Sunday, February 18, 2007

He's a coward!

A very interesting picture emerged last night. I called the horses in and Jazz hung back and would not enter the yard while Tetley was in it. I let Tetley out of the yard and he went into the barn and ate his food. The other three went into their stables and ate theirs. When they were finished I took Jazz and put him with Tetley in the barn and sat down to watch. First of all Jazz stayed away from Tetley and looked really scared of him. Then he started to chase him. Round and round and round. When I had seen enough, I took Jazz out and put Tia in. Jazz is actually terrified of Tetley and is bullying him out of cowardice, not bravery! What an odd creature he is!! I have given him lots of cuddles and reassurance this morning.

Zippy and he stayed on the yard last night, with Tia's 15x15 stable to share and plenty of haylage in racks on the wall. Tetley and Tia cuddled up in the barn. This morning I took Tia out, and Tetley did not bat an eyelid. I haven't seen him weave since 4.30am on Friday morning. It is testament to how badly he was being managed that he weaved so badly there but does not do it at all here.

When Tetley had finished his food, I let him into the yard, where he made a beeline for Jazz and breathed reassuringly up his nose with his ears forwards and a very friendly look on his face. I rugged them all back up (I'd taken them off to let their skin breath) and turned them out, and they split 3:1 and the 1 was Jazz! A while later, they were pretty much a foursome, no-one obviously left out, so I think they are getting themselves into some sort of order again.

He's looking absolutely great this morning, for a thin horse. He is definitely not ill. He has definitely been starved. I have also discovered that Victoria is a consummate liar, very convincing. When she bought Tetley, one of the reasons that I let her have him was that her "own" horse Knightly had destroyed her confidence with bad behaviour when ridden. I knew that Tetley would restore her confidence, as he did for me, and I hoped that would mean that she would love him forever for it, as I did.

Shortly after she took him, she told me that Knightly had been diagnosed with suspensory desmitis and was not able to work again. She told me that she was going to have him put down. In January, she told me that she had given him to a friend as a field companion. On Thursday, she told Allan that she had had him put down. You can imagine our surprise that we now believe that she actually sent the poor creature to auction. If so, she has sold a horse which is in pain when it is ridden, to be ridden again until someone else discovers what his problem is. And I wonder how much she cares about the human being whose heart and pocket might be broken by that action, never mind the welfare of the animal. Words fail me. Victoria if by chance this is not true, post now and put the story straight.

I will tell you now that Victoria left a card for me when I came to fetch him saying that everything Mary Lou had told me was lies. Because of her total inability to accept that she needed to change anything, I called the RSPCA. They have been too busy dealing with animals in current danger to come and see Tetley yet. There may be other thin horses at Beckbrook but none in as severe a state as he was, probably because he is an extraordinarily large horse and therefore suffered most, so I am not sure how much they can actually do for any horse still there. But if Victoria is reading this, then she now knows that people are watching. Victoria if you are in any doubt about feeding a big, blood horse then the formula is as follows:

A non-cob-type horse should eat 2% of its own bodyweight a day. For normal work, that should be 2/3 hay/forage and 1/3 hard food. Tetley used to weigh close to 700 kilos. That meant that in winter, when the grass has no value, he needed 14 kilos of food a day, 9-10 kilos of hay and 4-5 kilos of cubes or mix .

Now the others:

Tia - sounder today than yesterday. Good reason to believe she'll be fine in a day or two.

Jazz - absolutely hopping lame. I checked his foot and a chunk of sole fell out exposing a fairly deep hole about half an inch in diameter. So that answers that too, just a matter of time for him too, there are no symptoms of any spread of infection up his leg.

Zip - is a little star and had behaved really well through all of this. Come closer, I need to whisper this bit otherwise it will go to his head - a friend told me yesterday that one of the neighbouring liveries had seen Zip in the field and had asked her if I had bought a £15,000 horse :-0000 !!! :-)

Off to take SH for lunch and a walk in the sunshine!

C

8 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Jazz's behavior is endlessly fascinating. I love the fact that Tetley tried to reassure him and that they are now comfortable in the field together.

