Who? ME? Butter wouldn't melt ......
Jazz did not get the day off today. Actually, he didn't look tired, but it was such a lovely day again that he was going out for a walk whether he was tired or not. It was VERY successful. Every time he took a step that I though was even remotely suspicious of being hesitant, I flicked him with the whip. He doesn't resent this, he just picks up the pace again. As a result, we got all the way to the triangle and back (35 minutes) with no attempt to turn round and go home at all. We passed several vehicles too. Not only that but he was SO comfortable and solid and secure to ride, that I love him all over again!!
I will continue to put him in situations where he must leave other horses until he gets over his fear/stroppiness (?). I have to say that he does not look or feel afraid at the time, just totally wilful. "I want to be back with them", rather than "I'm desperate not to be on my own". When made to carry on, he doesn't appear to have any worries about doing so, it just seems as though he has to have the argument first. We'll get through it, though I must admit that just now I have a vision of a red horse standing in the cross country start box simply refusing to leave it :-)!!
Zippy is doing so well. I now have him totally unconcerned about me lying over his back from both sides. He is loose in the stable and he couldn't give a damn. He walked backwards three steps and forward again this morning and still didn't react to me hanging there! I do feel his back sink though, and I think he finds my weight quite a lot to carry, so I'll limit it to seconds at a time until he's bigger and stronger.
Tia did so well this morning. She has cantered a complete circuit of the barn, including two bends, once on each leg. This is another first in the space of a couple of weeks. Remember the barn is ony 10 metres wide and 27 metres long, and this is a heck of a feat for any horse, never mind one that struggled as much as she did to keep her balance in the canter. She's improving constantly, the little sweetheart.
Snow is forecast for later in the week, so we are hoping to take Jazz showjump training tomorrow. The idea is to get him so interested and excited about jumping that he will forget the worry of leaving the collecting ring. Will it work? Who knows?!?!?!?
C

2 Comments:
Noted your comment the other day about perhaps keeping Tia. She could be your "Chance," kind of the just relax and have a good time horse. I know it's not your style, but I can tell you, it is nice to have one you can just get on a go--without any worries. What a good girl she is to manage a canter inside like that.
As for Zip, good work. You have plenty of time, so no rush. And, you certainly don't want to take any chances of hurting his back.
On to the Jazz man. He is one willful horse. Sounds to me like a "man's horse," meaning that he relates better to strength and strong will from his rider rather than gentle persuasion. It is funny that he is so cuddly on the ground and so strong minded under saddle. Does he realize that's it's you up there? *G*
The ride sounds like major progress and going out as much as you can is good too. He does need to realize that doing "stuff" is fun and all the nonsense of resisting just gets in the way.
At least he goes when you absolutely insist and doesn't throw a tantrum about the whip. That's a very good thing! Keep at it. I can't believe he won't surrender eventually.
"man's horse" is certainly a thought that comes into my head about him quite often Jean. I loved the rest of your comment, all absolutely spot on.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home