Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sleepyhead

Jazz seems to be pretty relaxed about Zip's absence. He was well down the field this morning and he didn't come running in when he was called like I thought he might. I went out to fetch him with a bucket of food and he meandered up to meet me in a totally nonchalant fashion. We went out for a walk to stretch his muscles after yesterday's exertions and he was excellent. No problems at all. Just a nice calm ride. He even offered to go further when we reached our turning point, instead of trying to head home. By mistake, I had the pelham on the roundings and not just on the curb and I didn't even notice until we were home again. On top of that, I also forgot to put a chain on the curb, and the leather strap that I have as a curb for jumping is so loose that it hardly connects until you are yanking full force on the bit. He is definitely growing up.

When I came home an hour or so ago after a trip into town he was sound asleep in one of the stables. When he woke up he just about managed to blink and say hello, but he certainly wasn't desperate to see me. So I don't think that I need to borrow a companion for him. Not as things are at the moment, anyhow.

The more I think about how it went when I dropped off Zippy at his Approved School yesterday, the more certain I am that I have done the right thing. Meanwhile, though, I am now thoroughly bored and will be faced with ironing Allan's shirts for something to do. Horrors :-0!

C

11 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Interesting that Jazz should be so calm by himself. He must have a secure personality to feel confident on his own.

Don't make any assumptions about that bit, though. Until you are positively sure all the nonsense is over, having that chain and correct rein configuration is still an essential. All you need to do is make one mistake....

Still, it does seem Jazz is growing up more and more with each experience. It shows a really good character in a horse to settle down as well as he is.

As for the Zip...can't wait to hear how it goes.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Jean just be aware that Jazz could become unsettled some horses dont really show they are stressed until it comes to boiling point. Its good he is settled on his own but coming from an owner of a horse with separation issues that we have lived with for over eight years its not easy I would nip up the road for a little pal sooner rather than later.

Zip had no chance to settle in then straight into work. Strike whilst the iron is hot lol

Anne

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nnooooooo!!!! Life's too short to waste it ironing! Must be something else you can do?!!
Glad Jazz seems OK without his friend. Look forward to hearing more about Zippy's boarding school adventures.
Liz

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Claire said...

ironing - i never do it at all.... hang em up so they'll dry creaseless on the line, perfect....

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day with no challenges and you are bored! What a character you are! I bet Tetley misses your sense of adventure and need for challenge.

Things will liven up when Zip comes back. I hope you get a full, day by day report on what goes on with Zip.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

///One day with no challenges and you are bored! What a character you are! I bet Tetley misses your sense of adventure and need for challenge.

And I'll bet he appreciates your calm acceptance of what he offers you :-)

Jean yes it's strange that Jazz is so calm. Anne, I think that it is genuine and not just "shut down" behaviour, but I'll watch out.

Claire I only iron Allan's work shirts, nothing else in this house gets ironed!

Liz, yup you'll be proud of me, I didn't do the ironing, I went and blagged a few mugs of tea off a friend instead :-)

No news on Zip. I could have rung but I don't want to bother Jonathan so early. I'll go and see him on Monday.

C

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is this 'ironing' thing you speak of?????

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apart from confidence, there is another reading of Jazz's personality which I think may be the full one. If you remember how he attacked Tetley when he came home, you could read Jazz's current state as a horse that feels threatened by other horses and likes to be left in peace. It would also explain why, when he was at Ran Arbel's, he jumped out of his field even though there was a horse in with him. Once into a field with no-one in it and once back to his stable. He likes his peace and quiet!

Mandeigh. Ironing is something which you do while your partner is crawling around under lorries, or after he has been holding sweaty horses, in order that he can look as if he knows what he's doing when he goes to a meeting to earn the money to pay for your wayward offspring to go to boarding school. Got it?

C

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandeigh, ironing is a curious sort of displacement activity that people with nothing to do often resort to in order to convince themselves that they are frightfully busy. The ironing in moderation that Caroline refers to is not too psychologically dangerous or addictive, but people have been known to waste large portions of their lives ironing socks, knickers, towels – in fact pretty well anything that doesn’t move.
Liz

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

So true Liz! A woman of my own heart. Ironing socks! What is that about????

:-)

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I am emotionally ready for ironing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home