Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Round one: Mummy 1, Jazz 0

There was a fair wind blowing but it wasnt raining today so guess where Jazz and I went? You clever bloggers, how did you know? Back to the bridge, correct!

We had two reins on and a metal curb chain on the pelham. We got almost to the really bad place without any very serious resistances. Then it started, about a 1/4 mile away from the bridge. He turned once and ran. I dropped the main reins, grabbed the curb and hauled/released/hauled/realeased as hard as I could. He was desperate to get away from me, tossing his head in the air, but he failed.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I buckled the main reins to the saddle D and rode on the curb alone. And then the battle of wills started. I wouldn't let him turn. He wouldn't go forwards. There was precious little going on in the way of action, but honestly, the air was crackling with the energy forces charging around us as we were each determined to have our own way.

He tried to turn. He backed up. I wouldn't allow any of it. I flicked him from time to time with the whip. Nothing regular because he screens it out. Nothing violent because he turns defiant and says "hit me all you like!". Finally, he took a step forward and I praised him.

Then the battle of wills started again. Just as I was beginning to doubt whether I could win, he walked forwards. All the way down the hill, round the bend and over the bridge. He moaned, he groaned, he jogged, but he didn't nap again. We walked backwards and forwards over it a couple of times, and then went home.

Feeling rather pleased with myself, I took Zippy into the barn with his bridle on to do a bit of separation training. He's much better than he used to be. I even got him to stand still while I leant over his back (no saddle on, so I didn't take my feet away from the step, I would just have slid off :-) He does turn on the forehand, turn on the haunches, backs up and stops nicely when being led. He is very sharp and very reactive. When I went to see him I was afraid he might be a bit quiet but he's anything but that.

On the up, I rode Tia too. I tried the Jeffries/Mylerlike bit on her and it worked really well. She was lazy to start with and then typically overreacted to being chivvied up a bit. But we got a balance in the end by doing lots of tiny circles to bring her hocks underneath her. We finished on one walk to canter (yes, she's getting it :-) on each rein and they are all out now in what is feeling very, very much like spring weather.

I'm off for lunch now, still feeling good about winning my battle with Jazz. It was so important, absolutely critical to our future together.

C.

4 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I like the score!!! G-o-o-o-o-o-oal!

Jazz sounds so much like Tucker...until we get to the whip part. T's response might be to rear, kick out, or buck. If I could drive him forward with it, life would be good. But, oh, that stop and stand there, refuse to turn, back up stuff is all too familiar. Bless your heart for riding through it. (But as you said, no buck.)

Interesting that Jazz doesn't curl up to the curb rein. Just be on guard that he doesn't discover that evasion. Tuck can drop behind the bit really fast, but so far, he doesn't bolt off...he shuts off. It's more frustrating but not as scary as one that overbends and takes off, racehorse style.

Zip sounds as if he is going to be more of a "Thoroughbred" train. Quick, keen and smart. An interesting contrast to hardheaded, subborn and strong. You will be really fit by the time you are done schooling those boys. I think the lady will be a welcome relief. Maybe not as athletic, but certainly easier. Funny how laid back Tia sounds now that you have the powerhouse and Zip to work with.

My Boys had a blanket shredding party yesterday. Toby remained unscathed, but Chance and Tucker destroyed their 2 month old blankets. Snow/rain/sleet storm on the way, so fotunately I had replacements stashed away. Hope they last, otherwise Chance will have nothing to fit him.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Claire said...

well done, but as jean says be careful!

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well done. What a relief.

Judith

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

It was the way he went all the way down the road and over the bridge without having to be told again that got me! Doesn't that just prove it was a battle of wills and not fright on his part????

I doubt it'll be the last battle, but I hope it's the beginning of the end of the battles.

Ah, Jean, just love the blanket-shredding parties! WHY must they do that!!!

Thanks for the support chaps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home