There are several posts on victoria's blog as well asking for an explanation. However, part of the truth is obvious--Tetley's condition, so she may call Mary Lou a liar if she will, but the evidence does not lie about the most important part of the whole story.

I'd wager that as your story gets around via the "horse network" a lot of people will be watching victoria. Were I she I would make sure every horse in my keeping was getting good food, enough food, plenty of roughage when they were turned out, adequate shelter, and kind, considerate handling.

Enjoy the sunshine. From this post I think you have a lot to be smiling about at this point.

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are looking after SH, he really is one in a million.

The photos of Tet's speak for themselves. Whether its deliberate and wilful neglect or simply mismagement, in all honesty horse keeping is not rocket science, I do hope he hasn't been starved just to save a pound here and there...... :-(

While I am relieved that it appears that there is nothing metabolically wrong with Tetley, it kind of makes it feel much worse.....

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tetley has always been the greatest boss horse. All his action is threat and never real violence. And he is a diplomat too, as today showed.

///I do hope he hasn't been starved just to save a pound here and there...... :-(

I doubt it Mandeigh, according to Allan he was fed Blue Chip! Now that stuff is £35 a bag!!!! But it's sod all use feeding the most expensive balancer in the world if you aren't giving the horse enough basic calories. I think she is incompetent at feeding non-cobs. Her culpability is in the fact that several people have tried to tell her so and she won't listen!
She seems to live in some kind of fantasy world where, like an anorexic looking in the mirror, she can look at a starving horse and think it looks fine.

C

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, glad things are on the up, Tetley must be sooooo relieved his ordeal is over. I believe you can see them improve in 48 hours if all it was was lack of food. I look forward to seeing a picture of him in a week's time :o)

I see the marvellous Tia is still your best horse - can't beat a good mare, one day you'll agree (only joking!)

Cheers to SH too, where would you be without him?

xx Tracey B

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is making me feel very tired, the thought of looking after 4 horses! It is nice that they are all starting to settle down and how sweet of Tetley to approach Jazz kindly.

Jazz's behaviour is interesting. Again, the horse that is frightened shows up as being agressive.

Best wishes to SH, and you. I hope you had a nice walk today!

Judith

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jazz sounds like Polo ...a total wuss deep down so tries to act the big man! :):)

Sounds like Victoria's been basically full of c@#p..talks a good talk but not got a clue.
Its much harder to go wrong with a cob type who'll do well on the bare essentials but a big horse like Tetley needs feeding!
Having said that she needs to go to spec savers if she couldnt see he was wasting away my totally non horsey OH was horrified at the pics... so sorry V NO excuse for it!!

Pleased he's doing ok..god I wish he wasnt so big and I wasnt so bleeding small!

Kiss to Tia for being such a honey:)

Nicola

BTW C..bit of news Emma's got a bun in the oven!!!!!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been away for a long weekend since thursday and have only just read everything that has happened. I am just speechless. I cannot believe that horse is Tetley. How on earth could she let him get like that? Even to an uneducated eye he looks starved and neglected, so how someone could think this was acceptable is just beyond me. Even if she doesn't know how to feed horses like tetley as oppose to cobs, surely you would get some help rather than leave a horse suffering like that? As you say, no matter how much Blue Chip etc he was getting, if he lacks the basics then he won't keep anything on. At least Mary-Lou took some interest in him and was concerned enough to get in contact with you! Sorry to go on, but this has made me so angry and upset! Goodness knows how you feel about the whole thing. The poor, poor boy. He must be so happy to know he is back with you where he is going to get the care and attention every horse deserves and has a right to. I'm still fuming sorry!
Lou* xx

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Nicola congratulate Emma for me. True, you would look a bit silly on him!

Lou you feel free to rant! I am now certain that she both starved and mentally tortured my horse (by making him unsure when his next meal or water would arrive) for 17 weeks. I loathe her with a vengeance.

Judith I'm certainly not fussed that no-one is fit to ride! Four is not my first choice. Zip was against my better judgement when winter isn't over, never mind another!! I just thank my lucky stars that I have the facilities and the money to do it.

You can bet your bottom dollar you'll be seeing that picture Tracey!

I've passed your comment on Ann. He is indeed one in a million.

C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home