them together before we have a completed article to stack on the shelf :-)
In other words, SH is convinced that any time now the penny will drop and Jazz will put all his learning together and be ready to do some sensible jumping competitions. He thinks it could be months, but seems equally sure that it won't be years.
I hope he's right. He was wrong about Tia (he didn't want me to buy her and she turned out a diamond pony) and he wasn't convinced that Tetley was as talented as I thought he was, but he's been pretty much spot on with his analysis of my horses for the last few years. So let's hope he's got it right this time.
Meanwhile, although my own mental state could have benefitted from a bit of eventing this summer, I'm focussing on Jazz's plusses, which are:
- he has picked the summer of summers to be missing events. Most of them have been rained off anyway!
- he is progressing every week, just much slower than I would have wished for and much slower than I have experienced before. But he does learn, and the learning sticks now from one lesson to the next.
- he is a truly fantastic athlete with superb biomechanical effectiveness.
- he turns heads everywhere we go as soon as he moves.
- he has such a gorgeous character that you can't help loving him anyway.
Anyone who knows where I can get hold of that last little bit of plastic to hold all his bits together let me know :-)
C

6 Comments:
I'll say it again. Grids. Little plastic grids with all kinds of variables. If he likes doing them, that will be fun and he can then learn to enjoy jumping.
I am glad Allan thinks Jazz is on the right track. He is a good observer of what's actually going on.
With so many events canceled because of the weather, you should just sit back and relax, instead trying to enjoy the training process and trying to make it fun for everyone. I know it's now what you had planned, but sometimes fate's intervention creates a better scenario than our plans.
Right now, my vet tells me to just let Chance alone until the middle of August. It takes a lot of the pressure off of feeling obligated to train him. This way, I can concentrate on Tucker and getting Toby fit enough to give lessons to less experienced riders. (As you know, riding three horses can sometimes be really trying when you are doing all the work yourself.)
By my standards of training jumping horses, Jazz is doing remarkably well. I know many riders who event, etc. move horses along much faster, but my philosophy is always to get all the basics really solid before tackling real world courses.
Lucky you to have SH as a support team.
Oh Caroline ! a Warmplod !!!! How dare you ! ;-)
Remember your NLP course ... if you think as Jazz as Warmplod, he will become one.
He is your first warmblood, so you are missing the usual bearing/references, you have when training horses.
Just enjoy the experience in a curious state of mind, b/c it is all NEW.
You always hurt my feeling when you are calling warmblood dull or slow or dumb.
They are my favorite breed with QH. IMO, they are far more intelligent that an easily-excited-panicky-adrenaline pumping TB, who never uses his brain to think.
Be patient with Warmblood, they are slow to grow up .... Maybe it is better with their powerfull physic, it is good their brain does not grow as fast as their body, or NOBODY could train them :-O
Patience, you are a sensitive, and sensible trainer. I am sure jazz will become a very good horse.
Hi, As an owner of a warmblood I honestly think they develop about 2 years slower than TBs. He's still a baby Caroline, keep him doing more of the things he's confident with and praise him loads. I bought mine at 6 years and she felt like she'd just been backed, despite having hunted in Ireland the year before! It'll come, but it will take time, the question is can you wait?
Cheers
Tracey B
Jean, I am enjoying training him very much. It was a bad week for me this week, I was more disturbed by my weekend with my family than I realised. That tainted Wednesday badly for me. I'm almost back on an even keel now though.
I'm glad that there is a bonus in resting Chance - I know what you mean about having three, I am happy to only have the two.
Ah, Muriel I think I'm being realistic :-) He's definitely slow to learn - I can push him to jump a fence that he doesn't believe he can jump. Then we come round to do it again and he STILL doesn't believe he can jump it, even though he already has! That's slow in my book :-))))) He is lovely though, absolutely lovely.
I'm sure you are right, if he had the sharp brain of a TB then he would have been totally unmanageable because of his strength and agility.
Ha ha, Tracey the 64,000$ question :-)))) Yes, I can wait, he is glorious. I saw a friend ride him today and he was just absolutely glorious. I lose sight of how magnificent he is when I am on his back instead. I am with you on the 2 years behind a TB, that's where I would put him too.
I do agree with you all, this is a fascinating experience for me. It's really fun to find something new in horses that is challenging me to find new ways to solve problems.
C
Blooming good for you then, I think mine was worth waiting for. Occasional "time outs" from training were necessary a few times as well - just hacking for 6 weeks or so to let their brains chill.
Tracey B
I did that with an ID/RB I had once because I thought he just needed a total break from being told what to do. It seemed to be the right thing.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home